ovenrat

large screw in tire

21 posts in this topic

tire isn't leaking but it's my permanent spare now

would spreading some tire cement in and around the torn up thread help keep "things" together should I need the spare ?

:scared:

IMG_0098.jpg

At least it didn't puncture the tire but I wouldn't leave it there.  What you could do is remove it and put a tire repair plug in the hole.  You coat the plug with rubber cement when you put it in.  That would give you some support in the tread.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Frank2104 said:

I'm trying to imagine how it got embedded like that! Never saw one like it. 

join the club, that's why I took the pic

surprised it's still holding air.....

there's a ton of road construction going on here in Roxborough all the way into Plymouth Whitemarsh

too many large paving equipment etc. tearing up the roads and cutting down tree's  :dismay:

Edited by ovenrat
edit

2 hours ago, WindAndWater said:

Slap some gorilla glue on there and put a couple hundred miles on it before relying on it as your spare. 

gorilla glue compatible with tire rubber ?.....

that's why I was thinking the rubber cement that comes with the tire plugging kits

18 mins ago, ovenrat said:

gorilla glue compatible with tire rubber ?.....

that's why I was thinking the rubber cement that comes with the tire plugging kits

I really have no idea. But just by looking at the description. They say it’s for the toughest jobs on earth. And then the second picture says it’s good for rubber. So try it for 200 miles and if you have a blowout, they’ll have some major explaining to do! 

3B48A130-A786-4A45-AB69-A26174FF4C56.png

8855DB3B-8B33-4B89-A9B2-8005B0E9B8BD.png

Boggles the mind how a lag bolt can get imbedded like that . If it was my tire , I would probably bring to tire shop and have them pull tire to check interior integrity of tire. If it good remount tire , if bad hit with interior latch.

So long as it hasn't penetrated any of the belts (steel, polyester, whatever) then once it's been removed it should be good to go.

thanks.....first decent day I'll drop the spare(screw tire), it's up underneath truck bed, see if it's held pressure the last 2 weeks and spread rubber cement all around where it was affected

Unless you are losing air, I wouldn't worry about that leaking. Looks to me just stuck in the lugs of tire, very strange but I would remove, might get a little road noise. Putting as spare should be OK

On 8/17/2022 at 9:53 PM, Kml said:

it is through the tread part only there is nothing to do beyond removing it.

This. You've lost the speed and likely load ratings on the tire, but if it isn't leaking and you just need it as a spare, you're fine. I'd personally throw some rubber cement in there (same type that comes with repair kits) but I'm a bit more careful with that than necessary.