Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LiuPostLax43

Reel for Lamiglas 1165

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hey SOL,

I'm having my grandfather's old Lamiglas 1165 redone to fish this fall and I'm trying to choose a reel.  I'll probably end up putting 30lb or 40lb braid on it.  I was thinking about the VS250X2 but that would mean waiting until October (hopefully).  I have a spare reel i can put on in the meantime but curious at other options there are. What other fully sealed reels are out there that you all use? Visser? Shimano? Price really isn't too much of a point but don't want to go over $1000. Not super important but its a plus if it comes in all black to match the look of the Garcia Mitchell 396 that was originally on the rod.

Thanks in advance,

Trevor

When I had my S-glass 136 3M as my go-to stick, I fished a 706Z on it. A 250 sized VS is perfect. From time to time I used a Luxor 300, so if they still make a 300 size VS, it's not overkill on that rod.

Let me see if I remember how to merge threads.

18 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

When I had my S-glass 136 3M as my go-to stick, I fished a 706Z on it. A 250 sized VS is perfect. From time to time I used a Luxor 300, so if they still make a 300 size VS, it's not overkill on that rod.

Let me see if I remember how to merge threads.

They just re-released the 300 size.  This is kind of a dilemma I'm running into.  The VSX series are hard to find new because they released the VSX2 series, which probably won't actually be available until October.  I should have the rod within the next few weeks.  My original thought was to borrow a buddies reel, order a VS250X2 (or maybe a 300X2 now) and wait for the reel.  Or see what other options are out there.  I don't have much experience with say a Visser or a ZeeBaas, or other sealed reels.

In the day that would have been paired with Crack 300, Luxor, or as stated earlier a Penn 706.  In any event it going to be a heavy (weight wise) setup, when compared to the new composites.

Shimano daiwa etc won’t be up to the sealing of vs/zb. Do you plan on cranking it underwater or swimming with it?