Catskill John

The subject of fishing for Red Drum

Rate this topic

126 posts in this topic

Well, things are slow on this site and a favorite time of year is near…… let’s talk Red Drum!

Try to catch them. Want to catch them. Can’t. This is a pretty accurate description of what has been happening to me for the last 2 years. But now this year I have better gear and a lot more knowledge about what I may have been doing wrong, like having too long of a rig. I’ve been tying some 2-4” rigs instead of the normal 8-12” ones and they do cast better. Got into using conventionals for heaving instead of spinners and I can cast much farther. And now I have an OSV permit so I’m not stuck to walking distance spots and I don’t have to lug around three rods, chairs, a grill, spikes, etc. for  a quarter mile which really doesn’t help your back lol. This is gonna be the year for me I think... got all my gear ready, rigs tied and this time I’m gonna make sure I don’t miss it like I have the past two years by coming too late. So tight lines to everybody out there this season. Hope it’s a good one.

Counting down the days to our trip down this fall. Might try to make a long weekend as well.

Let's hope the weather cooperates and the tropics don't mess things up this year.

I predict that I'll lose another one in the wash due to lazyness..

5 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Try to catch them. Want to catch them. Can’t. This is a pretty accurate description of what has been happening to me for the last 2 years. But now this year I have better gear and a lot more knowledge about what I may have been doing wrong, like having too long of a rig. I’ve been tying some 2-4” rigs instead of the normal 8-12” ones and they do cast better. Got into using conventionals for heaving instead of spinners and I can cast much farther. And now I have an OSV permit so I’m not stuck to walking distance spots and I don’t have to lug around three rods, chairs, a grill, spikes, etc. for  a quarter mile which really doesn’t help your back lol. This is gonna be the year for me I think... got all my gear ready, rigs tied and this time I’m gonna make sure I don’t miss it like I have the past two years by coming too late. So tight lines to everybody out there this season. Hope it’s a good one.

How far are you casting? to get an accurate distance go to a empty ball field and cast with just your sinker (I spray paint mine florescent orange) and measure then knock off 20 to 30 feet. Remember the drum bite at night is closer than you think.

Also what rig and hook size are you using?

7 hours ago, SteveZ said:

Let's not...

Post 2222 ..... You should buy a lottery ticket....or some hooks.  Crap in one hand wish in the other. 

12 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Post 2222

Only took 20+ years.  Some guys do that in a couple weeks.

3 hours ago, MDsurffishing said:

How far are you casting? to get an accurate distance go to a empty ball field and cast with just your sinker (I spray paint mine florescent orange) and measure then knock off 20 to 30 feet. Remember the drum bite at night is closer than you think.

Also what rig and hook size are you using?

In perfect, no wind conditions I can cast around 100-120 yards with just a sinker. With bait I can get 90-100 give or take. Of course this varies with weather conditions.

I use a fishfinder rig with an 8/0-10/0 circle hook tied with 100 or 150 pound mono. Normally use 100 though, only 150 if the sharks are crazy. I used to use 8-14 inch rigs and I would helicopter like crazy. I didn’t want to use too short of a leader because I thought it would scare fish, but after catching a good amount of cartilage (skates specifically!) and my first beach black drum on a 4” rig I now use rigs from 2-6 inches long, and I can cast a lot farther and no more helicoptering. 

For weight I use 4-8 ounces depending on the rod and conditions. Normally use 6-8 on my heaver. As for sinker type they are typically pyramids and storm sinkers but sometimes I use sputnik’s if it’s rough out there. Wish I could find storm sinkers in 8 ounces but the heaviest I can find in the shops are 6. I’d pour them myself if I could but I can’t. 

On AI you are casting too far at night, they are running up the beach from 10pm to 1am to the back bays. 100yds and your probably on the sandbar in 2 feet of water. 

I use either a cannonball rig with the Sinker stopped with a bead by the hook or a 2" stopper crimp by the hook.

6 mins ago, MDsurffishing said:

On AI you are casting too far at night, they are running up the beach from 10pm to 1am to the back bays. 100yds and your probably on the sandbar in 2 feet of water. 

I use either a cannonball rig with the Sinker stopped with a bead by the hook or a 2" stopper crimp by the hook.

So should I try to aim more around 50-60 yards then? Or I figure just cast in between the bars. I have this idea in my head that the farther you cast the better, but after doing some sharking I've found that's not always true... Also, is this the cannonball rig?6306dee350d18_cannonballrig.PNG.f613cc0ffb142b7d780e213a524d54fa.PNG

I like the idea but I don't like the thought of my mainline breaking and the fish having to drag an 8 ounce sinker around with it. 

If you have more than 1 rod, set them at different distances but I bet the closer ones get picked up more. That is your typical cannonball rig that most if not all NC Hatteras fisherman use (or some variant) if you search on here for "drum rigs" you will see all that will produce big drum. I don't use a McMahon snap/swivel for just that reason and use one of these so if it breaks off, the sinker will slide off the leader and the fish will only have the hook and whatever length of line that broke.

Its not how far your casting, it is where, your looking for structure on the beach.  you can have the outer sand bar be at 80 yards, with a cut in it, so you would cast towards and around that structure.  Being able to cast 100 yards allows you to reach more structure if needed.

with that said MD, some prefer to sit on top of the bar in skinny water... or a few yards to either side, Iv caught drum off the top of the bar.  :hooked: