Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Aug 22 - Aug 28

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information in one thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fifth year for this type of approach. Post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or bad.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have at our disposal to predict where the better fishing will be tomorrow.  

Lots of various small baits staging around the Narragansett area attracting schoolies, bluefish, and mac.

It's good fishing, lots of visuals, touch catching.

Caught several bullet tuna (the ones people I believe are mistakenly calling 'frigate mackerel') plus jigged up bunch of short sea bass (on the same 1/2 oz crippled herring I was using for the bullets and failed hardtail attempt). From a pile of rocks north of SoCo. The sea bass were not only all short, only one even cracked the 12" mark...but I wasn't giving them a serious effort (more so bouncing metal as I got board)...Albie/bonito sightings were very sparse (and out of range), but it was the first time in three trips that I can confidently confirm I did see them (two times were definite albies, two other skirmishes could have been anything, but were more significant fish than the bullet tuna and chub mackerel

8 mins ago, albacized said:

Caught several bullet tuna (the ones people I believe are mistakenly calling 'frigate mackerel') plus jigged up bunch of short sea bass (on the same 1/2 oz crippled herring I was using for the bullets and failed hardtail attempt). From a pile of rocks north of SoCo. The sea bass were not only all short, only one even cracked the 12" mark...but I wasn't giving them a serious effort (more so bouncing metal as I got board)...Albie/bonito sightings were very sparse (and out of range), but it was the first time in three trips that I can confidently confirm I did see them (two times were definite albies, two other skirmishes could have been anything, but were more significant fish than the bullet tuna and chub mackerel

How do those bullets fight?

I brought light tackle out the other day and the chub mackerel gave surprisingly good fight. I was basically using a trout rod and they fought about as good as a trout of comparable size.

They do fight better than what I hear a few people giving them credit for. Fast, back to back moved...obviously no long  runs due to their small size, but you do hear a brief spurt of drag here and there. The ones I caught were on spinning gear, but hooked one on the fly that eventually spit the hook. I wasn’t into my backing or even close. But that fish put me onto the reel in short order.

ive never caught a 10-12 inch albie before, but the fish fought how I’d image a true tiny albie would fight. I would still the edge to go the chub mackerel (which were the prevalent mackere last week at the same spot), but I think they’re a little bigger as well. 

Got out for a quick sunset trip.  The fish trap off a public fishing spot is back in place....  :banghd:.....  Small blitz of bass moving all around, would not stay in range long and saw very few caught.  Moved to a backwater spot after dark, and found some huge shad who kept hitting swim shad and teasers.  Able to pull a few bass up to slot out from under the shad when i could get it past them.  Saw small pods of either mullet or needle fish cruising in the back water areas.

Went out around 10:30pm-1AM w/ a good friend. Hit an outflow and caught a handful of under-slots until each cast resulted in swimmers being clogged w/ eel grass.  Anytime the plugs were clean there was a hit or fish hook-up.  After dealing w/ nothing but smaller fish and weeds we called it a night.

Plans are being discussed on a further south-west bound trip to an outflow to target the bigger girlies in the evenings to come.

2 mins ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Went out around 10:30pm-1AM w/ a good friend. Hit an outflow and caught a handful of under-slots until each cast resulted in swimmers being clogged w/ eel grass.  Anytime the plugs were clean there was a hit or fish hook-up.  After dealing w/ nothing but smaller fish and weeds we called it a night.

Plans are being discussed on a further south-west bound trip to an outflow to target the bigger girlies in the evenings to come.

Yeah, that damn eel grass was a problem Thurs night as well.

Swimmers were out of the question. Fast retrieved single hook lures worked for the blues. They were hitting even with grass on the lure.

It was difficult to target the bass even though they were there.

Five hour trip in Narragansett produced only one slot striper, no other fish to the boat.

Did hook a beauty, but never saw it. Started to make a real strong run on a fly and I hear this very large noise.

At first I thought my client shattered his graphite fly line with a sharp snapping noise, but the fly line parted after the head belly section.

One other fish hooked, one mac. Tide was super today, high at 6:00, nice wind, most water clean, but no life. Pretty bad out there when you don't even run into an chub mackerel any more.

3 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Yeah, that damn eel grass was a problem Thurs night as well.

Swimmers were out of the question. Fast retrieved single hook lures worked for the blues. They were hitting even with grass on the lure.

It was difficult to target the bass even though they were there.

Yeah had a couple Blues that really didn't mind the presentation being fouled up thats for sure!

Just now, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Yeah had a couple Blues that really didn't mind the presentation being fouled up thats for sure!

I saw about $500 worth of plugs lost the other night on the jetty. I'm convinced that blues were hitting the pieces of eel grass that trailed from your leader knot while you fought fish. 

The fact that so many guys use cheap braid on the rocks may have played into it as well.

They were getting bit off or broke off right and left.

At around $20 a pop for lures, that's a costly night on the water. 

2 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I saw about $500 worth of plugs lost the other night on the jetty. I'm convinced that blues were hitting the pieces of eel grass that trailed from your leader knot while you fought fish. 

The fact that so many guys use cheap braid on the rocks may have played into it as well.

They were getting bit off or broke off right and left.

At around $20 a pop for lures, that's a costly night on the water. 

Sounds like "thinning of the crowd" HAHA; you know many of them wont return for a week or two. 

Got out around 6pm yesterday from shore. Got the you should have been here two hours ago. I caught 4 albies and a couple of bones. The fish did show again right in front of me but guess what. I had just started a lure change and missed my opportunity. Someone else cashed in on a big fat Albie. The fish popped up a few times but way out of reach. The place was nearly unfishable with eel grass all over the place. Couple cranks and you had grass on even single hook. The wind was also cranking. There was a ton of bait so that is a good sign. Hopefully it sticks around and no big storms to shut things down. Fingers crossed. 

I did manage a 33" ish bass after dark. Explored a different area and saw some bass swimming under lights. A couple good sized one. Finally got one to commit on a zoom fluke. Had to let it sink for him to bite. Not taking a steady retrieve. 

Posted (edited)

While searching for fluke, I landed a nice chunky 30in bass on a .5oz bucktail. Plenty of chub macks around blitzing too. Couldn't keep the bait down long enough because of the all rat sized blacksea bass around shore

Tried for togs but it seems a bit early still.

Edited by VitaminDee