dannyplug1

SPINNING ROD FOR SWIM BAITS FROM KAYAK

7 posts in this topic

Not sure if this should be in the fresh water or kayak section.  I have been using swim baits from my kayak.  I find that a bait caster either backlashes or breaks off the expensive plug when I use it.  Additionally I do some night fishing during the summer and find a spinning reel to be less trouble.  The baits I fish are 1/2 to 2 1/4.  Any suggestions?  Thanks Charlie 

Posted (edited)

When you are in a kayak you have special needs, rod positions are more extreme to get the fish to the kayak, highsticking is a given, swimbaits are the same. Lamiglas TFXV7030S.

Edited by spoonplugger1

I use a pair of Fenwick HMG rods in my kayak, a 6’-9” and a 7’.  One has a Stradic 2500 the other a Spheros 3000 - both rigs have performed fine. OH

Posted (edited)

On 8/19/2022 at 8:51 PM, dannyplug1 said:

Not sure if this should be in the fresh water or kayak section.  I have been using swim baits from my kayak.  I find that a bait caster either backlashes or breaks off the expensive plug when I use it.  Additionally I do some night fishing during the summer and find a spinning reel to be less trouble.  The baits I fish are 1/2 to 2 1/4.  Any suggestions?  Thanks Charlie 

What line set up are you using - straight flourocarbon, braid to leader, Mono ?

also, what size line are you using. 

When I first started throwing swimbaits I was using braid to flouro leader and a little backlash anf there goes an expensive bait.  

I have now switched to Izorline copoly ‘ XXX Super Co-Polymer “ casts smooth, easy on the rod guides, if you do backlash there’s enough stretch in the line to prevent a snap off, it’s about $15 for 600 yards so you van replace the line often as you’d like and you don’t have to use a connection knot from braid to leader. 

For the baits you're using 1/2 to 2.25 oz. 15# line is what I’d recommend.

Since switching to copoly I haven’t snapped off a single bait - knock on wood. 

337497F8-F3D4-455A-B4DC-FAF5E297598E.jpeg

Edited by NewAtIt

Posted (edited)

Yes. I only fish from kayak with a minimum of 5 rods for bass. I have about 12 rods total that are set up. 2-mono. 3-strait braid 4-fluorocarbon and the rest braid with fluorocarbon leaders. Strait braid for my frog rods. Frog boiled a bit to soften the plastic some of the frog hooks are flared out a bit. As far as my bass rigs go, they all but the frog rig have braid with fluorocarbon leaders. 

i found out after switch line recipes for my bass swim bait set ups that the braided and the floral tend to bring more bass into the boat. 

Edited by Rabbit57