Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jaiem

Monsters from the deep

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Last year was the year of the giant squid in Rhode Island. It started with big hauls of jumbo squid out of the pound traps and continued through late spring.

I've seen them as large as 32" long off the breakwater at Point Judith.

Beware the beast...Architeuthis!

For a better look at these fantastic creatures of the deep...check out http://dsc.discovery.com/stories/nat...uids/meet.html

and take the "Flash" voyage.

squid.gif

[This message has been edited by Fish_Eye (edited 02-01-2001).]

Is that the famous "pen cap" lure? Also, how much better is fresh squid vs. frozen? I guess enough better to warrant soending fishing time jigging for them. Although if you're like me, you can start having fun catching little stuff and forget about what you came for.

Hi Rich. Yes, that's the famous Pen squid jig, white Bic Pen tube actually, not the pen cap. White seems best but on some nights red/white, all red and even blue seems to have a slight advantage. It outfishes the commercial jigs 100 to 1 at BI. The closest you can get would be a Yozuri jig and those are very expensive. Much thanks again to the local who showed it to me a couple of years ago.

Is that the famous "pen cap" lure? Also, how much better is fresh squid vs. frozen? I guess enough better to warrant soending fishing time jigging for them. Although if you're like me, you can start having fun catching little stuff and forget about what you came for.

Rich--night and day. When we used to drown bait for the Large off South Beach on the Vineyard, if the bait wasn't caught in the last 6 hours, it didn't get used. I think it's even more dramatic than the differecnce fresh vs frozen bunker makes.

Jigging squid is fun--just ask Tim biggrin.gif Oops, was I supposed to let that one out, Tim, that you jigged up some squid from Memorial Wharf in October on MV? We were going to use it to tip some jigs, but the plug bite was so hot, we never got around to trying it.

Wear dark clothes--squid ink is forever, it doesn't come out. And let the little bugger shoot it after he breaks the surface before you hoist it up to the dock wink.gif