jgallagher3

Vehicle Wash Down

41 posts in this topic

Just curious if people wash their vehicle down (primarily the undercarriage) after each outing on the beach and if so what you use to do it.  I generally just use a hose with a spray nozzle to rinse the frame, brakes, and wheel wells but have seen some homemade solutions to do this more effectively.  Looking for some ideas.

Thanks

I'll rinse the frame of my 2020 4runner with a hose along with my fishing gear when I get home. I'll use "salty captain" wash occasionally or some generic soap at a self-carwash every month or so. I hope I'm not being too lazy about it, but I haven't noticed any rust yet.

Cheer,

Eric

i stick a lawn sprinkler under the truck. Let it run 4-5 minutes, then  move it around to another location let it run, and repeat until I cover the whole undercarriage. 

I pay for undercarriage wash at the car wash 4 or 5 times a year. problem is, wherever the sand or rust is its usaully in places the water just doesn't get to.

I'm not one to follow though, my past brings a $3k bill for a subframe on a Toyota Highlander I bought brand new in 2001, I'd say the frame lasted 12 years before the engine almost fell out. So, although I don't preach PM, it might be worth a try.

My strategy these days since the Highlander croaked in 2015 with 235K on it, is to buy older good shape vehicles for around $10K, run them for 3 years and sell em' for $3-5K so my losses are minimal (try to keep my losses under $150 a month, including maintenance) which is getting harder. I don't do anything myself anymore, even gave up brake jobs and oil changes and set of tires is around an $800 bill.

The secret I believe is to buy Japanese, Honda, Toyota, or Subaru. I ran 2 Subaru Foresters into the ground and am currently enjoying a 2012 Honda Pilot Ive owned for 2 years, paid $9k for it and can prolly' still get it. Nice sturdy vehicle, gas slob 16/17 low 20's on the road, like 21. No more $30-40K newbies to ruin in the sand.

My next plan is to keep the Honda 2-3 more years,  buy a used Hyundai Santa Cruz?, their new pickup, which will give good mpg and maybe I can pick a 3 or 4 year old with 60k miles on it for $15K. At least thats the plan, now. Subject to change but I keep liking the thought.

Pray tell, where can you can get a functional 4WD vehicle for 10k?

Lawn sprinkler hook to outside hot water. Better job IMHO. Some will argue the merits, your mileage may vary.

adam42,

Yes it's almost impossible these days to get a reliable 4x4 (lower transfer case) for 10k. I've been looking for a beater truck I can put a snow plow on and it's 17k+ for a crap cab. Inflation I guess!.  "bringatrailer.com" has some cool used trucks, but everyone is looking at them and are bid up. Your best bet is to find something local. Very hard- good luck!

Cheers,

murpher

Posted (edited)

I bought this and haven't tried it yet but it looks like it might work.  It attaches to a pressure washer.

Undercarriage Cleaner for Pressure Washer, Under Carriage Power Washer Attachment with 45 Degree Angled Wand, 4 High Sprayer, 1/4 Quick Connect and Swivel Caster Wheel (Silver)

pw.webp

Edited by NJTramcar

Yeah I'm in the market for a car, can't justify buying anything right now so I'll just continue driving my late granpas mercury beater until then.

A buddy considered buying a new car 2 years ago and decided not to pull the trigger. Went in again last month and again chose not to do it. But most importantly, the dealer was now offering 2x more for that same car now with 2 more years & another 20k miles on it because the value of even 2nd hand ones have gone up so much.

Just insane, terrible time to buy anything right now.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:26 PM, Catch This said:

i stick a lawn sprinkler under the truck. Let it run 4-5 minutes, then  move it around to another location let it run, and repeat until I cover the whole undercarriage. 

This sounds so much easier than crawling on the ground. I'll give this a try.

Couple times a year on the entire truck besides normal washing. 
I actually use the Miracle Grow dispenser. :laugh: 

E9C6A4A4-CFA4-445E-ACBD-DC57EDF7590B.jpeg

26C2D474-EF68-4E76-B17A-350550657649.jpeg

On 8/26/2022 at 4:26 PM, Catch This said:

I erroneously hit the thumbs down button. I meant to hit the thumbs up. I do the same think using a Lawn sprinkler.  Sorry for any misunderstanding. Good Luck

sb

Ehhh....jump in the truck during a heavy rain and go grab a 6 pack, hit all the puddles you can.

I just spray everything down with a hose and nozzle.  It's not perfect and there's definitely some surface rust down there, but driving in the winter is probably worse for that than the little bit of beach driving I do.

I have a WaterPort that I keep on the car for giving things a quick rinse after hiking, beach, fishing, etc. Works perfectly for a quick rinse of the undercarriage until I can do a proper one later on, but yes, 100% gets rinsed down.