Is this VR gen 1 or 2?

Rate this topic

jjdbike

7 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks everyone.

If I have the serial number, will that tell me?

JD

The difference between a Gen 1 & Gen 2 VR 50 is found / observed when measuring the reel’s stem (from the reel seat foot to the circular gear box). The VR 50 / 75 Gen 2 reel has a longer stem. Lessening the possibility of knuckle rap when gripping the reel seat foot & rod. That difference in distance / length of the reel’s arm / appendage is how you know.

All other indicators are cosmetic and / or interchangeable indicators. Example: A VR 75 spool will fit and work on Gen. 1 VR 50 reels even though they were introduced on the Gen. 2 VR platform. They are not physically bigger spools circumference wise … just deeper.

The considerations noted above do not readily apply to the Van Staal VR 125 / 150 Gen. 2 vs. Gen. 1 reels,  where the reel’s weight increased and other structural & cosmetic changes where made. The Gen. 2 VR 150 reels are heavier / beefier.

Hope this helps.

Edited by KironaFly
spelling & grammer

RockfishOn!! :cool:

2 hours ago, KironaFly said:

The difference between a Gen 1 & Gen 2 VR 50 is found / observed when measuring the reel’s stem (from the reel seat foot to the circular gear box). The VR 50 / 75 Gen 2 reel has a longer stem. Lessening the possibility of knuckle rap when gripping the reel seat foot & rod. That difference in distance / length of the reel’s arm / appendage is how you know.

All other indicators are cosmetic and / or interchangeable indicators. Example: A VR 75 spool with fit and work on Gen. 1 VR 50 reels even though they were introduced on the Gen. 2 VR platform. They are not physically bigger spools circumference wise … just deeper.

The considerations noted above do not readily apply to the Van Staal VR 125 / 150 Gen. 2 vs. Gen. 1 reels,  where the reel’s weight increased and other structural & cosmetic changes where made. The Gen. 2 VR 150 reels are heavier / beefier.

Hope this helps.

Thanks KironaFly,

Now you're making me wonder if it's worth holding out and paying the extra $$ for a second generation VR. I was under the impression that there were several significant functional differences, e.g.:

• Better gears,
  • Stronger - thicker shaft - made of better material,
  • Different drag design - more water proof under pressure,
  • Better drag knob w/ micro adjust.

Is this correct? 

JD

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks KironaFly,

Now you're making me wonder if it's worth holding out and paying the extra $$ for a second generation VR. I was under the impression that there were several significant functional differences, e.g.:

• Better gears,
  • Stronger - thicker shaft - made of better material,
  • Different drag design - more water proof under pressure,
  • Better drag knob w/ micro adjust.

Is this correct? 

JD

I believe you are correct on all the points above when going from a Van Staal VR 150 1st generation to the recently introduced (within the past year) VR 150 generation #2. It is beefier internally (shaft) and heavier. Might sport a slightly different drag scheme ... definitely has a different drag knob. 

I actually like and will keep the 1st Generation VS VR 125 / 150 ... because it's plenty good to me and is lighter by an ounce or two. I have it on a 10ft ODM Genesis Gen #2 surf rod. 

The first generation VR 150 got some negative reviews when users went to up-size the reel with the rotor housing piece enlarged ... going from VR 125 / 150 ... to the larger diameter VR 175 / 200 spool rotor. That's where the knuckle nicking issue came to be ... not a long enough stem for some folks with big hands.

With the VR 50s I'm only aware of the the stem lengthening, along with the introduction of the VR75 spool as to the 2nd generation production units. I've had both units in hand. I went from a silver Gen #1 VR50 to a black Gen #2 VR50 / 75. Sizing & weight remained the same (though the reel foot stem lengthened). I'm unaware of other changes. I was very happy that the VR75 spool just popped right on ... so I think the drag has stayed the same.

Hope this helps.

TM

RockfishOn!! :cool:

15 hours ago, KironaFly said:

I would agree and get the VR75 spool version.

13 hours ago, recoil said:

I went with the VR75 and purchased a VR50 spool for it.

I spool up the 75 with 20# and the 50 spool with 10.

Thanks,

This will have light line on it and do not need the added line capacity. Would prefer to keep it lighter.

This will be my UL surf set up for SoCal, tossing Lucky Craft's, rubber swim baits & Flukes to CA Hali.

JD 

JJD, for your intended use either generation of the 50 will serve you well.

If getting a deal on a used one is paramount then just buy it. You could upgrade parts later or sell it.

I had the same trepidation when I ordered my black 50. Waited  7 months to get it (pandemic). Lucked out and got a first run of the gen 2.

On 8/19/2022 at 3:52 PM, Joe Paranee said:

What is the serial number 

Hello Joe & friends. 
I have the serial number. I called Van Staal - Pure Fishing and waited on hold for an hour, message said I hand another two hours to hold. I clicked option for them to call me back, I’m not holding my breath.

Can anyone here determine if a vr50 is 1st or 2nd generation by serial number?

JD

I don't want to tell you how to spend your money, But.

I would buy a VR75. ( I did)  You will know you are getting all of the improvements over the 50.  You will get an extra 2 inches retrieve per turn, (39" instead of 37') and more line capacity all in basically the same size package.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by recoil

On 8/20/2022 at 1:19 PM, KironaFly said:

On 8/20/2022 at 2:53 PM, recoil said:

On 8/21/2022 at 1:32 PM, yogiiiboy said:

This ^^^^ right here :th:

11 hours ago, recoil said:

I don't want to tell you how to spend your money, But.

I would buy a VR75. ( I did)  You will know you are getting all of the improvements over the 50.  You will get an extra 2 inches retrieve per turn, (39" instead of 37') and more line capacity all in basically the same size package.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks everyone,

Are the only "...improvements over the 50.You will get an extra 2" retrieve per turn and more line capacity..."?

If that is th case, I do not need the aded line capacity. I have a VS100 spooled w/ 20lb test. 

Thanks,

JD

On 8/20/2022 at 1:19 PM, KironaFly said:

On 8/20/2022 at 2:53 PM, recoil said:

On 8/21/2022 at 1:32 PM, yogiiiboy said:

This ^^^^ right here :th:

Okay, now you've got me thinking.

Three questions about the VR75 please:

1st, other than line capacity and retrieve rate (assumably due to spool)?

2nd, was there a generation 1 VR75, i.e. are all VR75s 2nd generation?

3rd, how much more does the VR75 weigh over the VR50 (I can not see to find this)?

Based upon the answers to these questions, you might have sold me on the VR75.

Thanks in advance!

JD