PeteRocck

Spinning or casting?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Just curious on what everyone is using for surf casting. 
I’m currently new to surf casting and I’m using a spinning reel. How many of you use a conventional style reel? Don’t chop my head off but heard conventional reel will cast further. Is that true? 

8 mins ago, PeteRocck said:

Just curious on what everyone is using for surf casting. 
I’m currently new to surf casting and I’m using a spinning reel. How many of you use a conventional style reel? Don’t chop my head off but heard conventional reel will cast further. Is that true? 

In the right hands, with the right conventional setup, they will cast farther than a spinner.  For a beginner, I would stick with a spinner, a little more fool proof.

What cast further depends on what tackle is used and the fisherman … there are numerous articles on spinning vs conventional …my opinion and I never touch a spinning reel while surf fishing , says  conventional doesn’t have as many issues as spinning .. however there is the always potiential for that professional backlash, centrifugal brakes, mag brakes…as for spinning , line management is critical , how is the line laying on the spool , wind knots , braid or mono …. So to be on the safe side get one conventional for 3-8 oz and one spinning for 1-3 oz … don’t worry it’s only money …lol lol lol 

I use both, but I like my conventionals better. I think conventionals are way easier to cast than spinning reels after using them for a good year now, Especially with rigs weighing more than 6-7 ounces. Spinning reels will always have their place though, like when doing light chunking or bait fishing and plugging. Conventionals have more casting potential but it depends on the user if that potential gets used. I can get a 100 yard cast with a 12’ conventional much easier than I can with a 12’ spinner. 

Posted (edited)

Conventional if throwing 8oz and bait.  I only use spinning reel in the surf when throwing lures.  I rarely see people throwing spinning reels with weight and bait.  Most people throw conventional on Hatteras.

I would highly recommend learning how to throw conventional, you will pick up significant distance.  Fathom 15 or Saltist 20/30 are good reels to learn on, very tame.  

Edited by animalbarrie

I’m working on an older Penn Mag 10 that I removed the level wind on and bought new bearings from boca have plans to beef up the drag system and gear sleeve. Should be good for about 20lbs of drag. Line capacity and 4:1 ratio might be an issue. That’s all “if” I can tame it enough to surf cast. Otherwise it’s going on a jigging rod. Lol. 

27 mins ago, PeteRocck said:

I’m working on an older Penn Mag 10 that I removed the level wind on and bought new bearings from boca have plans to beef up the drag system and gear sleeve. Should be good for about 20lbs of drag. Line capacity and 4:1 ratio might be an issue. That’s all “if” I can tame it enough to surf cast. Otherwise it’s going on a jigging rod. Lol. 

Don't use a level wind for surf casting - shock knot may get hung up and then poooof.    

4 hours ago, PeteRocck said:

Don’t chop my head off but heard conventional reel will cast further. Is that true? 

Not really, or at least, not anymore. That was the case for many years, when mono was the prevalent line. Braid and long cast designed spools on spinning reels have really levelled the playing field, especially with lures. I had 2 XRA 1322 rods, one wrapped spinning, one wrapped conventional. Side by side on a football field, same type 3.25 oz. lure, I consistently threw farther on the spinning rod, with a Daiwa Emblem 5500 Pro. I was using a Penn 525 Mag non-level wind on the conventional. 50# braid on each, same brand (Berkley Big Game).

Oh, and I was far from a conventional rookie. It was my default choice since the late 1970s.

1 hour ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Not really, or at least, not anymore. That was the case for many years, when mono was the prevalent line. Braid and long cast designed spools on spinning reels have really levelled the playing field, especially with lures. I had 2 XRA 1322 rods, one wrapped spinning, one wrapped conventional. Side by side on a football field, same type 3.25 oz. lure, I consistently threw farther on the spinning rod, with a Daiwa Emblem 5500 Pro. I was using a Penn 525 Mag non-level wind on the conventional. 50# braid on each, same brand (Berkley Big Game).

Oh, and I was far from a conventional rookie. It was my default choice since the late 1970s.

You won’t see a spinning reel at a distance casting competition.  There is a reason for that.  

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Sad to see you using the past tense throughout that post, Mike.... Hope you are well and that you get to fish back on this side of the pond again...

To the OP; the process of attaining an educated thumb has its moments of frustration, for sure. I sought out someone, now gone, who fished the exact reel I wanted to use, the Abu Record 6501, a lefty. In half an hour I steepened my learning curve greatly. A real good bird's nest took the next half hour to either pick out or cut. I don't recall exactly... I must admit that I now only use the conventional reels for livelining or bottom fishing. 

Edited by nightfighter

I still get birds nests occasionally, granted I'm casting with a cheaper level penn combo that's about 5' long and meant for fishing from a boat.

I only fish artificial so i am using spinning gear for surf and offshore popping. I like conventional for trolling and slow pitch but also use spinning for some slow pitch applications   

IMO and from what I see night to night, conventional for bait and spinning for plugs. You can cast 8 and bait a lot further on conventional but spinning is gonna do a better job at casting a 1oz bucktail to fish on the beach lip. It’s not that one is better than the other, it’s preference and what you’re using it for. On the other hand I’ve seen guys use conventional to throw plugs and I’ve casted bait with spinning, a lot is personal preference and what you’re more comfortable with. For me and what I do, I like spinning but 99% of the time I’m throwing plugs. Just my 2 cents