JimKu

Squid jig substitute

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

So the last few years I’ve come across squid but didn’t have squid jig. Is there another lure that would catch them?  

Yes but it's very difficult. Basically if you have something with a treble just put it down there and wait for the squids to see if it's food or not and grab onto it.

Thing is they won't be sticking themselves so easily so you'll need to really be on it and you gotta actually get it into the squid yet not too hard cause the tentacles will rip off with enough sudden force. Ideally you won't have barbs. But in my experience when you can see the squid, it's easier to snag them than to catch them if you don't have the jig. Likewise, easier to net them as well.

But honestly, anyone who fishes saltwater should always have a squid jig in their gear in case they come across some. It's 100x more effective, quite cheap to buy, and takes up very little space.

Posted (edited)

White band-aid tape on any sinking lure with trebles (rigged backwards)

Edited by SC

Posted (edited)

We used to throw a weighted treble hook and just rip it through the school. Usually it'll snag a few on the way in. Keeping 1-2 squid jigs in the bag at all times wouldnt be a bad idea, doesnt take up alot of space .

Edited by VitaminDee

Yeah, squid don't often show up here where I live in midcoast Maine but when it happens and you don't have a jig it's incredibly frustrating to the point that I bought one earlier this year on a whim just because it was there on the shelf

Was just beginning to think it was an ambitious purchase when I went to go night fishing at bar harbor and noticed squid jumping out of the water followed by porpoising seals that were chasing them. So I found a dock with lights, put the squid jig on and had a grand ole time collecting a ton of them for food and bait.

I also don't want to get all preachy but ethically speaking squid are doing better than they ever have. Their lifespans are so short that they survive massive harvesting better than most species. And because a lot of the fish that eat squid aren't around anymore they've thrived. This has a knock-on effect where they now also go and eat the food that these declining fish would be eating (as well as the young fish themselves) so there's less food around for those fish to rebound in the event of other pressures that caused their decline would subside.

IE the cod are going to have a much tougher time rebounding now because the squid are vacuuming up all the food they'd eat.

If I see squid, I'm taking out the jig and going to collect them aggressively, not so much because I want to catch squid, but because that could mean there will be one more cod.

You can catch them on sabiki rigs if needed.  

If you are fishing a dock and they are cruising in the lights you can just drop a treble hook and snag them.  Hang the hook a little deeper than they are cruising and target specific squid instead of just yanking t through a general area.

sam

Squid jigs did not exist in this country  when  I first started jigging for squid in the early 1970s.  I learned to catch them from old time Portuguese fishermen who used treble hooks wrapped with tin foil.  The tin foil was perfect because it allows a slower decent.  Most to the fishing was with long cane poles under dock lights. 

BB18CB31-D11A-4581-94C1-9E8D70A9D2B4.jpeg

1 hour ago, DZ said:

Squid jigs did not exist in this country  when  I first started jigging for squid in the early 1970s.  I learned to catch them from old time Portuguese fishermen who used treble hooks wrapped with tin foil.  The tin foil was perfect because it allows a slower decent.  Most to the fishing was with long cane poles under dock lights. 

BB18CB31-D11A-4581-94C1-9E8D70A9D2B4.jpeg

cool