“.. Rights Come From God.. Not Government..” - Ron DeSantis

Rate this topic

RiverRaider

3 mins ago, Slacker said:

Does that natural right to life extend beyond humans?  If not, why not?

We’ve had this discussion before in similar form and fashion, it’s Interesting  enough I suppose, I’d have to say no because animals aren’t self aware the same way that humans are 

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. – William James

17 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

You don’t need to believe in any god,  let alone a Christian God, to recognize the natural right to life (for example) 

I subtly disagree with you. If natural rights come from men, men can change, rights can change. If natural rights come from God, a despot can attempt to take natural rights away but people will be less likely to submit because they understand their natural rights come from God.

1 min ago, RiverRaider said:

We’ve had this discussion before in similar form and fashion, it’s Interesting  enough I suppose, I’d have to say no because animals aren’t self aware the same way that humans are 

Is a human infant more self aware than a Labrador?  I don't think so.  There probably needs to be more to this thought process than mere self awareness.

1 min ago, Dogfish Between Jetties said:

I subtly disagree with you. If natural rights come from men, men can change, rights can change. If natural rights come from God, a despot can attempt to take natural rights away but people will be less likely to submit because they understand their natural rights come from God.

They are derived from Nature not men  

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. – William James

16 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

Must be some truth to it. It’s been kept alive for thousands of years. 

I’m playing it safe and going with there is one. And he’s Christian. And, he looks like a modern day Liberal man with long hair, a beard and sandals. 

The alternative (you know that really hot place) is not to my liking. 

Shifty, Jesus was a middle eastern Jew.

His skin is brown enough that LaPage and the orange haired one would start screaming that he's "going to rape the white women"

beg forgiveness from what jesus would have looked like.

jesus.jpg.a612e36a05b56f9b7f61697752142bd3.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

Just now, Dogfish Between Jetties said:

In that case, man would look at nature as a higher power. God like.

Just now, Slacker said:

God is an authority that could grant rights to men.  "Nature" is not an authority.

Hey, look at that... agreement!!

8 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Shifty, Jesus was a middle eastern Jew.

His skin is brown enough that LaPage and the orange haired one would start screaming that he's "going to rape the white women"

beg forgiveness from what jesus would have looked like.

jesus.jpg.a612e36a05b56f9b7f61697752142bd3.jpg

Nope,,

Jesus is whiter than those white girls in Maine getting knocked up by the drug dealers from Lawrence named Smoothie, shifty, and D Money. 

Ever seen the paintings of the great Masters?  You probably have the velvet rendition of “the last supper” in your mothers basement right?  He’s white, and right. 

That picture is some NYT nonsense. 

12 mins ago, Slacker said:

Is a human infant more self aware than a Labrador?  I don't think so.  There probably needs to be more to this thought process than mere self awareness.

7 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

Yes 

Well, here is a chance to expand your knowledge.

Dogs have been added to a group of animals that, like humans, “recognize themselves as distinct entities from their environment,” a new study shows.

A report by Live Science noted the study’s findings were published Feb. 18 in the journal Scientific Reports.

The study shows that dogs “know where their paws end and the world begins,” Live Science said.

Called body awareness, the report said “this ability is one of the most basic demonstrations of self-representation (also known as self-awareness).”

In humans, body awareness develops very early in life. “5-month-old babies can distinguish their own moving legs from a video recording of the same action,” Live Science related. “The ability then develops into more complex forms of distinguishing oneself from those around them,” the report explained.