Eating Largemouth Bass

adam42

13 hours ago, adam42 said:

I'm going to try this! Ignore seabass, bad auto translate of the generic word bass (they rarely add "largemouth" so just call them bass and that often gets translated to seabass)

I love watching chef Wang, his skill is insane. Some of the stuff he makes has a ton of various seasonings/ingredients too, I didn't dare to try yet.

I had LMB once caught on the Cape. One local claimed the lake is very clean as it's fed by groundwater streams (?) - I have my doubts, but the water does look clear and there's not a lot of vegetation. Anyway, this bass was pretty good, no weird flavors. If I could be sure thrre's not a ton of runoff and PFAS I'd have it again easily.

7 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

I have a cottage on a remote part of E. Grand lake in Maine.

Predominantly SMB, and they're absolutely delicious with a touch of salt & pepper, fried in butter.  VERY clean water though.

Otherwise, I would NEVER keep a freshwater fish from a body of water within city limits.

I paddled all over there when I was a teen. The base camp for the trips, Maine Wilderness Canoe Basin, was on Pleasant Lake, but it folded long ago. The photo below was taken when I was 15 on a 10 day trip that started on Grand Lake, then down the St Croix to the flowage towards Grand Lake Stream. That mess of bass became a chowder with onions, taters and powdered milk.

630296374b177_SMBinmaine.PNG.85ae02844f95ca225521454451599df5.PNG

11 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Looks really good!! I can watch Asian(entire continent) chefs all day. 

I'm lazy and don't steam but I do alot of poaching with similar ingredients. Just one pot. Everything goes in. Bring to a simmer.  I use the 10mins per inch of thickness guideline. 

Really suites my palate, and I find it doesn't hide or mask any of the fish's true flavors. 

Same here, we love to poach whole fluke. This one's in a Thai sauce of red jalapenos, cilantro, garlic, ginger, lime juice and fish sauce. Just covered the fish with it, wrapped the dish in foil and baked like 30 min. Visiting friends last month who didn't want to heat up their kitchen, we made it with porgy fillets in foil packs on the grill with zucchini stick in the packs.

630297d42fa4d_thaifluke.PNG.288f17a9b41a640f9547bd41dbc20ad6.PNG

Edited by gellfex

36 mins ago, SB59 said:

Besides where caught how you take care of em before cooking is just as important. Don't take a tip from a lot of trout fisherman and dangle em off your belt on a metal stringer until dry & stiff.

Would you suggest dispatch and bleed right away?

2 hours ago, SB59 said:

Besides where caught how you take care of em before cooking is just as important. Don't take a tip from a lot of trout fisherman and dangle em off your belt on a metal stringer until dry & stiff.

Totally agree with this. I don’t keep bass as a rule, but if one is bleeding badly from the gills I’ll keep it. I’ve eaten them from weed-choked ponds and deep, cold, and clean Maine lakes. Yes, bass from colder and cleaner water taste better but I think the “muddiness” of LMB from shallow/warm/weedy water is overstated. It’s not that bad.

Like bluefish, I think LMB gets a bad reputation because people treat the fish they’re going to eat like s*** and then are shocked when it’s “fishy” after rotting in the sun for four hours.

2 hours ago, adam42 said:

Would you suggest dispatch and bleed right away?

Whenever I plan to keep a fish I have a cooler near. I gill em & gut em & right to the ice. Bottom of cooler is plastic ice bottles to keep the fish elevated then loose cubes in a baggie laid on top.

17 hours ago, gellfex said:

I paddled all over there when I was a teen. The base camp for the trips, Maine Wilderness Canoe Basin, was on Pleasant Lake, but it folded long ago. The photo below was taken when I was 15 on a 10 day trip that started on Grand Lake, then down the St Croix to the flowage towards Grand Lake Stream. That mess of bass became a chowder with onions, taters and powdered milk.

No kidding!  Our campsite is not too far from there (Orient), small world...

Beautiful, desolate area.  Haven't been up there in a while though.  Will have to make a trip soon, could go for a good pan seared SMB fillet right about now.