R.R. Bridge Fisher

Credit card use in MA.

Rate this topic

106 posts in this topic

So I bought tires and pellets and both places said they charge 3% extra for credit card usage.

I thought this was illegal and I looked it up and I guess it is but they still do it.

It this just new times new practices? 

I usually never have cash on me. 

FMC wanted to charge me 3% for using my debit card to pay my summer ice time bill. It would have ended up costing me the equivalent of an hour of ice time. I ended up getting a bank check. 

Posted (edited)

7 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

So I bought tires and pellets and both places said they charge 3% extra for credit card usage.

I thought this was illegal and I looked it up and I guess it is but they still do it.

pretty much every gas station spells it right out - cash price, ccard price.  i never thought it was illegal ?

Edited by nicknotsebastian

My fav gun shop offers a 3% discount for cash.....he is building the 3% into his normal pricing I guess.

As I recall, it's illegal to charge a fee for credit card purchases. It is legal to offer a discount for cash purchases. 

15 mins ago, nicknotsebastian said:

pretty much every gas station spells it right out - cash price, ccard price.  i never thought it was illegal ?

Not the same 

It's allowed, as long as the 3% goes to the card processor and not the business. They usually call it a "Convenience Fee" like when you buy your hunting & fishing license online. Also a "cash discount" is permissible in all 50 states.

You wanna talk about a ripoff? I filed my corporation annual report yesterday and the convenience fee was nearly 10%. 

I heard this before-" can't charge more for card pricing".  But be damned, my town charges a surcharge for my pay online parking tickets using a card as payment, a surcharge for paying my excise tax with a card, and the state institution UMass Amherst will wack you a percent charge if you use a card to pay your bill instead of using a  check. 

So I guess it's the erosion of a norm or law taking place .. it happens with everything.

1 min ago, Eagles Dare said:

It's allowed, as long as the 3% goes to the card processor and not the business. They usually call it a "Convenience Fee" like when you buy your hunting & fishing license online. Also a "cash discount" is permissible in all 50 states.

You wanna talk about a ripoff? I filed my corporation annual report yesterday and the convenience fee was nearly 10%. 

About 10 years ago I questioned the legitimacy of a "convenience fee" when I purchase my saltwater licence.  A couple guys on this forum hung me out to dry.   Now it seems like the shoe is on the other foot.:laugh:

3 mins ago, bob_G said:

No one carries cash anymore. I can't think of the last cash purchase I made?

There are diners in my town that do not do cards, and some will,or have taken IOU's in place of taking card payments.  They just don't like paying the fee. I get it.  

11 mins ago, chisler said:

There are diners in my town that do not do cards, and some will,or have taken IOU's in place of taking card payments.  They just don't like paying the fee. I get it.  

Same here. A couple of my favorite places to eat are cash only.

21 mins ago, bob_G said:

No one carries cash anymore. I can't think of the last cash purchase I made?

It usually goes over better with customers if you just raise prices on everybody enough to cover the card fee purchases. If someone uses cash you make a bit more. 

People don't like getting charged fees. 

59 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Who has enough cash on them to pay for tires? That’s insane. Can you name the business so we can avoid them?

25 mins ago, chisler said:

I heard this before-" can't charge more for card pricing".  But be damned, my town charges a surcharge for my pay online parking tickets using a card as payment, a surcharge for paying my excise tax with a card, and the state institution UMass Amherst will wack you a percent charge if you use a card to pay your bill instead of using a  check. 

So I guess it's the erosion of a norm or law taking place .. it happens with everything.

next time you have to pay any ticket,  go in with a large bag of pennies and watch the panic..............

perfectly legal........