Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Aug 22 - Aug 28

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, JimKu said:

Got out around 6pm yesterday from shore. Got the you should have been here two hours ago. I caught 4 albies and a couple of bones. The fish did show again right in front of me but guess what. I had just started a lure change and missed my opportunity. Someone else cashed in on a big fat Albie. The fish popped up a few times but way out of reach. The place was nearly unfishable with eel grass all over the place. Couple cranks and you had grass on even single hook. The wind was also cranking. There was a ton of bait so that is a good sign. Hopefully it sticks around and no big storms to shut things down. Fingers crossed. 

I did manage a 33" ish bass after dark. Explored a different area and saw some bass swimming under lights. A couple good sized one. Finally got one to commit on a zoom fluke. Had to let it sink for him to bite. Not taking a steady retrieve. 

I’d love to have a day like that, I’ve only caught 2 bones and 2 albies in my life on separate trips. I wonder how good it was if you got a few bones and albies but still got the “you should have been here 2 hours ago”

1 hour ago, bassturds said:

I’d love to have a day like that, I’ve only caught 2 bones and 2 albies in my life on separate trips. I wonder how good it was if you got a few bones and albies but still got the “you should have been here 2 hours ago”

I didn't get any. The guy next to me who was there earlier said it was great. School was in close many times and stuck around for multiple shots at a time. I've never had a day like that. Always seem to miss it. Sounded like they weren't picky. 

I blind casted for 2hours or so and didn't get lucky. Lot's of eel grass. 

17 mins ago, JimKu said:

I didn't get any. The guy next to me who was there earlier said it was great. School was in close many times and stuck around for multiple shots at a time. I've never had a day like that. Always seem to miss it. Sounded like they weren't picky. 

"You shoulda been here yesterday" is a very common refrain heard by tunoid fishermen. Especially the shore based guys in the early going.

1 hour ago, JimKu said:

I gotcha misread thar 

Posted (edited)

Went looking for albies and bonito this morn and got skunked. We managed a couple mackerel and bottom fish while searching. While gazing upon the horizon for life I saw a couple huge splashes. It was pretty flat out so maybe they just seemed exaggerated. We motored closer and continue to see huge splashes and large bodies coming out of the water. And spinning. My first thought was spinner dolphin. Kept getting closer and started to see the big bait they were on. Silver sausages jumpin in unison(halfbeaks?). The closer we got it became obvious that they were spinner sharks. A school of them leaping about. Watched for a while then strapped on a Doc. I got two followers on consecutive casts. First spooked by the boat. Second swung at the lure. Hit it briefly but didn’t get hooked. The wakes from these fish swimming at me got my heart pumping. Tail and dorsal outta the water. And like that they disappeared. Wicked cool morn. Sorry for the cussing. I gotta potty mouth.

IMG_0374.MOV

Edited by BNickW

Fished mid-bay from 25-60ft, nothing much to show for except porgies and this. First time catching one. First one about the same size lost next to the boat, then this shortly after.

mmexport1661462129893.jpg

4 mins ago, albacized said:

Congrats on the weakfish - that's not a bad sized one 

Ya, I've been seeing everyone catching one and it's my first. Unfortunately after this bite from early morning, bite died down after the tide turned.

14 hours ago, BNickW said:

Not sure if the video works. Took some screen shots.

062BA7E5-7A73-48A3-BDF0-ED5C77211C34.png

E239B17C-4AE3-4DD6-A368-E134C4EBD832.png

5B5A5933-7345-4FD4-833D-F142B14F3E8D.png

That is awesome, i have seen them putting on a show in Fla. Would have been amazing to see that here

Posted (edited)

Got out to what i thought would be a great tide, but nobody told the fish as they forgot to show in any numbers.  Seems the fish that had been hanging in the area left.  Lots of people out fishing ( SO MANY BRIGHT WHITE LIGHTS on a dark night) , way more then i have seen since the spring.  Wish everyone would go chase albies and leave the night bass spots empty.

Edited by Kooky

25 mins ago, Kooky said:

Got out to what i thought would be a great tide, but nobody told the fish as they forgot to show in any numbers.  Seems the fish that had been hanging in the area left.  Lots of people out fishing ( SO MANY BRIGHT WHITE LIGHTS on a dark night) , way more then i have seen since the spring.  Wish everyone would go chase albies and leave the night bass spots empty.

We were out late Wed night and found a crapton of bass gorging on peanuts and totally immune to all lures and flies. Rolling right at our feet, even ignoring the headlamps shining on them. It was frustrating. 

Meanwhile the %$#@ eel grass pretty much shut me down. I don't have the patience anymore. 

Posted (edited)

19 mins ago, mikez2 said:

We were out late Wed night and found a crapton of bass gorging on peanuts and totally immune to all lures and flies. Rolling right at our feet, even ignoring the headlamps shining on them. It was frustrating. 

Meanwhile the %$#@ eel grass pretty much shut me down. I don't have the patience anymore. 

Weeds ruined my night last week and knew there were fish around just couldnt get a clean presentation to them.  Last night there was just no fish around in a prime tide and spot.  I have no patience for the crowds anymore, and the crowds and people get worse and my patience gets shorter.... its great combo..:laugh::laugh::laugh:  Its a huge factor in why i basically do not day fish anymore unless its very late in the fall and during a weekday..

Edited by Kooky

Posted (edited)

In the yak for hours and hours over the past weekend in the middle of a biomass of epic and indesrcribable proportions and saw only 1 or 2 hookups from fly guys. Managed 1, but not a clean catch as I foul hooked it on the top lip. Nice 34" fish. Even going down to a .5oz cripple herring didn't work, which as metal goes, is a pretty damn near perfect imitation of the peanuts being gobbled up. My partner managed one chub mack. I left my casting egg and peanut flies back in the car, thinking they wouldn't be needed. Seems like chunk bait, squid or pencil eels would have been the best option. Frustrating doesn't begin to describe the helpless feeling of being in the middle of the boil and coming up empty handed after probably hundreds of casts.

Edited by SwimBait

Another horrible week on Block for me. Finally saw some bait to give some hope but devoid of any fish. Even the seals are starting to get skinny,lol. Saw a Humpback coming back on the plane. My only excitement. Keep checking for hard tails daily but see only tourist.