Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RICH SWISS

Hatteras striper bite , IS ON FIRE !!!!!!!!!

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

I could not take this winter any more , A buddy of mine lives in Virgina and has been on BIG BASS off of Oregon inlet for two months now . I made a few calls to the normal crew and set out for Hatteras last Monday night with two other guy's and my bud from Virgina was going to meet us for two day's of winter time striper fishin off Oregon inlet. He told me about the LARGE that are being caught out there every day , and he was not lieing . On Tuesday afternoon 2/10 we went out on a 4 hour afternoon trip on the Fin-Galley 50' sport fisherman. As we left the inlet and headed north the mate told us how good the fishin has been . About a mile or so up the beach the captain looked over the rail of the bridge and told us to SHARPEN THE HOOKS BOY'S , I GOT THEM ON RADAR . I didn't understand how he had fish on radar until we cruised into a flock of Gannets like I have never seen before , diving like giant snow flakes , the water was just boiling from all the birds hitting it, as far as you could see. We did not want to troll at all , we just wanted to jig spoons and shads or bucktails . My first cast with a 5 oz. spoon never made it to the bottom and I was into a 20 pluse lb. bass. This went on non-stop until we left for the day . All 4 of us were into fish on just about every cast for 4 hours and I think maybe 10 fish out of nearly 70 caught were under 15 lbs. My buddy jack caught his personal best twice that afternoon first a 37 lber and then later a 41lber . We all had atleast 10 fish over the 30 lb mark icon25.gif . This place is insane .

Day two Wednesday morning trip 4 hrs. again. 60 degs. and sunny . We ran to the same area and hooked up on our first casts again. This time the fish were more normal sized , still averaged 18 to 20 lbs. but more fish 12 to 15 lbs. then the day before. We counted 60 fish in three hours of fishing , all on big spoons and 9" and 12 " shad body's on 4 and 6 oz. heads.

The fishing was so good that we stayed one more day then we were supposed to and fished on Thursday afternoon , in the rain and a good north east blow . Now this is striper fishing . Well this turned out to be the best day of them all . One guy had to get back to work so it was just three of us . We ened up with 75 bass caught and I don't think 10 of those fish were under 18 lbs. I have never in my life seen fishing like this .It seemed every fish was 20 to 35 lbs. I will post pictures as soon as I can get a chance . You can see whats goin on if you look at oregon-inlet.com and go into fishing reports . We did not catch a 50 while we were there but they are catching them everyday. I have never seen so many fish from 30 to 50 lbs in one place in all my life . Every fish over 20 lbs. on the east coast must be there right now and feeding like crazy on big bunkers.

Thanks to the Capt. and crew of the Fin-Galley for the striper expierence of a life time. If there is any chance that any of you can get away and go down there you don't want to miss this . They do make up charters every day or bring a crew . A half day charter is $400 for 4 hrs. I'd be glad to give you any other info you guy's may need . YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS IF YOU CAN HELP IT. "SWISS"

You think this is the same school of fish that were off Breezy/Sandy Hook in early December? THt actually sounds like fun, Porgy fishing for Striped Bass. Any double headers? I know you NJ guys love teh teasers.

icon14.gificon14.gif

The captain posted pics of you guys in the fishing reports on his website. Called your group the traveling tackle store. He included a pic of the gannets 2/12 (double rain). Awesome trip.

Your buddy Jack is a big dude!! Did he cause the boat to list. smile.gif

Billy40 ; the school of fish that you refered to last spring could very well be these fish . If it is GET READY this year because the school is ten times the size . The fish in Hatteras are covering miles and miles of ocean . There were DNR people at the docks every day taking survey's . They told us that there are between 40 and 60 million adult bass off NC right now. The mate told us that they had fish tagged from the hudson this year. I can only hope they show here and stay for some time. We didn't throw any teasers , these fish were to big to play that game and the bait they are on is to big also. When they troll they have been loading up the rigs with three and four fish at a shot. It has been common to pull up 3 30lbers. at one time.

feetinsand ; Jack is a big man and caught some big fish , the boat was a 50 footer so it didn't move at all but that is something we have to keep our eye on when we pick a boat. wink.gif . COME ON SPRING TIME : "SWISS"

Dude, you're KILLING me. waaah.gif

I should have gone. I'd probably be in the middle of divorce proceedings right now but it sounds like it would have been worth it!

Give me a call at home tomorrow.

That's an awful lot of nice bass. No excuses for anyone not getting a 40# this spring. smile.gif

Was at a bash with Billy the Greek as a speaker. He was talking about the best time in 20 years to get a large or a world record. This year and next. His guess is as good as anyone's. smile.gif

Rich, My cousin and 4 others fished that same Monday 2/10 out of Oregon Inlet and told the same story.

Birds for as far as the eye could see, Pelicans, Gannets, etc ... 30# plus fish tailing the surface ... double hookups of Large so often they went to single hooks. Largest for that crew was 52# followed by one in the 40's a 36# and the smallest being 16#.

Their captain said that the preceeding week one of his charters caught a double and both fish were over 50#! icon25.gif