gellfex

Anyone get a travel rod on the plane as an extra carry-on?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

I traveled to Maui last week with some light tackle lures and a spinning reel with line on my carry-on. Not a problem getting through TSA and back. I also brought a spool of fluorocarbon leader line as well. 

I spotted a guy taking a small 2-piece ultralight rod and spinning reel outfit on his backpack as a carry on. No tube, no case, just straight up rod & reel on the water bottle holder of his backpack shoved inside the overhead compartment of the plane.

I’ve carried two Salt Striker three piece rods in tubular cases on American to Jacksonville several times and will again this Wednesday, hasn’t been a problem.

They fit easily in the overheads and as they are in rigid cloth covered tubes, can be pushed around up there pretty safely.

My recently flew Frontier up here to pick up my old truck and said that their carry on policies are wild.  They only allow you a purse or laptop bag… everything else is charged for.  Point being, airlines are different.  I’d look up the particular airlines policies so your not surprised.  I also think that status on an airline matters.  For many years I was Executive Platinum on AA.  I accumulated 2 Million + miles and got “lifetime platinum” which really only gets you free baggage, early boarding and an occasional upgrade anymore, but, I’ve never had a baggage hassle or lost luggage (knocking on wood now…) issue.

Jeff B.

6 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

I find putting the travel rod in my regular luggage works the best …problem is making sure your rod fits in the luggage …

Me too.. So I use 4-pc rods.. I got back last week from Tulum MX, and that's exactly what I did.... One of my concerns about having the rod sticking out of a carry-on or back pack, is if the overhead is full (and it usually is), and they make you check it.  The baggage handlers tossing it around the luggage with the rod sticking out is a recipe for disaster...

Butch

2 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

Me too.. So I use 4-pc rods.. I got back last week from Tulum MX, and that's exactly what I did.... One of my concerns about having the rod sticking out of a carry-on or back pack, is if the overhead is full (and it usually is), and they make you check it.  The baggage handlers tossing it around the luggage with the rod sticking out is a recipe for disaster...

Butch

i have 4-pc rods 10' long, so the tube is something like 33" -and i think 3.5" diameter?  Depending on what size plane (the bigger ones have bigger overheads), it hasnt been a problem to put it on top of the rollaways and still fit up there.

BUT,  I also just kept it out on the flight home recently, (window seat) and sort of covered it from view with my leg and extra sweatshirt.  My thoughts are that they are looking for bigger items like bags that need to be stowed. 

when I travel with fly rods I always bring spinning travel rods as well usually 2 fly rods and 2 spinners I carry on a 32 inch tube with no issues 

On 8/25/2022 at 1:17 AM, gellfex said:

Can I take a 25" travel rod in a nylon fabric sleeve on board in addition to a carry-on and a personal bag? It doesn't fit in the carry-on.

Like 12 years ago I had a 38" x 3" cardboard rod tube and they insisted either it or my carry-on had to be checked. Before then they used to be a lot looser about tennis rackets, rods and stuff. I remember people boarding with armloads of shopping bags and random crap in addition to their carry-on. Times change....

I have always taken rods on planes with no issue. Carry it in your hand as a carry on item and put it in the over head bin.

I do 2-piece rods only. 50/50 split up to 10ft is not an issue. Heck, I have even done 8ft rods butted into the handle. Most over head bins are big enough to fit a grown adult.

I do prefer Southwest.