DEM Parking Lot

Surf fishing on the "All-Inclusive" resorts...

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Since a few threads have been created in regards to fishing on resorts, I figure why not start a general thread relating to the topic.

I, myself, will be traveling somewhere for my upcoming honeymoon.  Where will I be traveling to?  I'm not sure yet. 

But one thing is for certain is that surf fishing is a top priority of mine.  Especially if i'm paying for the "all-inclusive" premium.

Reading other threads relating to this topic, It seems that the general consensus about fishing on resorts may be somewhat frowned upon or possibly even illegal. I would expect the readers of this thread to do their research on local laws & regulations and form their own "due diligence" when it comes to fishing in new territory. 

Anyway, I'd like to hear other users experience that had the opportunity to surf fish on resorts...  Where did you go? The good, the bad, the ugly... Species, airline policy, gear etc!

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

I can’t help you on destinations but I’m gonna give you some free advice. 

The all inclusive premium that your are really paying for is getting married not the honeymoon and your priority is the wife now not surfcasting. That’s a hobby. Could be a compulsive hobby or even and obsession but it is still a hobby in the end. I was a certified lunatic some years back myself. 
You may not like it but that is the truth. Now,

unless the wife is a complete nut when it

comes to surfcasting like yourself, then this may not apply however the wifely tolerances for our hobbies like hunting and fishing may be high at the start but they do wane over the years. You may not see it but it is a steady decline.  Tread lightly Friend and congrats on getting married. 

Posted (edited)

You 100% need to call ahead and confirm. Do not ask the front desk, specifically get connected to the water activities director.

In general, these places forbid it, but so few of their clientele are the kinds who'd do it that and the staff is used to saying yes so it's not uncommon for the front desk to just assume it's ok and then when you get there the person who is in charge of loaning out the kayaks will see you and run out with their whistle and point out that there's no fishing allowed on site and the next several adjacent beaches are also similarily run resorts that forbid fishing.

They'll usually offer to set you up with a charter service, sometimes it's one they run themselves. This is never something I've taken them up on. Not a big fan, much more prefer backpacking and staying at campsites or renting cheap beachside bungalows without electricity but occasionally been to these places for weddings and corporate retreats and learned the hard way to talk to the person who'd be the one interacting with you at the beach and telling you it's not allowed beforehand, otherwise, you schlepped all your gear over for nothing.

Edited by adam42

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, redfin said:

I can’t help you on destinations but I’m gonna give you some free advice. 

The all inclusive premium that your are really paying for is getting married not the honeymoon and your priority is the wife now not surfcasting. That’s a hobby. Could be a compulsive hobby or even and obsession but it is still a hobby in the end. I was a certified lunatic some years back myself. 
You may not like it but that is the truth. Now,

unless the wife is a complete nut when it

comes to surfcasting like yourself, then this may not apply however the wifely tolerances for our hobbies like hunting and fishing may be high at the start but they do wane over the years. You may not see it but it is a steady decline.  Tread lightly Friend and congrats on getting married. 

Hi Redfin,

Those are the words of wisdom I would never take for granted.

My wife knew what she was getting into when she married this monster lol.

All jokes aside, my wife and I have been together for about 13 years before we got married.  She knows and understands how much of a passion fishing is to me.  So she doesn't mind me plugging away while she worships the sun (tanning).  I personally hate the sun...

Besides, she will be getting more than enough attention from me on our honeymoon.  To the point where she will be sick of me :naughty:

Posted (edited)

I went to Hawaii and stayed I think the Hyatt before boarding the cruise … the football all start game was being played and you could see the stadium from the hotel .. bu bu buttt I took a travel rod never said a word to any one and went out after dark and was throwing surface poppers got skunked but there was plenty of people sleeping on the beech … I didn’t feel safe and went back to the room … 

Edited by Surf bomber

21 mins ago, adam42 said:

You 100% need to call ahead and confirm. Do not ask the front desk, specifically get connected to the water activities director.

In general, these places forbid it, but so few of their clientele are the kinds who'd do it that and the staff is used to saying yes so it's not uncommon for the front desk to just assume it's ok and then when you get there the person who is in charge of loaning out the kayaks will see you and run out with their whistle and point out that there's no fishing allowed on site and the next several adjacent beaches are also similarily run resorts that forbid fishing.

They'll usually offer to set you up with a charter service, sometimes it's one they run themselves. This is never something I've taken them up on. Not a big fan, much more prefer backpacking and staying at campsites or renting cheap beachside bungalows without electricity but occasionally been to these places for weddings and corporate retreats and learned the hard way to talk to the person who'd be the one interacting with you at the beach and telling you it's not allowed beforehand, otherwise, you schlepped all your gear over for nothing.

I've been on the fence whether I should call the resort and ask.  I almost feel that I would know what the answer would be...

Luckily, i'm only packing light gear (9' travel rod, 5000 sized reel and only a few metals, spooks etc.  All fit in my checked luggage.

My initial plan was to bring my setup and take a few casts here and there (away from people/attention of course). And perhaps a few bucks for that one employee that says "no".  Ill just keep fishing until someome tells me not to?:shrug:

8 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

I went to Hawaii and stayed I think the Hyatt before boarding the cruise … the football all start game was being played and you could see the stadium from the hotel .. bu bu buttt I took a travel rod never said a word to any one and went out after dark and was throwing surface poppers got skunked but there was plenty of people sleeping on the beech … I didn’t feel safe and went back to the room … 

That's been a concern of mine as well; the safety of wondering around the outskirts of the resort in another country.  Ill just have to feel it out when I arrive....

