adam42

Which St. Croix rod should I choose?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Tip of my st croix avid x spinning rod broke and they don't make them anymore so need to choose a replacement. For $50 shipping & whatever difference it costs for a different model, I can get a replacement (I have $230 credit)

Very undecided over what to get. I'm torn between getting a 4 piece surf rod or a more generalist boat rod

Highly prefer something that breaks down, that 7' rod was a real pain to commute with as it was a single piece so I'm looking at the triumph surf spinning rods as they break down into 4 pieces. Really want to have a saltwater rod I can fish off the shore with that I can fly with and go in a car without taking up half the seating.

I already have a 12' shakespeare firebird beachcaster rod & reel combo that I bought for like $20 back in the 90s on a whim (and see they still go for about that much). I use it occasionally when I have multiple lines out, but normally leave it at home because it's so unwieldy and casts about as far a regular boat rod. My technique probably blows (been watching surf casting videos and going to work on technique to take advantage of that extra leverage) but it's generally a pretty terrible experience to use that thing.

I'm thinking that if I had a higher quality surf casting rod it'd be a much better experience. But, I'm also worried that getting this rod will be a bit too unwieldy fishing from a more confined space like a boat or jetty.

Thoughts and recommendations?

A few months back I had a Triumph surf break during a cast one of the first times I used it. St. Croix was great and replaced it and waved the shipping fee. First time I took the replacement rod out the same exact thing happened again, broke during a cast. Once again they’re sending me a new one out, no fee. Great warranty but I would not buy a Triumph again. 

I’ve only had limited use of the triumph surf rods and never the travel series. St Croix has the best warranty replacement out there if something does happen. I wouldn’t worry about buying one. I don’t know the whole story of the above post. best I can say is  make sure all pieces are properly slipped together often make sure your not high sticking and make sure your lure isn’t getting dropped in the water before you cast this will overload the rod. 

Also if I was to buy a travel surf for the boat and surf I’d get the 9’ looks like 18” to the center of reel seat the 10’ is like 23-24 can’t remember. No way I’d want to be casting and using that from a boat. If st Croix don’t make you return the rod that broke and you have both pieces take to a rod builder and they will put it together for around $20 or less in most cases. Easy to do and is plenty fishable still. Don’t knock if until you tried it. I have a tidemaster that was repaired years ago still catching fish. 

Youre gonna be extremely disappointed if you go from an avid to a triumph. Get another avid or legend, and then get another rod to fit your travel needs for when you need to travel

Kudos to St Croix and there warranty and taking care of this for you.

If this rod is no longer in production, how long did you have it?

Just because it broke doesn’t mean you deserve a new one.

This mind set has driven up the price point of all rods and don’t you think that everyone buying St.Croix is paying for that?

Thats why a legend is $600.

LL Bean got wise to people taking advantage and dropped there life time warranty.

Hopefully St.Croix will continue this great service.

12 hours ago, matt boyer said:

I’ve only had limited use of the triumph surf rods and never the travel series. St Croix has the best warranty replacement out there if something does happen. I wouldn’t worry about buying one. I don’t know the whole story of the above post. best I can say is  make sure all pieces are properly slipped together often make sure your not high sticking and make sure your lure isn’t getting dropped in the water before you cast this will overload the rod. 

The “whole story” is just as I described lol, so not sure what you’re implying. I’ve used St. Croix rods for nearly two decades. I’ve beaten the s*** out of them fishing freshwater bass tournaments up and down the east coast. Never had a St. Croix rod break, never made a warranty claim previously, although granted my previous use was confined to their freshwater lines.

Both Triumph surf rods broke in the exact same place in the exact same way. Neither were overloaded. When I called St. Croix each time they implied they were aware that this was an issue and that other people have had the same problem with the Triumph surf models—that’s why they waved the shipping fees on the replacement *twice*.  So no, to the OP, I would not recommend a Triumph travel model, or any Triumph surf model in general. I will continue using St. Croix because I have for decades with no problems, and they did honor the warranty with great customer service, but I would look at other models besides the Triumph.

I picked up a Mojo surf while waiting for my replacement to ship a few weeks back. I know some people don’t like the Mojo (and as far I know they don’t make them anymore) but I’ve had zero issues with it. It handles plugs throughout its weight ratings well and it’s taken fish to 30lbs without an issue. 

33 mins ago, MainelySmallies said:

Both Triumph surf rods broke in the exact same place in the exact same way. Neither were overloaded. When I called St. Croix each time they implied they were aware that this was an issue and that other people have had the same problem with the Triumph surf models—that’s why they waved the shipping fees on the replacement *twice*.  

I had looked at the Triumph rods but a friend that works in the business had relayed the exact same issue.  I've been a fan of St. Croix ever since I bought one of their fly rods for my wife and really liked how it felt.  Also very happy with my St. Croix Seage surf rods, but I don't have a lot of time on them yet.

thanks guys, decided to get an avid inshore as a replacement and will get a travel rod later when needed

52 mins ago, adam42 said:

thanks guys, decided to get an avid inshore as a replacement and will get a travel rod later when needed

Good choice.  What size?

Will finalize decision when I call in on Monday.

Main contender is the VIS70MHF for 10-20# line and .5 to 1.25oz lures - that's the most practical one for the boat

Tempted to size up and get the 7.5' or 8' version of it to get a little more cast distance when not on the boat but doubt it because the 7' barely fit in the car as it stood so any extra distance in casting when fishing a jetty will probably be negated by being a pain to take to the jetty and being a bit more constricted while on the boat. Especially since I'll likely be tossing heavier lures when fishing from the shore and will want something graded for stuff a bit heavier then.

Will also request they waive the $50 shipping fee as this avid x lasted me about 2 weeks. Can't complain though as it was on clearance at LL Bean and St Croix is offering MSRP so I still "win" in the exchange but frankly I really loved that Avid X, it was my first premium rod and you could really feel the difference while fishing with it.

Will see how it goes.

Nice, Bean's is still doing clearance on St. Croix?  That's how I got my 70MHF Avid.  Ended up getting it half price.

Posted (edited)

8 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

Nice, Bean's is still doing clearance on St. Croix?  That's how I got my 70MHF Avid.  Ended up getting it half price.

Yup, was a st croix noob. Cousin always raves about the avid inshore. So I'm just browsing about, see a clearance rack and boom there's an Avid X and half off and figured let's try it out. Loved the rod but darn thing broke after like 2 weeks.

When it broke I had to decide whether to return to Beans or St Croix and St Croix gives MSRP trade in so that kind of settled the decision for me.

Edited by adam42

8 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

They have some models left I think. I got a Mojo for 50 percent off a few weeks ago. Not sure what other models they have on clearance. I think I got the last Mojo.