albacized

My Layman's review of a Shimano Twin PowerSW 4000

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So, I don't have the technical savvy to lay this out Scooby or Alan Hawk style...but my brief review: It's not a horrible reel. But it feels like the body of a fairly quality reel (but not 'Stella' quality - I have a Stella SW6000SWB, 2013 version) paired with a spool and drag system of a stradic or maybe a sustain. The drag has that feel to it. I was expecting something a little more 'Saragosa-like' in the feel of the drag, but it falls short of that. 

Granted, I only picked this up this past Sunday and used it one time...with the most 'gamey' fish caught  being a chub mackerel. I'm on the bubble regarding whether I should return this or just keep it. I think it would work well as a bonito/albie reel, which is why I bought it.  But I think I was expecting something with a little more quality in feel...no doubt I bought into the hype. My advice is to either stick with the more modest reels (stradics, sustains, etc) or jump into a Stella. This reel is not a souped down Stella. Or go Daiwa - I also have the Saltiga Bayjigger 4000 and that's a great reel - I just like the line management on Shimanos a bit better

Edited by albacized

In this size class. The SBJ outguns it. I had 2, and a Certiga BJ i made in a main thread.

You can play with line management by using different lines. Daiwas tend to lay better using a slightly smaller lines

1 hour ago, albacized said:

So, I don't have the technical savvy to lay this out Scooby or Alan Hawk style...but my brief review: It's not a horrible reel. But it feels like the body of a fairly quality reel (but not 'Stella' quality - I have a Stella SW6000SWB, 2013 version) paired with a spool and drag system of a stradic or maybe a sustain. The drag has that feel to it. I was expecting something a little more 'Saragosa-like' in the feel of the drag, but it falls short of that. 

Granted, I only picked this up this past Sunday and used it one time...with the most 'gamey' fish caught  being a chub mackerel. I'm on the bubble regarding whether I should return this or just keep it. I think it would work well as a bonito/albie reel, which is why I bought it.  But I think I was expecting something with a little more quality in feel...no doubt I bought into the hype. My advice is to either stick with the more modest reels (stradics, sustains, etc) or jump into a Stella. This reel is not a souped down Stella. Or go Daiwa - I also have the Saltiga Bayjigger 4000 and that's a great reel - I just like the line management on Shimanos a bit better

You can just return reels because you don't like em?

Posted (edited)

I picked one up last fall after I killed my Stella FJ C5000 and it’s been flawless, lots of fish on it, good to go. With 270yd of 20# 832 on it, needless to say it’s one of my lighter set ups.

It’s kinda a hybrid between FW/SW. It has a C5000 spool that runs on bearings (like Sustain FJ and up) not bushings (Stradic FL), an AL rotor similar to Stella FJ/FK & TP FD 4/C5k and is on the TP SW 5/6k body. So it has all the same body/AR seals in place as Stella SW & TP SW with the same guts.

I call it a quasi-sealed SW C5000.

Oh, and the Stella SW4000 is basically identical to this one, it just has a few more bearings…

Edited by Inshore

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, albacized said:

But it feels like the body of a fairly quality reel (but not 'Stella' quality - I have a Stella SW6000SWB, 2013 version) paired with a spool and drag system of a stradic or maybe a sustain

Same drag as Stella FJ C5k and SW4k…

6B0606F8-C7BC-4281-B821-4D368CCF9E75.jpeg.397315177a016a09f92c7b5e4a52ca64.jpeg
0BD15E83-0362-41D0-B683-419460B4C876.jpeg.acbc1b42dd3ed9dd8a8f578a193f6f66.jpeg

B3D6892F-F419-4B76-BF23-DB6B38149D98.jpeg.d84220cd98c2b7c95a472476a5d89d62.jpeg

Edited by Inshore

Fun fact, it has the same main gear and AR of the Stella SWC 6000XG…

3F3A8446-3A63-4C9F-BFE2-C27872AE3062.jpeg

765DABF7-7C0C-4B7E-AE7D-DA08F0376B97.jpeg

Thanks a lot for the replies - Guess I'll give it a shot. As I mentioned, it didn't feel horrible...just not $300 better than a Stradic. We'll see how well this reel sings with an albie tethered to it soon enough...lol

Posted (edited)

Give it a go, it’s a nice lil reel…

The latest versions, Stella SWC and TP SWC are very very very similar. I was shocked after I did this parts comparison...

Edited by Inshore

is not the same reel ,, , look closely at the body ,,

on the stella the gear go on the body that have feet.

on the TW,, i go on the body without feet.

as i remember that is not hagane and it plastic body on the TW.

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, Inshore said:

I picked one up last fall after I killed my Stella FJ C5000 and it’s been flawless, lots of fish on it, good to go. With 270yd of 20# 832 on it, needless to say it’s one of my lighter set ups.

It’s kinda a hybrid between FW/SW. It has a C5000 spool that runs on bearings (like Sustain FJ and up) not bushings (Stradic FL), an AL rotor similar to Stella FJ/FK & TP FD 4/C5k and is on the TP SW 5/6k body. So it has all the same body/AR seals in place as Stella SW & TP SW with the same guts.

I call it a quasi-sealed SW C5000.

Oh, and the Stella SW4000 is basically identical to this one, it just has a few more bearings…

So the 2021 Twinpower TP-SW4000 XG now has the same body size as their 5000 and 6000 SW?

I thought it was a misprint but apparently it's true from your schematics and Plat's schematics. Also the Stella SWC 4000 is on the body of the SWC 5/6 K. Shimano is pulling a Diawa. That explains why it's the first time I am seeing body seal on a 4000 size Shimano!(Because technically it's a 5/6K body size reel!).

Edited by aquaholik

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, aquaholik said:

That explains why it's the first time I am seeing body seal on a C5000 size Shimano!(Because technically it's a 5/6K body size reel!).

^^^FIFY^^^

And that’s why I picked it up;

1) Body size of the 5/6k with the same guts and horsepower.

2) Quasi-sealed, I say quasi cuz it’s not VS/ZB sealed.

3) And the key element (for me), smaller rotor and spool O.D.

I fish all JDM rods from shore, and most have smaller collector guides and the larger spooled/rotor reels tend to generate the classic “line-thud” as ya crank and the line twangs off the guide. Some people mistake this for an out of balance reel, but it’s not. This is why I fish almost all C5000 reels cuz it doesn’t do it, but C5000 reels don’t do well with too much time spent under water. Hence, dead Stella. (Shimano did bring it back to life tho… LOL!) 

Once I cracked the code on what the SW4000 actually was, I pulled the trigger. Like I said previously, it’s a quasi-sealed SW C5000. Win win for my application.

And just for fun, I’ve actually played with the Stella and Vanquish C5000 spools on it, and it does just fine….

Look at Shimano tryn’ 2 B sneakyyyyy….

Edited by Inshore

Please allow me to introduce the…

“StellaPower” LOL!!!!!!

04609620-0B1E-42BD-99F1-F6F20F66DAEB.jpeg

So it's a 5/6K reel body with a 4000 size rotor and spool? I like the 2oz weight saving from the 5/6K size.

11 mins ago, aquaholik said:

So it's a 5/6K reel body with a 4000 size rotor and spool?

Yes, except it’s the deeper version of the 4000 spool, the C5000…