Rizz1877

St Croix Seage vs ODM DNA

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

What's up everyone. I was recently on the fence on which rod to choose. I'll be throwing out plugs ranging from 1oz to 3oz and bucktails ranging from 3/4oz to 1 1/2 oz. I'm going to pair this with a Van staal VSX200. I'm currently comparing the st croix seage and the odm dna, im looking at the 10' 6" model of each,  they both toss out 3/4 to 4oz. I just wanted some thoughts on these rods, pros, cons, is there anyone that has both. Which direction would you guys go in? Thanks for taking to time out to read this and tight lines everyone. 

2 mins ago, xahoidenbbb said:

15 yr warranty. Nuff said

That's a great warranty don't get me wrong but I had 2 Mojo surfs snap. I just don't want to have a unreliable rod snap when I'm out fishing

Posted (edited)

5 mins ago, xahoidenbbb said:

15 yr warranty. Nuff said

In this end, this is what pushed me towards the St. Croix and away from the ODM. Even if you can argue about how good it is, having a bad warranty almost always beats out not having one at all. 

Edited by Camhabib

As someone who recently bought a st croix and had the tip snap after <200 casts I gotta say that $50 a pop shipping fee really undercuts the value of the warranty. That warranty means a lot more for their high end stuff than it does for the mid level stuff like seage because you're basically refunded 3/4 of the cost once you account for the shipping.

If the buying decision on a surf rod is predicated on warranty support, then go with a TFO GIS surf rod and don’t look back.

If the decision is about the rod’s weight or action, then you’ll just have to go to a store and try them out. To see how they feel in your hand. I think the ODM DNA is light and fast / tip oriented compared to other rods. A Beautiful rod I had the 9 foot rod for a season till I upgraded to a Genesis Gen 2.

I was in the same boat this past winter torn between the st croix seage, and odm dna. Keep in mind I already owned many st Croix rods, as well as a few odm. I already have a 10 6” Frontier X, and a 8’ Avid, but I was looking for a lighter weight backbay rod.

I went with the 7 6” backbay dna. Now yes these odm rods lack a warranty such as as croix, and yes they are also made over seas. Hold both the odm and seage in your hands tho. You should be able to tell which is the better rod. 

3 hours ago, KironaFly said:

If the buying decision on a surf rod is predicated on warranty support, then go with a TFO GIS surf rod and don’t look back.

If the decision is about the rod’s weight or action, then you’ll just have to go to a store and try them out. To see how they feel in your hand. I think the ODM DNA is light and fast / tip oriented compared to other rods. A Beautiful rod I had the 9 foot rod for a season till I upgraded to a Genesis Gen 2.

What did you prefer dna or genesis?

22 mins ago, MattieG said:

I was in the same boat this past winter torn between the st croix seage, and odm dna. Keep in mind I already owned many st Croix rods, as well as a few odm. I already have a 10 6” Frontier X, and a 8’ Avid, but I was looking for a lighter weight backbay rod.

I went with the 7 6” backbay dna. Now yes these odm rods lack a warranty such as as croix, and yes they are also made over seas. Hold both the odm and seage in your hands tho. You should be able to tell which is the better rod. 

I'm torn right now between replacing my avid 7'

I want to get the 4 piece travel surf rod but want this to be my generalist go to rod which means I'll also be using it casting from a skiff or a jetty. Are surf rods too unwieldy for that kind of stuff? You think I'm better off getting a 7-8' avid inshore or a 9'-10' travel surf rod?

I bought a ODM DNA 9' rod last year for casting live eels. Love the rod. I like the ODM rods better than my St Croix. But The St croix are great rods.

2 hours ago, Rizz1877 said:

What did you prefer dna or genesis?

Tough call. I went with a newer 10ft ODM Genesis Gen 2 over a 9ft DNA, because I wanted the extra foot (going from 9ft to 10ft) while keeping the same lure range (1 to 3.5 ounces). Also I slightly prefer a 50 / 50 break down strictly for logistics / traveling purposes. For light stuff I kept an ODM DNA Backbay (7.5ft one piece) ... for boat, schooligans, and Albies. 

15 hours ago, Rizz1877 said:

What's up everyone. I was recently on the fence on which rod to choose. I'll be throwing out plugs ranging from 1oz to 3oz and bucktails ranging from 3/4oz to 1 1/2 oz. I'm going to pair this with a Van staal VSX200. I'm currently comparing the st croix seage and the odm dna, im looking at the 10' 6" model of each,  they both toss out 3/4 to 4oz. I just wanted some thoughts on these rods, pros, cons, is there anyone that has both. Which direction would you guys go in? Thanks for taking to time out to read this and tight lines everyone. 

For what you want to do .... It's more expensive but I do like my 10ft ODM Genesis gen. #2 for exactly the fishing parameters you've laid out. The sweet spot is around 2 ounces give or take .5 ozs.

6301170c7f13b_ODMGen2VR.JPG.63a9a8417634684596eb6f03b1125144.JPG

This a good question , I’m also wondering there’ both good rods , the 10ft is light on both , I’m looking for a 11ft m just not sure which one 

7 hours ago, KironaFly said:

For what you want to do .... It's more expensive but I do like my 10ft ODM Genesis gen. #2 for exactly the fishing parameters you've laid out. The sweet spot is around 2 ounces give or take .5 ozs.

6301170c7f13b_ODMGen2VR.JPG.63a9a8417634684596eb6f03b1125144.JPG

I have a 9' Genesis. I didn't like it at first but it is slowly growing on me. Took some time to adjust, coming from a 10' GSB

4 hours ago, Wave afterwave said:

This a good question , I’m also wondering there’ both good rods , the 10ft is light on both , I’m looking for a 11ft m just not sure which one 

The 11' seage only come on a 3-8 oz.