ksong

yellowtail popping from rocks in remote islands in Kiorea 2022

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

24 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

I wish that I was there with you...

Me too! It’d be a sausage party but with actual tuna tacos!!

1 hour ago, ksong said:

I am in Korea.  I couldn't visit korea last 2 years due to Covid 19.

As soon as I arrived at Seoul, I headed for Chuja Island in the Sourthern Korea.

I arrived at Chuja Island by ferry around 9 am and I fished yellowtail popping with another Korean angler in a remote Island off Chuja by 11 am.  Yellowtail popping was good. I released many yellowtail. Most were  small 8 - 12 lb. But I couldn't stop two big fish. I will fish next 4 - 5 days for yellowtail and suzuki ( Japanese seabass) in different islands off Chuja.

I used light 10' Black Hole Suzuki rod and IRT 500 DD reel filed wiith 60 lb braid and 80 lb leader line.

*snipped photos*

@ksong i just got back from korea, damn, your trip looks awesome compared to 2 weeks of rain and flood and rain...

was watching a lot of fishing shows there and seems many/most use an extremely long rod for yellowtail off the cliffs... 

i think they were not using plugs... bait and they all seemed to have a bucket of chum.

2nd day of yellowtail popping

We went to the famous island which is regarded as one of the top producers. But we encountered slow fishing 

We got only a few yellowtail and my fishing buddy Cho got two Suzuki. The biggest yellowtail is 115cm estimated at 25 lb

We are going to try different island tomorrow.

20220826_171621.jpg

20220826_165530.jpg

20220826_090818.jpg

20220826_082130.jpg

20220826_082308.jpg

Nice, I've fished a bunch at Dalian and only caught a starfish. Every time I was in Korea it seemed like there was some pretty good structure at places but alas I never brought my rod.

If the fishing decent when not on the islands? IE would you have good expectations casting from Busan or Seoul?

Thanks for the report

Posted (edited)

Final day of yellowtail popping in Korea.

We went to a very popular island again and found nobody was there. They bite in ebb tide and we had two hours good fishing left. We had non stop hot bites for two hours. I lost a monster yellowtail again as wire inside lure got pulled ou! !!

It is so much fun to watch yellowtail chase fast moving surface lure and slam it.

Fabulous yellowtail popping finally ended. I am looking forward to next year's yellowtail popping in Korea.

chuja202220.jpg

chuja202221.jpg

chuja202223.jpg

chuja202224.jpg

chuja202225.jpg

Edited by ksong

On 8/27/2022 at 0:39 AM, adam42 said:

Nice, I've fished a bunch at Dalian and only caught a starfish. Every time I was in Korea it seemed like there was some pretty good structure at places but alas I never brought my rod.

If the fishing decent when not on the islands? IE would you have good expectations casting from Busan or Seoul?

Thanks for the report

I like to fish the best place. :)

40 mins ago, StriperKim said:

The next time I visit my in laws in Seoul I’m going to bring some fly and surf gear!

I've scoured the beaches pretty extensively while both in mainland and Jeju. Those waters are worked solid, at any given point you're going to see multiple people out there scuba diving and collecting seaweed, urchins, or bivalves. With all that intensive foraging going on, I bet the only good fishing is to go somewhere more remote like OP did.

Haven't fished though so could be mistaken but OP also seemed to indicate it was much better where he went. I did fish nearby in China, where there's also heavy foraging pressure and caught nada.

14 mins ago, adam42 said:

I've scoured the beaches pretty extensively while both in mainland and Jeju. Those waters are worked solid, at any given point you're going to see multiple people out there scuba diving and collecting seaweed, urchins, or bivalves. With all that intensive foraging going on, I bet the only good fishing is to go somewhere more remote like OP did.

Haven't fished though so could be mistaken but OP also seemed to indicate it was much better where he went. I did fish nearby in China, where there's also heavy foraging pressure and caught nada.

I understand the coast is heavily fished commercially but it would be fun to poke around a bit. The freshwater fly fishing scene looks good and I have a few contacts that do alright with lenok, brown trout, and even salmon. Anyways always fun to find an excuse to fish somewhere new! 

We’re you stationed in Korea?

I just spent 15 years traveling and a lot of it in Asia. Probably been to Korea a good half dozen times averaging 2 weeks or so each visit. Really love it out there, an awesome place.

Life jacket and spiked shoes are mandatory when you fish from the rock in Korea.
But you need to go to remote island like Chuja Island off Jeju Island.
However there are good opportunities to fish fresh water bass or snakehead thoughout  Korea.

Posted (edited)

review of the trip

It was an exciting trip.  It was fun just to watch big yellowtail chasing the surface lure and hit and miss and hit again. 

Unfortunately the trip is not foe everyone. You have to speak Korean or hire an translator as they don't speak English. 

Wearing life jacket and spiked shoes are mandatory as rocks are dangerous and current is extremely strong. 

For unknown reason, majority bites were in ebb tide.  They bite in strong current.

You got to fight yellowtail in strong current in splipper rocks.

The technique is simple. You cast as far as you canBu and crank as fast as you can.

Pencil popper type lures are working. But they use mostly fish shaped stickbat and crank very fast like using pencil popers. 

I used IRT reels and I didn't get as many bites as othe angler who used fast gear ratio reels.

I recommend to use heavy 60 lb - 80 lb braid as yellowtail go into structure when hooked like street fighters. StilI I lost all big ones. 

The time to fish is when current become strong like full moon or new moon like striped bass.

You can catch as early as April, but more fish show up from June to Oct.  The prime time is Sept and Oct there. 

I plan to go during full moon in Sept next year.

I saw other angler wears a nice shoes for fishing rock. He said it work great and very light.  So I ordered one.  It is pretty cheap. I bought them for $60. I use korker or Daiwa shoes, but they are heavy. I am going to use them when I go to texas for big durm and tarpon at jetties in Oct.

sagozeroF401.jpg

sagozero.jpg

Edited by ksong