Intrepid95

Level 3 drought - how are your local spots holding up?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I've had the kayak out exactly once this year. Most of my favorite haunts are rivers that you can literally walk across right now. Took it out on a lake the other day and even there the water level was down a good foot and a half, and the outflow at the dam was nil. Netted some catfish trapped in the drying up pools below and sent them back up to the lake proper, just to entertain the kids.

How's everyone else's freshwater season been these last couple months?

River trout fishing will take a hit with this weather pattern. Native trout will need years of good rain to recover.

I found about a dozen trout split between two slightly deeper pools on the Squanacook. One was a brookie which was sitting on the bottom panting. The rest looked liked browns. They looked stuck there.

It looked like they were trying to get upstream but were blocked by an illegal rock dam made by an abutter to give himself a private swimming hole.

7 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I found about a dozen trout split between two slightly deeper pools on the Squanacook. One was a brookie which was sitting on the bottom panting. The rest looked liked browns. They looked stuck there.

It looked like they were trying to get upstream but were blocked by an illegal rock dam made by an abutter to give himself a private swimming hole.

I would have opened up that rock dam, those are illegal to do. 

1 hour ago, gray gables said:

I would have opened up that rock dam, those are illegal to do. 

I did.

Nearly every brook bed around here is baked dry with cracked soil. Usually this only happens in the seasonal brooks, now its pretty much all of them. :b:

25 mins ago, bdowning said:

Nearly every brook bed around here is baked dry with cracked soil. Usually this only happens in the seasonal brooks, now its pretty much all of them. :b:

The small streams in central Ma, from the NH border to southern Worcester County are a series of barely connected pools with almost imperceptible current. I haven't seen any of my native brookie spots but I can only imagine it's a disaster. 

They're dependent on ground water seeps right now. In too many places now the ground water gets siphoned out too quick to seep to the surface anymore.

22 hours ago, slacktide said:

River trout fishing will take a hit with this weather pattern. Native trout will need years of good rain to recover.

The Middle Branch of the Swift which flows through my land is pretty much bone dry.   A few stagnant pools here and there.  

26 mins ago, clambellies said:

The Middle Branch of the Swift which flows through my land is pretty much bone dry.   A few stagnant pools here and there.  

One of my fav rivers, I don't like hearing this. :(

The river fish are toast even if they might have enough water to keep them wet.

The high water temps and low oxygenation will kill them.

That's a real shame to hear! I really worry how this is going to impact a lot of the fish populations in a lot of these spots for future seasons. Been looking around a bit more since I posted this and some of my favorite spots are now almost completely dried up!

People keep saying the 2016 drought was worse, but I don't ever remember seeing any of these rivers as low as they are right now. Some of them are literally not even flowing. And FWIW, I'm not talking about some tiny trout brook... I'm talking major rivers, like certain stretches of the Charles!

16 mins ago, Intrepid95 said:

That's a real shame to hear! I really worry how this is going to impact a lot of the fish populations in a lot of these spots for future seasons. Been looking around a bit more since I posted this and some of my favorite spots are now almost completely dried up!

People keep saying the 2016 drought was worse, but I don't ever remember seeing any of these rivers as low as they are right now. Some of them are literally not even flowing. And FWIW, I'm not talking about some tiny trout brook... I'm talking major rivers, like certain stretches of the Charles!

I agree it's worse than 2016.

2016 had previously been my low water mark for local drought. This year is set to be worse, based on what I see.

Maybe as much as 1/4 inch tomorrow. Will need to be much more soon.

The things your read online. The good thing about Drought is less chance of parasites.  I thought it would have been a higher chance. 

I will say there has been far fewer mosquitos this year compared to others, based on my own observation. So that's good, I guess.