I would never ask. I would fish. When we are at those kinda places i talk to the help and find out who fishes then get local knowledge from them. I give them gear as thanks. Also google earth is good in new places. If they want to ask me nicely to stop i would. Only happened once. I was anchored up in front of a dive resort in the bahamas and spear fishing. Kinda a dick move but i was young and not thinking. The boss nicely asked me to stop. I did.

As to fishing with wife, no problem for us. I hit the surf at first light. Wife gets up and prepares herself for the day. This takes awhile. I then return and have breakfast with her...say 9ish. So 4 hrs or so. Good comprimise 

I have experience fishing in front of the resorts in Cancun, the good thing about that area is that the beaches are all public so the resort can't tell you not to fish, but I did hear the beach patrol on atvs can stop you during the day when they patrol, but I never had an issue.  The lifeguards did not care, in fact they were curious and tried to give me advice, one was so excited when he saw me catch a nice snook he ran down and I gave it to him and he was stoked.  There were a few other people fishing that I saw throughout the years as I went there many years in a row.   

Posted (edited)

19 mins ago, mark d said:

I would never ask. I would fish. When we are at those kinda places i talk to the help and find out who fishes then get local knowledge from them. I give them gear as thanks. Also google earth is good in new places. If they want to ask me nicely to stop i would. Only happened once. I was anchored up in front of a dive resort in the bahamas and spear fishing. Kinda a dick move but i was young and not thinking. The boss nicely asked me to stop. I did.

As to fishing with wife, no problem for us. I hit the surf at first light. Wife gets up and prepares herself for the day. This takes awhile. I then return and have breakfast with her...say 9ish. So 4 hrs or so. Good comprimise 

Sounds just like our relationship;  my wife loves to sleep.  Sometimes sleeping until 12pm.  I sneak out early in the morning, get my fishing in and home before the afternoon.  By the time she rolls out of bed, breakfast and coffee are waiting for her on the table.  Happy house.

As for calling and asking resorts, I definitely won't be asking. What they don't know, can't hurt...  Ill just bring my setup down with me and take a cast when I have an opportunity.  Ill have no problem putting the rod away if they ask me to.  Then ill just find another time to sneak in a cast.

I get the better to do it and be told no than to ask ahead and be told no mentality.

But there's zero chance you can do this unnoticed. Those places have people constantly on vigil for customer service and they'll be sure to notice someone fishing. Especially seeing someone walk around with a rod or case, you'll be incredibly conspicuous.

But... thinking on it more, I've never kicked myself for lugging gear to have no result. But I'd be a very rich man if I had a nickel each time I came across an incredible fishing opportunity but the gear was at home. Who knows, even if the resort says no there could be an incredible spot right around the corner.

Posted (edited)

10 mins ago, Two Rock said:

I have experience fishing in front of the resorts in Cancun, the good thing about that area is that the beaches are all public so the resort can't tell you not to fish, but I did hear the beach patrol on atvs can stop you during the day when they patrol, but I never had an issue.  The lifeguards did not care, in fact they were curious and tried to give me advice, one was so excited when he saw me catch a nice snook he ran down and I gave it to him and he was stoked.  There were a few other people fishing that I saw throughout the years as I went there many years in a row.   

Thank you for your feedback, Two Rock. This is what I like to hear.  We're kinda' leaning towards somewhere in Cabo San Lucas, it seems that fishing is a little more...  "Tolerable" in that area.  I had a few buddies that went there and had no issues fishing.  Pulled out some Giant Needlefish.  The wife is worried about safety there...  But no where is safe nowadays. Gata' live somehow I guess...

13 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Thank you for your feedback, Two Rock. This is what I like to hear.  We're kinda' leaning towards somewhere in Cabo San Lucas, it seems that fishing is a little more...  "Tolerable" in that area.  I had a few buddies that went there and had no issues fishing.  Pulled out some Giant Needlefish.  The wife is worried about safety there...  But no where is safe nowadays. Gata' live somehow I guess...

I have a buddy on here who did a puerto rico vacation featuring plenty of surf fishing opportunities.

@cbinvb

He could definitely pass along some details if travelling there is within your scope. 

DEM I did a little research and all beaches in Mexico are public by law so you are in a good position if you decide on going there, I sure wish we had the same thinking here...

4 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Hi Redfin,

Those are the words of wisdom I would never take for granted.

My wife knew what she was getting into when she married this monster lol.

All jokes aside, my wife and I have been together for about 13 years before we got married.  She knows and understands how much of a passion fishing is to me.  So she doesn't mind me plugging away while she worships the sun (tanning).  I personally hate the sun...

Besides, she will be getting more than enough attention from me on our honeymoon.  To the point where she will be sick of me :naughty:

Best of luck. Sounds like you have it covered.  Have a great time Friend!

1 hour ago, Two Rock said:

DEM I did a little research and all beaches in Mexico are public by law so you are in a good position if you decide on going there, I sure wish we had the same thinking here...

i am pretty sure everything below high water mean is public in the usa also...no ?