Seakarp

Digging my new med. duty meat slicer

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

So many years ago I had mostly plastic $100 meat slicer with a serrated blade that just made a mess of whatever you

tried to cut nice and thin. Just a lost cause. I've always thought about a better metal one that could shave meat as thin as you want to go, like see

through thin. Well I finally got one last month and it works as advertised. Real commercial units start around 750 or so and go way up. The one

I got off amazon is certainly a copy, but does what you want a deli slicer to do. It's a solid metal contraption with a 10inch blade that weighs in a bit over

30 pounds, so it's no light weight Betty Crocker deal and it does take about 10min to take apart and clean once you get the hang of of it. I'm pretty pleased

with it so far.

I'm buying beef roasts at around 4 bucks a pound and pork loin roasts between 2 and 3 bucks a pound when they go on sale and cooking them sous vide. Were talking 24hrs or more on the beef and 4 or more hours on the pork, placing the bag in cold water for say 20 min and on to the slicer they go. You could of course cook them any way you want, as long as you don't dry them out. As for cheese, I'm buying a big block of it at the restaurant depot for about 4 dollars a pound. So with inflation the way it currently is, and unfortunately looks like it will be for the foreseeable future doing nice quality cold colds this way cuts the cost by about 2/3's to 3/4's of the price. At about 340 for a machine like this it takes about 50 pounds of nice meats and cheeses to pay itself off, if you're looking to justify your purchase to the queen of the house or yourself. Anyway I'm enjoying the cold cuts. Below is a nice platter of about a pound and a half of pork, 3 or so of beef and 2 and half of nice swiss cheese. The pic looks darker than it did in person, but I'm not going mess with it.

I'd like to know what you guys are doing with yours that you particularly like or recommend.

20220823_143629.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 3.47.25 PM.png

When my kids were in high school and eating us out of house and home, the slicer saved us a ridiculous amount of money.

I really don't use it anymore but with the current price of everything perhaps I should

Posted (edited)

o/u bet on how long until you no longer have 10 intact finger tips :)

Worked in kitchens growing up, this was a piece of machinery the chefs treated with far more caution and respect than everything else put together. Be careful while slicing

Edited by adam42

4 hours ago, riggler said:

how much of a chore is it to clean after your done using it ?

About 10 min the second time you do it. I try to do a sizable amount each time I use it, and freeze some or give some away, hence the beef, pork and cheese platter in the post. So yea it's a bit of a chore, but the savings and the enjoyment

lie in large piles of delicious, nicely shaved meats and cheeses.

We bought a $125 Cuisinart maybe 8 years ago when I was butchering a pig yearly. Got it just for slicing the bacon, it does a pretty good job for a lower $ end slicer.  Does a nice job on the large rolls of pork roll, slicing into 4 pc. packs for freezing.

8 hours ago, richie c said:

We bought a $125 Cuisinart maybe 8 years ago when I was butchering a pig yearly. Got it just for slicing the bacon, it does a pretty good job for a lower $ end slicer.  Does a nice job on the large rolls of pork roll, slicing into 4 pc. packs for freezing.

I don't doubt it did a good job for you. It all depends on what you want one of these machines to do for you. For thicker slicing

you have more leeway, than for extremely thin slicing. Either way there's a lot of delicious meat to eat.

6 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I was thinking about getting something for making jerky, 

One like this would certainly work well for that, but a cheaper one would work for the thicker type slices that your considering.

If you want both thicker slices and very thin deli style as well, this one would do both well.

37 mins ago, Seakarp said:

One like this would certainly work well for that, but a cheaper one would work for the thicker type slices that your considering.

If you want both thicker slices and very thin deli style as well, this one would do both well.

Yes I didn't want to get something that it too large. 

Any suggestions for something that would cut meat 1/4"?

8 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I was thinking about getting something for making jerky, 

I got a Cuisinart a few years ago for $100 shipped. Easy to clean, serrated blade, and had done right by me

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Yes I didn't want to get something that it too large. 

Any suggestions for something that would cut meat 1/4"?