turkaholic

Sweet water days

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

My saltwater fishing has really suffered this year with a 75% reduction in catching. Really bringing me down. So I’ve been hitting up the bass ponds to keep me sane. Got this recipe from Tarpon guide Steve Huff in the Keys. He calls it Hot Lips. I use them for Stripers a lot but retied some small ones for pond fishing. They are the bomb! Bluegills can’t get over them, bass blow them out of the water. I must look like a 10 year old yucking it up out there as the action is unbelievable. Keeps a smile going for sure.

70673CB8-8013-4605-B012-33A314513F0B.jpeg

thats a super neat pattern, I've been beating on the bass ponds recently also with frog style gurglurs. do you have a recipe for that pattern? I'd love to try it out in a few different sizes

3 hours ago, PAtroutbum said:

thats a super neat pattern, I've been beating on the bass ponds recently also with frog style gurglurs. do you have a recipe for that pattern? I'd love to try it out in a few different sizes

I think that I have it somewhere but can’t locate it but there are a few on utube that are similar. What I see that makes this work so well is the hook eye comes thru the bottom stack of foam. The variations are endless with materials for the tail.  The key is having a double stack of 2 mm foam. Only takes the slightest bit of movement to get results and when it rests it’s appetizing.

8 hours ago, turkaholic said:

My saltwater fishing has really suffered this year with a 75% reduction in catching. Really bringing me down. So I’ve been hitting up the bass ponds to keep me sane. Got this recipe from Tarpon guide Steve Huff in the Keys. He calls it Hot Lips. I use them for Stripers a lot but retied some small ones for pond fishing. They are the bomb! Bluegills can’t get over them, bass blow them out of the water. I must look like a 10 year old yucking it up out there as the action is unbelievable. Keeps a smile going for sure.

70673CB8-8013-4605-B012-33A314513F0B.jpeg

I need to find some local freshwater near me. 

Posted (edited)

They look similar to a gurgler 

Heres a few I tied up when I got into freshwater last year 

Such a treat on the 3wt glass fly rod

IMG-9462.jpg

IMG-9463.jpg

IMG-9464.jpg

IMG-9465.jpg

Edited by nchit

37 mins ago, yarddog59 said:

Big Bluegils on a four weight seven foot fly rod are a blast.....and taste great!

Panfish are what kept me fly fishing until I got better at it. So fun to sight cast to them and see them take the fly.

Panfish in a local lake for me lately, everything else is low and warm.

No rain here in the Lehigh Valley for quite some time.

It's kool to see others playing around with the panfish. I've been surveying some of my wild trout streams as of late. While I out I've been dragging a small 3 weight with me and a couple of boxes of flies , It's not really unusual for me to do so. post-46337-0-16146300-1430834505_thumb.jpgpost-46337-0-57195900-1431466648_thumb.jpgpost-46337-0-60270500-1431712875_thumb.jpgP8230100.JPG.10d98b0c3359afe9e22bb7c2996726a9.JPGP8230098.JPG.82da04ade27f64fa76460b2bf034585c.JPGP8230096.JPG.21e1953cc1544b836d4f59f4181672d6.JPG

On 8/20/2022 at 8:33 AM, adam42 said:

Panfish are what kept me fly fishing until I got better at it. So fun to sight cast to them and see them take the fly.

Couldn't agree more.  You'll be hard pressed to find a more fun way to learn to cast, strip, set the hook, etc. than by throwing bugs to panfish, IMO.  

9 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

While I out I've been dragging a small 3 weight with me and a couple of boxes of flies , It's not really unusual for me to do so. 

Same here.  I travel a lot locally for business, always keep a rod and box of flies for when I have a some time between appointments.  

Nice panfish boxes you got there.  I can recognize most of the patterns.  I like those in the last pic - is that just bucktail tied back with rubber legs?  Kind of a simplified version of a Madam X?  What size hooks do you tie those on?

3 hours ago, Niveker said:

Same here.  I travel a lot locally for business, always keep a rod and box of flies for when I have a some time between appointments.  

Nice panfish boxes you got there.  I can recognize most of the patterns.  I like those in the last pic - is that just bucktail tied back with rubber legs?  Kind of a simplified version of a Madam X?  What size hooks do you tie those on?

Those are called Hairballs . The name becomes apparent after a dozen or so Kivers ( Bluegills) have had a wack at them, Btw the more tore up the better they catch , Got this pattern from Tldig a member here . I like a size 8 or 10 for these. 

On 8/25/2022 at 2:50 PM, KidDkivahh said:

Those are called Hairballs . The name becomes apparent after a dozen or so Kivers ( Bluegills) have had a wack at them, Btw the more tore up the better they catch , Got this pattern from Tldig a member here . I like a size 8 or 10 for these. 

As a kid we always called them Kivers, lol

Posted (edited)

On Kivers and calicos growing up in central MA =  sunfish and crappie.

Went out looking for some last night between the storms and dark, ran into this guy with a trusty old Clouser

IMG-20220826-193746-01-01.jpg

Edited by Niveker