RAW

Steelhead fishing NY? Who goes?

63 posts in this topic

D5A8B587-A5C6-404B-B637-B6FDEC9EDD31.jpeg.bb03172bea0b3bc5bc0d5ea7cc1dce94.jpegHaven’t been back in 5 yrs, fished it 30 with fly rod. Taking grandson first for salmon and coho. Then will go back a few times for steelie’s. Back gets done Sept 1, 

FFDF33DC-9AFD-47FE-A6AC-5E902B592C1E.jpeg

B2DF4326-7380-41D7-804F-CB97BFD207EF.jpeg

CE5E6BD5-A395-463F-B5E6-DBA69F0351B8.jpeg

27 mins ago, bassturds said:

I love the run!! 

7BC526E2-D92F-4422-AE24-345171FA8047.jpeg

4E3769C5-CB52-4D66-8B51-B221DCE261C8.jpeg

D90FAD68-19BB-4CA9-AAEC-A0C34BB7175F.jpeg

6A873186-7F9A-4C1D-B03E-35CC449520EA.jpeg

84022B60-57E8-4084-B306-2F8C740A0CEE.jpeg

8210377A-13C3-4F11-AF04-D4BCA0639B4A.jpeg

C7B431E5-2611-4F64-A146-3EB67C2D928B.jpeg

awesome fishery, I see you know some creeks. Oak Orchard, I fish mostly Salmon River, Oswego and small tribs in winter

18 mins ago, RAW said:

awesome fishery, I see you know some creeks. Oak Orchard, I fish mostly Salmon River, Oswego and small tribs in winter

Never fished out that way! Always west past Rochester 

Going for the first time this fall! I'm a little anxious because I've never done anything like it before. I fish the salt almost exclusively, and when I do hit freshwater it's always weed-choked mill ponds. Any cheap tackle recommendations?  

47 mins ago, JimmyBean said:

Going for the first time this fall! I'm a little anxious because I've never done anything like it before. I fish the salt almost exclusively, and when I do hit freshwater it's always weed-choked mill ponds. Any cheap tackle recommendations?  

Buy lots of hooks and weights you will lose them.  I do a lot of bottom bouncing. Split shot with a bead, jig, fly, or egg sac. A small marabou jig, tube jig or stuff like that will work great. I use 1/16 and 1/32 ounce jig I tie.   Bead rig is something you need to look up, you peg the bead above the hook. It has a natural buoyancy like an egg.  They eat the bead then hook themself.   There’s so many different colors to use. Like beads. Natural egg colors work. That’s a huge topic. Like orange clear looks like a fresh egg, a gold roe looks like a fresh dead egg, apricot looks like a dead egg that’s been in the river for a while. Then you have bright pinks, oranges and chartreuse. Those are striker colors. Where the fish sees it and has to eat it. That’s an aggressive strike.  With jigs and flies. Well that’s different. Flies can look like eggs, smolt, egg sucking leach, or aquatic insects.  Jigs can be natural or bright reaction Strike colors . My buddy swears by white marabou jig, he won’t fish anything else. While I’ll try every single color I have in my box.  Whites, pinks, olives, blacks, chartreuse, color combos or single Colors are all good. 

A lot of people float fish, the problem with float fishing  is you need to know the water your fishing. There’s different size floats for different water. Like fast and shallow or deep and slow. Then you need to know how much weight you need.   That’s really advance and I’m still figuring that out.   For the most part if you do want to float. You can use a small clear float like blood run floats.  Then add a split shot  or 2, then add you lure or bait. 

Posted (edited)

Been making the trip to Salmon River from CT since the 80’s when they 1st opened the C&R Fly Fishing section. Going this November 6-13. The fresh fall fish still are the best and still get my heart rate up. There have been good years and not so good years. I hope this is a good one. 

Good luck with your back 1st and good luck with your grandson. 

Edited by steingm

4 mins ago, steingm said:

Been making the trip to Salmon River from CT since the 80’s when they 1st opened the C&R Fly Fishing section. Going this November 6-13. The fresh fall fish still are the best and still get my heart rate up. There have been good years and not so good years. I hope this is a good one. 

Sons have been going last 5 years, 2-3 fall trips after Columbus Day. Nothing beats a "Chromer"

photo5.JPG

photo.JPG

photo2.JPG

On 8/26/2022 at 0:02 PM, bassturds said:

Buy lots of hooks and weights you will lose them.  I do a lot of bottom bouncing. Split shot with a bead, jig, fly, or egg sac. A small marabou jig, tube jig or stuff like that will work great. I use 1/16 and 1/32 ounce jig I tie.   Bead rig is something you need to look up, you peg the bead above the hook. It has a natural buoyancy like an egg.  They eat the bead then hook themself.   There’s so many different colors to use. Like beads. Natural egg colors work. That’s a huge topic. Like orange clear looks like a fresh egg, a gold roe looks like a fresh dead egg, apricot looks like a dead egg that’s been in the river for a while. Then you have bright pinks, oranges and chartreuse. Those are striker colors. Where the fish sees it and has to eat it. That’s an aggressive strike.  With jigs and flies. Well that’s different. Flies can look like eggs, smolt, egg sucking leach, or aquatic insects.  Jigs can be natural or bright reaction Strike colors . My buddy swears by white marabou jig, he won’t fish anything else. While I’ll try every single color I have in my box.  Whites, pinks, olives, blacks, chartreuse, color combos or single Colors are all good. 

A lot of people float fish, the problem with float fishing  is you need to know the water your fishing. There’s different size floats for different water. Like fast and shallow or deep and slow. Then you need to know how much weight you need.   That’s really advance and I’m still figuring that out.   For the most part if you do want to float. You can use a small clear float like blood run floats.  Then add a split shot  or 2, then add you lure or bait. 

Hey thanks for the great response. I think I was going to try and drift some eggs with split shot to get it down - I know people use this technique for salmon. Once you start diving into colors I'm totally lost! I have these orange/red eggs I'll put on a size 6 egg hook. 

Google videos on fishing salmon or fishing steelhead in rivers or. Tribs, most are great and easy to grasp, Remember everything is a learning curve, just enjoy the place, expect little 1 st few trips

Nice meeting you last week Bob, Hope your DRS appt went well that day. I go tomorrow to see what my deal is with my left hip. The shot didnt do much for me over the last month, probably be planning for a hip soon. I will hopefully have your reel done in the next 4 or 5 days or so. I do have your number as well, you have mine. thanks. Send me a text or call me, curious to what you are having done. Being retired now,  I could probably get it done real soon. 

On 8/29/2022 at 0:56 PM, JimmyBean said:

Hey thanks for the great response. I think I was going to try and drift some eggs with split shot to get it down - I know people use this technique for salmon. Once you start diving into colors I'm totally lost! I have these orange/red eggs I'll put on a size 6 egg hook. 

Feel free to PM me with any questions!  Atlas mikes works great, I fish them on 1/0 octopus hooks. Colors are pretty straight forward. Try them all lol.  

Posted (edited)

I only did it once on New Years, Altmar with salmon egg sacks and wooden floats, froze my ass off but it was fun times, now i have a house upstate and it's a 2hr run to Pulaski i need to get back there

Edited by Sandflee

Have a buddy who's son just started attending Fredonia College, anything close to there thats good for salmon or steelhead run?