Roostahfish

Funnyfish 2022

Rate this topic

750 posts in this topic

For me, on the species for the year list, the bone always seems to be the hardest box to check.

4 hours ago, Steel Pulse said:

Me too. That’s a sure bet most likely. He’s on the water a lot more than me   

You guys are building me up lol. I’m going to have to look around, but it won’t be until Friday. Plenty of time for someone else to take the title! 

9 mins ago, jason colby said:

What a great idea-a new Japanese food craze!

("Grilled Whole Bonito with Wasabi Mayo on a Toasted Hotdog Bun")

Don’t give the regulators another species to try to manage.   I can see the US shipping hundreds of thousand pounds to Japan at $0.25/ pound…

1 min ago, Seadogg said:

You guys are building me up lol. I’m going to have to look around, but it won’t be until Friday. Plenty of time for someone else to take the title! 

I would always prefer to be the guy that gets the last Albie the first is no big deal. When no one is out anymore looking, even you are out plugging for that last big bass along the Elizabeth’s but have the Albie gear on board and unexpectedly there they are. Always a rush. 

Just now, Steel Pulse said:

I would always prefer to be the guy that gets the last Albie the first is no big deal. When no one is out anymore looking, even you are out plugging for that last big bass along the Elizabeth’s but have the Albie gear on board and unexpectedly there they are. Always a rush. 

I love that. Plenty of times over the years I’ve written them off only to come across that late October surprise feed. Always have a rod ready! 

24 mins ago, Fitzy said:

Don’t give the regulators another species to try to manage.   I can see the US shipping hundreds of thousand pounds to Japan at $0.25/ pound…

Hunto-deska?

We had our first snow albies two years ago. November 1. Pretty cool. I’ll be out Friday running around the sound looking for them hoping to get the first ones for the year. 

18 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

But albies don't taste delicious :drool:

True!  I still think of albies as the real deal.  Bones are their goofy cousin.  Ya, technically they are related, but you don't go around telling folks unless you are forced into it.

50 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

True!  I still think of albies as the real deal.  Bones are their goofy cousin.  Ya, technically they are related, but you don't go around telling folks unless you are forced into it.

Bigger bonito usually fight like hell, more similar to albies. I went out to the hooter several years ago and got into them blind casting the rip. All day action despite no visible surface feeds. They were much larger than the ones I usually get at the Elizabeths or the Westport/RI border. Blistering runs. Sometimes the ones close to home are duds. Still fun, but usually a lot less fiesty than core. 

1 min ago, Seadogg said:

Bigger bonito usually fight like hell, more similar to albies. I went out to the hooter several years ago and got into them blind casting the rip. All day action despite no visible surface feeds. They were much larger than the ones I usually get at the Elizabeths or the Westport/RI border. Blistering runs. Sometimes the ones close to home are duds. Still fun, but usually a lot less fiesty than core. 

My experience with bones are that you get one decent (not great) run, and then they kind of give up.  I would love it if they fought like albies, but in my experience, they don't.     As you said, they are fun, but not "albie fun".

1 min ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

They're here. Just had 3 shots at them from shore. Let the games begin....

I’m looking for the little bastards tomorrow if I can find some time between tows. 

Great news, but I had to cancel my trip to the Cape tomorrow so now instead of being excited I'm bummed.   Good luck for those of you that can get out tomorrow or over the weekend.