gellfex

Anyone get a travel rod on the plane as an extra carry-on?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Can I take a 25" travel rod in a nylon fabric sleeve on board in addition to a carry-on and a personal bag? It doesn't fit in the carry-on.

Like 12 years ago I had a 38" x 3" cardboard rod tube and they insisted either it or my carry-on had to be checked. Before then they used to be a lot looser about tennis rackets, rods and stuff. I remember people boarding with armloads of shopping bags and random crap in addition to their carry-on. Times change....

I just carried on 4 travel rods with United this week but all the individual tubes were in one travel backpack.

All 4-5 piece rods

This is akin to asking if anyone can lick their elbow - their experience is going to be 100% independent of your own. Restrictions vary on country, airline, gate agent, their mood, the alignment of the stars, and a dozen other things. Your best bet is to act casual, hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.

Posted (edited)

Will it fit in your checked bags?... That's what I do, and have never had a problem..

Butch

Edited by Midnightpass

4 hours ago, MikeK said:

I carry on two travel rods on almost every flight I take.  They are attached to my backpack.

Same attached it to backpack no issues 

5 hours ago, MikeK said:

I carry on two travel rods on almost every flight I take.  They are attached to my backpack.

As @Camhabibsaid, so much depends on the personnel. I've definitely had security or gate agents who would not let something through that doesn't fit in the 'test box', and a rod sticking out of backpack would not pass! But it's definitely a good plan and I'll give it a shot. Assuming I can get everything else into a carry-on and not have to check a bag.

I attach two travel rods in a nylon sleeve to my backpack and have never had anyone bat an eye (well, once in a foreign country).

3 hours ago, gellfex said:

As @Camhabibsaid, so much depends on the personnel. I've definitely had security or gate agents who would not let something through that doesn't fit in the 'test box', and a rod sticking out of backpack would not pass! But it's definitely a good plan and I'll give it a shot. Assuming I can get everything else into a carry-on and not have to check a bag.

I always have a checked bag with fishing items that can't be carried on (large hooks).  Out of 20 round trip flights to foreign countries in the Caribbean and S. America (both work and pleasure trips), only Trinidad made me put the travel rod tubes in my checked bag.  I was terrified that I was going to arrive at my destination with two broken rods. 

My rods and reels stay with me until they cannot. I prefer not to trust TSA agents with keeping my gear intact.

Having the right bag pack is key to this.  You want something with dual water bottle holders on both sides with adjustable straps further up.  With this setup, the butt of the travel rod tubes sit in the water bottle holder and are secured further up the side of the bag with the straps.  This makes it look like they are part of the bag.  I personally rock an Osprey Bag for this kind of travel.

I wouldn’t worry about it. I haven’t noticed anyone checking sizes or quantity of any carry on items on flights I’ve been on in years. 

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, adam42 said:

What travel rods you guys recommend?

I only used it on one trip last winter in FL, but the Tsunami Classic 3 pc was inexpensive at like $90 and great for the specks and small snook. No idea how it would hold up to a monster snook, but I use the 1 pc version for inshore tog and it's fine. I just recieved a $58 Chicom special that had hundreds of likely fake great Amazon reviews. We'll see. Goture Fuji O-Ring Travel Fishing Rod 4 Piece Pole Spinning 30-ton Carbon Matrix with Portable Fishing Case 7'. Actually comes with a tubular case in addition to cloth sleeve, which the Tsunami did not. But this one will fit in a rollie carry-on. I'm bringing 2, one for son, for us to hopefully target some Coho in Puget Sound.

Edited by gellfex

2 hours ago, adam42 said:

St. Croix or Fenwick.  Do a search for travel rods on here.  There is lots of info on prior posts.  Fenwick has a cool setup with one but, two mid sections and two tips that allows you to mix and match for different actions.

19 hours ago, adam42 said:

If it was me I would take a look at the Majorcraft Crostage 964 series of 4 pc, 9'6" travel rods... They are available in local tackle shops for about $160 or direct from Japan for around $100... They have a 964-...  ML, LSJ, M and a H model...  If I didn't already have two travel rods, I would probably buy one or two of these... 

Butch