Capt.Castafly

Hot Summer Trout Fishing

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Low water tables, extreme heat, lesser oxygen levels, lethal stress limits for cold water fish, I'm sure a lot of us are staying away from the fishery to preserve what we have.

Why impact more damage, that goes with other species too like over the slot stripers with extended fights, bring them up from the depths, lactic acid, hard to resuscitate.

Do you think some of these six pack boats ever try to safe a monster fish? Most of the time they just flip them over the side as floaters with their higher freeboard and continued spread already in the water with other rods. I've seen commercial rod and reels go around picking up these same fish and sell them at market. Makes their day and expenses easier.

47 mins ago, Oakman said:

Humans are scumbags in general, especially when it comes to preserving nature.

I agree. I have little faith in humanity anymore. Take take take…..

My bro went camping on the Farmington River 2 weeks back after DEEP closed the tribs to fishing.  He made the right call and didn't even bring his rods.  Sadly the rest of the river was packed with people exploiting these stressed trout.  In places, the flow is so slow and shallow its like shooting fish in a barrel.  Completely unethical and down right sickening.

Yup, humans suck.

Rules are for others ! NY Salmon river  fly fish  zone been a joke for 30 yrs. .If they don’t enforce it, the barbarians will be there!

I used to fished the Farmington- In summer it was for smallmouths. Prefer smallies to trout. Not much different then the Housatonic, but yea avoid any cold water streams/inflows or springs where the trout are in a thermal refuge. They are not all that hard to find/see and avoid.  

Cooler heads, gentlemen. As you can see from this graph, the water coming out of Hogback is quite cold and extremely trout friendly, even in the middle of the day. And this monitoring station is a few miles below the dam.

62fe77bcec181_ScreenShot2022-08-18at1_30_01PM.png.43c34e727c5c5c516df8b1462f75502c.png

Coupled with daytime highs in the low 80s and nighttime lows in the upper 50s, trout from the dam down to the upper end of the TMA are hardly stressed. Even in the Permanent TMA down to New Hartford, the fish are finding spring houses and deeper water and most will make it through this unscathed. It should be noted that the thermal refuges listed a few weeks ago are far downstream from the dam, and far below the Permanent TMA. 

Whether you enjoy fishing in low flows is another matter -- it's not my bag but to each his own. Very respectfully, while the fish tend to stack up in deeper runs and oxygenated slots and pockets, they remain difficult to catch. As always, carry a thermometer, use it, and don't fish when the water temperatures approach or exceed danger levels.

Hope that helps,

Steve Culton

Do any of the eastern streams ever have “hoot owl” closures like the streams out west?

SF

Great, way to throw cold water on a hot bitching session Steve. We were just picking up steam. 

On 8/17/2022 at 7:01 AM, Oakman said:

Humans are scumbags in general, especially when it comes to preserving nature.

I think that would be a compliment for a good number  of us unfortunately. 

7 hours ago, Oakman said:

Great, way to throw cold water on a hot bitching session Steve. We were just picking up steam. 

That gave me a genuinely good laugh. Thank you. :-)

Steve Culton 

I know there is a section on the Beaverkill closed to fishing because colder spring water holds trout during the summer months . One can find Brook Trout on many mountains blue line waters , if you know where to go and physical abilities allows . Water was 84 degrees in the morning yesterday sometimes higher during the peak of the day in Florida yesterday  if you can find pot holes the trout will still eat . 

This is nothing new. Rivers in NE routinely have summer fish kills. Even as a kid I remember being able to walk down bone dry river beds during summer droughts. There is only one river one can fish safely in NE during such conditions.

17 hours ago, The Fisherman said:

Cooler heads, gentlemen. As you can see from this graph, the water coming out of Hogback is quite cold and extremely trout friendly, even in the middle of the day. And this monitoring station is a few miles below the dam.

62fe77bcec181_ScreenShot2022-08-18at1_30_01PM.png.43c34e727c5c5c516df8b1462f75502c.png

Coupled with daytime highs in the low 80s and nighttime lows in the upper 50s, trout from the dam down to the upper end of the TMA are hardly stressed. Even in the Permanent TMA down to New Hartford, the fish are finding spring houses and deeper water and most will make it through this unscathed. It should be noted that the thermal refuges listed a few weeks ago are far downstream from the dam, and far below the Permanent TMA. 

Whether you enjoy fishing in low flows is another matter -- it's not my bag but to each his own. Very respectfully, while the fish tend to stack up in deeper runs and oxygenated slots and pockets, they remain difficult to catch. As always, carry a thermometer, use it, and don't fish when the water temperatures approach or exceed danger levels.

Hope that helps,

Steve Culton

All good.poimts Steve.  One of the issues is that MDC was/is only releasing the bare minimum flow of cold oxygenated waters and less than half of the statically median summer flows (see below).  They were actually down to 50 cfs at one point before DEEP mandated more flow.  This cold water then gets somewhat thermally diluted by the warmer Still River inflow.

This pushes the safe temperature boundary well up into the TMA. Upcountry was recommending not fishing below Church Pool for example.

Bottom line is these fish need a break.  Let the concentrate on surviving these drought conditions vs constantly being pounded.

USGS.01186000.66860.00060..20220720.20220819.log.0.p50.gif