Roostahfish

Funnyfish 2022

Rate this topic

902 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, zeke04 said:

Just lost a fish to 12 lb Seaguar last night.

Anything under 20 lbs seems too light for saltwater to me. I use 12 lb on my freshwater rods. If you set the hook hard on an 8-9 pound albie with 12 lb line you’re going to have problems. Hooking a bigger bass or blue is even a bigger problem. 

Interesting reading about how leader shy albies are.   I used to catch them along the islands trolling an umbrella rig with 50lb wire and a heavy mono leader.  Sometimes I'd swear if there was an albie within a half mile they'd crush that rig.

Unfortunately they couldn't be released because they were all hopelessly tangled in the rig.   When I boated one, I'd bleed it, and filet it. The fillets fed Labrador Retrievers, the frame went in lobster traps. 

Looks like there is a window Sunday. Like to bring the yak down.

0C8F364A-B809-4345-BA1F-E60F89E904C1.png

Breezy NW this morning.

Slow but steady opportunities from dawn through coffee break, then some nice feeds on anchovies late morning. 

All fish and missed hits came on 5/8 white.

7/8 Anchovy and 5/8 shrimp were ignored 

Screenshot_20220923-145138_Gallery.jpg.4a198eab0e958ae042506fa1a4918a15.jpg

1 min ago, rst3 said:

Breezy NW this morning.

Slow but steady opportunities from dawn through coffee break, then some nice feeds on anchovies late morning. 

All fish and missed hits came on 5/8 white.

7/8 Anchovy and 5/8 shrimp were ignored 

Screenshot_20220923-145138_Gallery.jpg.4a198eab0e958ae042506fa1a4918a15.jpg

How was the surf?

10 mins ago, z-man said:

How was the surf?

Zero.

No swells at all, and the wind was howling offshore...so no wind waves either 

Wish I could get back out tomorrow but family got me too busy.  Man they are hungry and boat traffic seems to be finally dwindling.  Days like today are why I save the majority of my vacation time for this time of year.  Can't beat it.

1 hour ago, z-man said:

How was the surf?

1 hour ago, rst3 said:

Zero.

I was in the sound. 

Which wasn't expecting much anyway. 

Still surprised to see zero swells though. Figured there'd be 1-2 fters. Nope. Not even 6 inchers. 

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, rst3 said:

Zero.

I find that a lot of times, the southside is often left out of the swell situation...not sure if its the islands or the angle of the shoreline or what....but that observation is not 100% foolproof...I have seen it nasty over there every now and then

Edited by albacized

Crappy day for me from shore. Fished from 6am to 6pm and didn’t catch anything. Bass at day break on cape didn’t produce. Mid morning saw one pod of albies but didn’t want to cast over a couple of bait soakers. Didn’t see any again in that spot for a few hours and blind casting didn’t find any. Headed south cape in early afternoon. Loaded with peanuts and small bass crushing them all afternoon but they were not touching any oferings. Guy near me caught 2 albies in about 4 hours. Must have been the only two around all afternoon. no one else caught any and a sighting was very rare. 

Some of these South Cape Spots have changed bait multiple times or turns into a smorgasbord. Various size peanuts, chovies, silversides, butterfish, butterfish fry, herring fry, juvi herring, chubs, squid, mud minnows, glass minnows,  sand eels, and some snot bait translucent  with two black eyes.....all this stuff has spilled onto the deck from catching. Other folks may have seen more types of bait. If you get refused on one 

color one day that could be one of the reasons. 

17 hours ago, albacized said:

I find that a lot of times, the southside is often left out of the swell situation...not sure if its the islands or the angle of the shoreline or what....but that observation is not 100% foolproof...I have seen it nasty over there every now and then

Agree. A direct East or ENE has sent rollers in one time I witnessed in as far as Nobska but it just can't get to the south cape beach fronts.

Lost an Fat Albert recently with brand knew 10lb floro (Blue Label Seaguar). 
Immediately switched backed to

an old reliable Berkeley Vanish 17lb and

voila. 

96F60180-B985-4049-956E-434C26DA37DA.jpeg.a7013852b82f2f3c37715a37965d8de0.jpegBC90A4A2-61FD-490F-9D6B-89F34C0BE0C1.jpeg.c50de4a966e1cd6b408adba3c44975b2.jpeg

On 9/23/2022 at 11:06 AM, z-man said:

Anything under 20 lbs seems too light for saltwater to me. I use 12 lb on my freshwater rods. If you set the hook hard on an 8-9 pound albie with 12 lb line you’re going to have problems. Hooking a bigger bass or blue is even a bigger problem. 

I have caught many albies in the past on 12 Lb. I used to use Vanish as main line for spinning gear and steal strips of same for fly leader.

I rarely broke off, provided I didn't chafe on rocks.

But in crowded conditions and rough seas, especially on tall jetty rocks, 12 is a liability. 

Now my son convinced me to finally go to braid. Of course I immediately reaped the rewards of casting lighter and longer.

The down side is now I fight and curse and swear at my constantly shrinking leader.

New and more knots to fail, crappy expensive floro, stress of retie during a blitz, the futility of casting when the damn leader is too short again...