Roccus7

I've closed the books on Roccus Striper Fishing 2022 - Season Summary

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Crazy fall schedule and tough boat maintenance schedule has me facing the reality that it's over for 2022 so I've closed the books tonight. 2022 was a spectacular year for me. The general trends.

• Took less trips this year to the date, but only 8 less, 72 in 2021 vs 68 this year

• Have not caught as many fish as last year, something I knew since I had very few double digit days this year, but the catch per trip to this date were close 5.68 fish per trip in 2021 with 5.47 this year.

• Fish DEFINITELY bigger this year. Got my Maine PB of 34.5". This year's average size of 23.23" and Median of 23" are both 2" larger than last year's 21" figures. Also very few fish less than 20" caught this year. That is NOT good for the future. Histogram shown down below.

• Never had to worry about getting a fish for the table this year. Prior to 2021 I only averaged 3 or 4, 28"+ fish. In 2021 I though I done died and gone to Valhalla with 21 "Keepahs". Well this year was nuts, in that the boat had 42 slot fish, 37 of which were boated by yours truly. Of those 42 fish, 28 were sent back to make more babies for the future.

Hope all of you continue to enjoy this season and keep us all informed of your continued fishy adventures...

6306c01ace614_2022totalstriperstats.png.e1cc990a50b8ccf9ca087b3e67e6248e.png

Edited by Roccus7

Thanks for sharing and congrats on a successful season! I looked forward to your updates throughout the summer. As a newbie I also appreciate the attention you’ve drawn to the lack of small fish. I have no sense of what “normal” looks like  so it’s been helpful to know that this year has been great in some ways (bigger fish!) but concerning in others (few smaller fish). 

Congrats on a great season.  I appreciate the histogram.  My understanding is that striped bass grow about 2" per year when they are in the 20-30" range, which is consistent with your 21" median last year and these fish likely coming from the above average spawning success in 2017 and 2018.   So maybe a bump in slot fish in 2 to 4 years, but things otherwise look pretty dire.

20 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Crazy fall schedule and tough boat maintenance schedule has me facing the reality that it's over for 2022 so I've closed the books tonight. 2022 was a spectacular year for me. The general trends.

• Took less trips this year to the date, but only 8 less, 72 in 2021 vs 68 this year

• Have not caught as many fish as last year, something I knew since I had very few double digit days this year, but the catch per trip to this date were close 5.68 fish per trip in 2021 with 5.47 this year.

• Fish DEFINITELY bigger this year. Got my Maine PB of 34.5". This year's average size of 23.23" and Median of 23" are both 2" larger than last year's 21" figures. Also very few fish less than 20" caught this year. That is NOT good for the future. Histogram shown down below.

• Never had to worry about getting a fish for the table this year. Prior to 2021 I only averaged 3 or 4, 28"+ fish. In 2021 I though I done died and gone to Valhalla with 21 "Keepahs". Well this year was nuts, in that the boat had 42 slot fish, 37 of which were boated by yours truly. Of those 42 fish, 28 were sent back to make more babies for the future.

Hope all of you continue to enjoy this season and keep us all informed of your continued fishy adventures...

Thanks, enjoy WINTER.   Tight lines  

23 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Nooooooooo!!  You can’t be done!!!  You are my vicarious fix!!

I am amazed  that your Maine PB is just 34.5".  That's a terrific fish, but it seems like with all the fish you catch, you should have been blessed by the striper gods with a 40" or better beast along the way.   I guess that numbers are preferable to size.  I guess it also tells us that you're an honest angler...

1 min ago, Topside2 said:

I am amazed  that your Maine PB is just 34.5".  That's a terrific fish, but it seems like with all the fish you catch, you should have been blessed by the striper gods with a 40" or better beast along the way.   I guess that numbers are preferable to size.  I guess it also tells us that you're an honest angler...

My initial response to that is that I don't fish bait, way too AD/HD for that, but upon further consideration that might not be the true underlying reason.  Historically, in my area, we've always had smaller fish, at least in my "tenure" here.  Another local sharpie who fishes bait quite often, has not caught a 40" fish in 20 years, on a mackerel, which is before I even lived here.  I think he had a single fish this past season that was just over 35", maybe two, both on bait.

I don't think the bigger girls get have been getting much further "Downeast" than Casco Bay over my time here.  Based on length, all my slot fish this season were graduates of the 2011 YOY Class, who have been coming up to my hood since they were 12" long.  It will be interesting to see if their love for this part of Maine continues in the future as they continue to grow.  Stayed tuned...

51 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

My initial response to that is that I don't fish bait, way too AD/HD for that, but upon further consideration that might not be the true underlying reason.  Historically, in my area, we've always had smaller fish, at least in my "tenure" here.  Another local sharpie who fishes bait quite often, has not caught a 40" fish in 20 years, on a mackerel, which is before I even lived here.  I think he had a single fish this past season that was just over 35", maybe two, both on bait.

I don't think the bigger girls get have been getting much further "Downeast" than Casco Bay over my time here.  Based on length, all my slot fish this season were graduates of the 2011 YOY Class, who have been coming up to my hood since they were 12" long.  It will be interesting to see if their love for this part of Maine continues in the future as they continue to grow.  Stayed tuned...

That's interesting. I would be curious to know how far north you have to go in Maine before having a realistic chance at a 40 (say, catching one 40 per season for someone who fishes multiple times a week) stops. Unfortunately, I don't think many keep as meticulous logs as you do! 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, MainelySmallies said:

That's interesting. I would be curious to know how far north you have to go in Maine before having a realistic chance at a 40 (say, catching one 40 per season for someone who fishes multiple times a week) stops. Unfortunately, I don't think many keep as meticulous logs as you do! 

You can take the scientist out of the lab, but you can't take the lab out of the scientist...

Based on what I've been hearing over the years, once you're past the Sheepscot, you're no longer in Consistent Cow Country...

Edited by Roccus7

21 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

You can take the scientist out of the lab, but you can't take the lab out of the scientist...

Based on what I've been hearing over the years, once you're past the Sheepscot, you're no longer in Consistent Cow Country...

Out of curiosity what data points do you collect for your log? 

Posted (edited)

Date, Time, Tidal Conditions, Location, Moon Cycle, Water Temp, Sea Conditions, Atmospheric Conditions, Lure/Technique used, and I measure each fish caught, not bothering with weight.  Want to get them back in the water quickly.

Edited by Roccus7

1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

Date, Time, Tidal Conditions, Location, Moon Cycle, Water Temp, Sea Conditions, Atmospheric Conditions, Lure/Technique used, and I measure each fish caught, not bothering with weight.  Want to get them back in the water quickly.

Thanks! That’s basically everything I have going. Just wanted to make sure I’m not missing anything :) 

A buddy of mine fishes bait 98% of the time and he hasn't gotten one over 33" this season so far.  I fish lures 98% of the time and my biggest this year is 30" so far.  Hopefully that changes tomorrow night.