Bogey

Continueing problems with in-line hooks

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I’m trying to convert the plugs i use mostly to online singles. My problem is the thickness of the hook eye, Owner  recommends using a size two sizes up from the treble so I’m replacing 3/0 trebles with 5/0 singles.  the Owner and VMC hook eyes are so thick and fat that I had to replace the #4 split with a #7H this then increases the length of the connection resulting in many tangles, I’m too old to nite fish so the plugs I use are poppers and spooks so the action of  the plugs  is more violent than most diving plugs. 
Does anybody know of reasonably priced singles that have eyes about the size of the treble they replace, this may solve half the problem.

On a popper/ spook, you could try using a smaller single. Since it’s not a swimming plug, the weight of the hook is not as important to keep the plug from rolling on the  retrieve. You could also try the mustad inlines. I found that they have a longer point on them than the owner and vmc inlines. I had issues using owner and vmc on my SP minnows. I needed a large enough single to get closer to the original treble weight to prevent them from occasionally rolling over on the retrieve, but the middle hook point would occasionally catch on the back of the sp on the cast. Using the Mustad inlines eliminated this issue for me. 

2 hours ago, Fishjerk said:

On a popper/ spook, you could try using a smaller single. Since it’s not a swimming plug, the weight of the hook is not as important to keep the plug from rolling on the  retrieve. You could also try the mustad inlines. I found that they have a longer point on them than the owner and vmc inlines. I had issues using owner and vmc on my SP minnows. I needed a large enough single to get closer to the original treble weight to prevent them from occasionally rolling over on the retrieve, but the middle hook point would occasionally catch on the back of the sp on the cast. Using the Mustad inlines eliminated this issue for me. 

Are you talking about the Kaiju’s? I’ve only used the Owner and VMC’s and haven’t been happy with them.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, iwantmypie said:

Are you talking about the Kaiju’s? I’ve only used the Owner and VMC’s and haven’t been happy with them.

Yes the Mustad Kaiju’s in-line singles. In my experience, they don’t seem to rust quite as fast too. 

Edited by Fishjerk

There definitely is that fine line between getting the weight right and sizing so the singles don't wrap around the body.  For topwater, it may be better to leave the treble on the belly and just switch out the tail hook (or remove all together and replace with a flag or blade). 

14 hours ago, Bogey said:

I’m trying to convert the plugs i use mostly to online singles. My problem is the thickness of the hook eye, Owner  recommends using a size two sizes up from the treble so I’m replacing 3/0 trebles with 5/0 singles.  the Owner and VMC hook eyes are so thick and fat that I had to replace the #4 split with a #7H this then increases the length of the connection resulting in many tangles, I’m too old to nite fish so the plugs I use are poppers and spooks so the action of  the plugs  is more violent than most diving plugs. 
Does anybody know of reasonably priced singles that have eyes about the size of the treble they replace, this may solve half the problem.

Plugs with swivel belly hook attachments are not efficient nor functional with inlines. On plugs with fixed belly attachments, just play a bit with hook size...I use Mustad or Decoy inlines...Zero problems.

BKK Diablo inline singles have a small eye, and they are shortish hooks. It's a small eye but it's a bit awkward. It has a flat inside face which works best with a flat split ring - works well with BKK's own split rings. 

A short assist hook could be another solution to the problem. It would have to be a very short assist hook. The split ring attaches to the solid ring on the assist cord, and so the split ring is not attached to a bulky hook eye.

Shout! Ringed Kudako hooks might also be suitable. In smaller sizes - 5/0 and smaller, they are shortish. (But the attached solid ring adds to their length. They need the ring in order to be inline.)