Roostahfish

Funnyfish 2022

Rate this topic

902 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, VitaminDee said:

I take a 2hr drive each way to try and catch a mixed bag of stuff. 

Same and I do this 2 times a week if I can...

Just FYI to anyone thinking of heading west this weekend, be forewarned, plan on seeing all your friends. And their friends. And their IG subscribers....

Word is out.

Bet it'll be a fun day at the launch.

I'll be heading West. It has to be better than the Cape. At least a change of scene and some other species mixed in.

Might have ran into some Spanish macs today.   No love tossing Albie stuff.  Any suggestions.   And don’t say fly rod because  I busted mine this AM and spare is back home.   Broke in two.  Didn’t notice it got  under the cleat and when lifted “snap”.  

Did very well with cape Albies in yesterday’s wind. 

Change of scenery today, tried outfront RI in today’s glass calm conditions. Scored a Rhody funny fish slam: bullet tuna, chub mack, albies, bonito, and Spanish mack. Other than the macks/bullets, the bigger funny fish weren’t showing. Most albies came on the blind cast, a couple by throwing into busting fish, and 1 albie, a s-mack, and a bonito came on the troll.

no boats within a half mile of me

Posted (edited)

Flat calm for most of the morning made them a bit picky. But after they stopped hitting epoxies, the small fly trailing behind a hookless epoxy did the trick. Microbait. 

2FE9CF6E-0113-49CB-8DAB-9ED66FC8F1E5.jpeg

Edited by golden

Went out for a quickie after work till dusk. Got several. No crowds. I should do this more often. Out into the weekend circus tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, golden said:

Flat calm for most of the morning made them a bit picky. But after they stopped hitting epoxies, the small fly trailing behind a hookless epoxy did the trick. Microbait. 

Hodor? 

14 hours ago, Joser said:

Same and I do this 2 times a week if I can...

my drive was a bit shorter but not by much, just recently moved to Pepperell and always ask myself why didn't we move closer to the ocean....:wee:

16 hours ago, notime said:

Might have ran into some Spanish macs today.   No love tossing Albie stuff.  Any suggestions.   And don’t say fly rod because  I busted mine this AM and spare is back home.   Broke in two.  Didn’t notice it got  under the cleat and when lifted “snap”.  

Deff some Spanish macs around. I won't say flyrod but I will say I picked up one on an albie whore yesterday. 

Sucks about your flyrod. I had the opposite today- snapped one of my spinning rods early while casting an epoxy and swapped to the flyrod.  20220917_084255.jpg.ce60f239174ce11550b18b84a5974be4.jpg

Shore report. Had the day off Friday. Tried the canal in the morning primarily for bass and it was dead. Didn’t see any signs of funny fish either. 
Headed to southern cape areas. Not great shore conditions. Sunny wind blowing away. Blind casting and bouncing around found nothing. Few pods popping up way out of reach. 
finally found where the fish were.  There was a mix of albies and small bass busting on peanuts all afternoon but they were very finicky.  No one caught one   Not even the boat guys that I could have shaken hands with. I had a few hits but did not hook up.  
I did manage a few small bass toward sunset. 
Someone I spoke with said they caught a few in the morning which doesn’t surprise me. Probably less picky in am. 
The weather was gorgeous and there were very few people at all locations. Not many boats out either. Need a day to recover from hours of walking and blind casting. 

14 hours ago, golden said:

The fly behind the hookless jig is a good idea. :)

Had a good day today, considering it had to be abbreviated (family plans) and leave by 10 am. I went 5 for 8, including 2 caught on the fly rod for albies + -an approximately 8 lb blue. All non fly caught fish were caught on albie snax

5C03354A-C4BC-4236-BC69-132294AFD2AB.jpeg

654F7228-BF10-487C-9F66-99A1C9BCC9FA.jpeg

Also, if you think you need sunlight to catch albies, the first one of the day for me was caught about 10 min before this pic was taken 

7871DFA2-A713-43CD-ABE2-AC98D71B0B4C.jpeg

Had about a dozen yesterday was great for me but others didnt do well.  Didn't seem to matter what I threw as long as it was an epoxy.  Pink blue echix all caught.   Trick was leading them.