Roostahfish

Funnyfish 2022

Rate this topic

745 posts in this topic

35 mins ago, JimKu said:

I was at the canal on Friday morning east of the Sagamore. There wasn't crap going on. Decent amount of people fishing but no one catching anything. Picked the wrong location or day. I know everyday is different and different area's can be producing while others are barren. The problem is I tried the last three Fridays since I had off from work and they were all unproductive days. 

I got lucky that the three days I fished i had a blitz pop up right at my feet right at sunrise. I probably caught 28 fish this week, every single one was between 5:30 and 6:15.

I like to get there early, pick a spot where I think a blitz will pop up, and jig the night and then hope a blitz will appear in the morning. I strike out a lot, but this week the stars aligned for me or something and I had a great morning bite all 3 days.

the day I took that picture I caught 15 bass, and 14 of those bass were on consecutive casts. The smallest was like 14lbs and the biggest was a hair over 25lbs, but probably 12 out of the 15 fish were between 18-22lbs, like cookie cutter fish, they all looked almost identical length and weight wise

On 8/23/2022 at 6:43 PM, mikez2 said:

Epoxy jigs have short lives in rocky terrain. 

Was wondering — at what point of being beat to hell do you all retire your epoxies?  Like when it doesn’t swim right? Are the little speedsters going to shy away from a cracked epoxy?  
Either way I will keep buying more.  

1 hour ago, SwamOffStrong said:

Was wondering — at what point of being beat to hell do you all retire your epoxies?  Like when it doesn’t swim right? Are the little speedsters going to shy away from a cracked epoxy?  

Atleast for me usually the tip of the nose breaks off on one side. I just keep fishing them cracked or not until I eventually lose it to a bluefish/snag/ seal or whatever

1 hour ago, SwamOffStrong said:

If the eye is bent or roughed up by rocks, I toss it.

If a little epoxy flakes off, I bury em in my box for emergencies. 

49 mins ago, EliasA said:

Atleast for me usually the tip of the nose breaks off on one side. I just keep fishing them cracked or not until I eventually lose it to a bluefish/snag/ seal or whatever

Same. I use. Them until I lose them. Sometimes you get one fish out of an expoxy jig before it cracks and other times they last forever. The one I’m using now is on its third season and still looks fine other than teeth scratches. 

If they are damaged but still usable, I'll put a single hook on and use them for bluefish.

With that said, a lot of times for albies, I'll put single hooks on or always pinch down the barbs on the OEM treble.

When you buy epoxies make sure the bent wire is centered and even epoxy. This will help make it last longer. An open loop or small clip will also help make the epoxy last longer. 

On 9/30/2022 at 3:37 PM, Steel Pulse said:

A humbling day. Gave up on a sure thing,  which I had yesterday, and right down the street and went East today. 3 different ramps miles on the boat and 25 on the trailer for one fish. Birds and fish were very, very,  scarce. I  Always say one Albie is a good day but it sure doesn’t feel like it today. Packing up the cottage and heading off Cape. Need a rest. Hoping this wind doesn’t send water temps crashing too much and the fish moving away. Back at it next week. 

Its gonna be tough. I would imagine before this NE is done, South Cape will be 59 or less. 

Posted (edited)

Just a PSA for all the new or inexperienced funny fishermen:

When there is plenty of room on the jetty, there is no excuse for crowding another guy just because he was hooking up.

It's not the rock he's standing on. You won't get any better luck crowding the guy. You just cut him off from where he was casting along the jetty. Now neither one of you will be catching. 

If you're close enough to be carrying on a conversation with the guy on your right, but there's a 50 yards gap on your left, you're too close.

Sorry, just had to vent. Never could understand why guys need to snuggle so close when it's not crowded. Spread out! Give a little space!

Try casting along the jetty. Leave room for the next guy to cast along the jetty. 

I get it, when it's crowded you squeeze in where you can.

That's not what I'm talking about. 

Edited by mikez2