Sponxx

Replacement Polarized lenses

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

I have been searching the forum and have found lots of threads on different recommendations for lenses. 

I have a pair of old Maui Jims model now discontinued (Shoreline MJ114) that I loved the clarity of the lens and neutral tone of the grey lens. Over time the lens cracked, sent to MJ, but they didn't have replacement lenses. They are still usable but there is a crack which doesn't impede vision

Last year I bought a pair of Costas Blue mirror 580G WhiteTip. With these I felt the color popped a bit more towards reddish/copper in a pleasant way. Last month I dropped them and one of the lenses cracked, now unusable

Fit with the MJs was a bit more comfy I think, but both have their niche uses.

So my question is regarding replacement lenses

Are there OEM replacement for the MJs? I have found Revant and Fuse replacement and lenses for the both, but seem to be polycarbonate, CDM has 580G lenses for 100$ on their website

Any preferences vs the original glass ones?

I am a bit of a snob for good quality VISION (not brands) and I love the glass on both

Thanks

Any good eyeglass shop should be able to order whatever lens you want and have it cut to those frames in no time. If you plan on hanging on to them, I'd go for Trivex over glass or poly, polarized, in whatever tint you fancy, with all the boxes checked for the coatings. 

Have you contacted CDM?  I believe their warranty is 2 years and in my experience they'll replace them even though they were dropped.  If not, they should offer a significant discount on a replacement pair which would likely be equivalent to buying 3rd party replacement lenses.

I've replaced a couple Maui Jim's with Fuse (dot com) lenses. They stock about everything but what they don't have they can make if you send in the frames. No glass but their poly carbonate is of good quality and the optics are excellent. It was an economical option for me, if your a glass only guy, it may not work for you. 

Thanks guys. 

Some updates. My Maui Jim's were bought in 2007, so quite old. I ordered a set of the fanciest lenses that Revant offered. Will try those, and see if the poly+polarized+anti-glare is good.

I contacted Costa, but didn't "file a claim", apparently I can do that on their website. The person I was on the chatbox with, referred me to a link and that is where I saw the cost of replacement lenses (about $100).Hopefully I can get those replaced by CDM under warranty, as the glasses are from July 2021 

I have other sunglasses to get me by, 2 other sets of MJs (hand downs that my parents didn't like) and a pair of RayBans I am using for driving.

Posted (edited)

See my other thread. Woot has tons Costas and other brands cheap right now. 

3881052B-0BFD-43B7-96FF-EB8C357F61EB.png

Edited by ecks
Added image

56 mins ago, ecks said:

See my other thread. Woot has tons Costas and other brands cheap right now. 

3881052B-0BFD-43B7-96FF-EB8C357F61EB.png

Thanks

Will check them out