PeteRocck

Spinning or casting?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, animalbarrie said:

You won’t see a spinning reel at a distance casting competition.  There is a reason for that.  

Anyone who says this has never been to a distance casting competition.

265 m - INCREDIBLE CAST WITH DIAMOND SURFCASTING ROD - YouTube

Once upon a time all my competitive casting, plugging and bait-and-wait fishing was conventional, unless I was on a sandbar at night, which is why I started with "staaled" Cracks and Luxors, and then graduated to VS's. My conventional surf pluggers were ABU 6500ct's, and my backwater conventionals were ABU 6500cs's with 6 to 9 bearings, depending on the model, and calcutta 400's.  For bait-and-wait it was either ABU 7000ct (sharking) or Penn Mag 525, both modified for several minute run times with mags full off.

Eventually, 15 years of "Iron Hand" training (old-school Okinawan Karate and Chinese Boxing) caught up to my right thumb, and with the left leg about 50% titanium and absolutely no cartilage in the right knee, the old VS's were retired or sold and mostly replaced with LC spinners for night plugging from dry sand, and my nighttime bait-and-wait fishing.  I also switched to almost 100% LC Spinners while I was still competing on the field with SportCast USA. Look at EDM and JDM websites for surf LC reels -both Shimano and Daiwa have quite the selection in the UK, France and Australia, to mention a few - note that they are sold under "sea" and "coarse" categories in Europe.  Some of the "Big Pit" Carp reels apply if they have water intrusion protection (X-Protect for Shimano and Mag-seal for Daiwa). As regards plugging, the Penn Spinfisher VI LC in 5500 and 6500 sizes, Shimano 5500 and Daiwa 25 and 35 sizes work well.

I still love my conventional reels, especially for working bucktails, shad and metal, but even on a good thumb day, I cannot hold the spool against more than 5oz with the right thumb while executing a power cast, so I can only do plugging or light bait-and-wait with a high reel position.  I prefer conventional for bait-and-wait but have to cast low reel and then relocate the reel up to sand spike/fighting position using either a century sliding reel seat or a second plate-type reel seat (because it has quick clips).  So far I have been lucky and never been caught getting hit with the reel in low position.

I have gone to 100% LC spinners for bait-and-wait at night, because my night vision for picking the occasional conventional bird nest is NG since I wear started wearing progressive trifocals, even with the red neck light.

Edited by FlatWing

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, FlatWing said:

Anyone who says this has never been to a distance casting competition.

265 m - INCREDIBLE CAST WITH DIAMOND SURFCASTING ROD - YouTube

Once upon a time all my competitive casting, plugging and bait-and-wait fishing was conventional, unless I was on a sandbar at night, which is why I started with "staaled" Cracks and Luxors, and then graduated to VS's. My conventional surf pluggers were ABU 6500ct's, and my backwater conventionals were ABU 6500cs's with 6 to 9 bearings, depending on the model, and calcutta 400's.  For bait-and-wait it was either ABU 7000ct (sharking) or Penn Mag 525, both modified for several minute run times with mags full off.

Eventually, 15 years of "Iron Hand" training (old-school Okinawan Karate and Chinese Boxing) caught up to my right thumb, and with the left leg about 50% titanium and absolutely no cartilage in the right knee, the old VS's were retired or sold and mostly replaced with LC spinners for night plugging from dry sand, and my nighttime bait-and-wait fishing.  I also switched to almost 100% LC Spinners while I was still competing on the field with SportCast USA. Look at EDM and JDM websites for surf LC reels -both Shimano and Daiwa have quite the selection in the UK, France and Australia, to mention a few - note that they are sold under "sea" and "coarse" categories in Europe.  Some of the "Big Pit" Carp reels apply if they have water intrusion protection (X-Protect for Shimano and Mag-seal for Daiwa). As regards plugging, the Penn Spinfisher VI LC in 5500 and 6500 sizes, Shimano 5500 and Daiwa 25 and 35 sizes work well.

I still love my conventional reels, especially for working bucktails, shad and metal, but even on a good thumb day, I cannot hold the spool against more than 5oz with the right thumb while executing a power cast, so I can only do plugging or light bait-and-wait with a high reel position.  I prefer conventional for bait-and-wait but have to cast low reel and then relocate the reel up to sand spike/fighting position using either a century sliding reel seat or a second plate-type reel seat (because it has quick clips).  So far I have been lucky and never been caught getting hit with the reel in low position.

I have gone to 100% LC spinners for bait-and-wait at night, because my night vision for picking the occasional conventional bird nest is NG since I wear started wearing progressive trifocals, even with the red neck light.

That really triggered you huh?  How would you know if I’ve been to a casting competition based off that statement?

I’ve attended CSCA competitions that are run by Tommy Farmer and the current US record holder Ryan Lambert.  Still not a spinner to be found.  

If you think you’re throwing 8oz and bait further with a spinning reel you’re just wrong.  

I use spinners for throwing metal and lures in the surf and they are great for that.  But when I need that distance the CTS 1306 and magged TRQ12 are coming out.  

Edited by animalbarrie

21 hours ago, animalbarrie said:

You won’t see a spinning reel at a distance casting competition.  There is a reason for that.  

Because they're not allowed to use braid. ;) 

People complain how badly metal lips cast, a conventional reel allows you to increase tension on the line during or near the end of the cast.  This will point the rear of the plug away from you leading to a better cast and less fouling on finicky plugs.

On 8/19/2022 at 4:46 PM, Ditch Jigger said:

Because they're not allowed to use braid. ;) 

Again, every SportCast USA competition I was in included allowed for spinners using the same test mono as conventionals - this is also true of USKF competitions - the video I posted was from Italy.

SportCast USA mono minimums were 100g - 6lb test, 125g - 8lb test, 150g and 175g - 10lb test.

I am not triggered - I just like to do the site justice by correcting misinformation when I see it - many OP's are looking for new information - our obligation is to not respond with misinformation or statements of fact that are not based on fact/personal knowledge.

As far as I know, Mark Edwards still owns the USA Record for spinning and Danny Oskops still owns the USKF World Record for Spinning.