ghost

Avoiding Sea Robins

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Tried to catch a few fluke yesterday, but the Sea Robins were out of control. I changed locations many time but they always found me. Changed bait from live to gulp/rubber and even metal but the robins never stopped. There were fluke but I believe the robins just kept beating them to the bait. I was catching 15-20 robins for every fluke bite (usually shorts). Sea Robin strips just turned them on even worst. Tried a big snapper and the robins just hung on to the bait has I reeled in, they could not even fit it in their mouth, but they tried over and over again. I finally gave up.

I was just wondering if there are tricks out there to avoid the birds?

Fish for Blues or Bass. You will not catch a Robin. 
I get keeper fluke by accident and haven’t caught one Bird this season.

Look up the proven fluke method from shore on here, long thread maybe this will help you.

Don't curse the darkness, turn on a light!  Nothing wrong with eating Sea Robins.  Like any other fish, properly prepared they're very good.  It's a common table fish in Europe.

If you invite me to the Sea Robin spot, I will take care of them but seriously if you do find them, you may want to move to a new spot for fluke. I love to catch Sea Robin when fluke and other fish are not biting. They are good eating fish when you store them well in a ice cold cooler before taking them home. I agree that the Sea Robin will attack your offerings before the fluke. 

I have eaten them and they are Ok, but not fluke. I fish a lot and I have never seen so many and all large ones. 

22 hours ago, ghost said:

I have eaten them and they are Ok, but not fluke. I fish a lot and I have never seen so many and all large ones. 

Eat em.   Save and salt the belly for strips.  Use the racks for crab bait.

I donno, I think sea robin and fluke reside the same space. So I think if you find a place with sea robin, there is bound to be fluke around(maybe I am wrong).

The other day I went out and can't find crap for the life of me, except small scups and bait fish.