Comics

Rate this topic

cityevader

Back in the day, before computers were common place, our 3 kids, now all in their 40s, had bound versions of all the Calvin & Hobbs, FarSide, and BC paperback comic books.  We still have them all.  They are now all tattered and torn from years of hard reading.  And my kids now have their own copies of these books for their own kids to read.

I’m sure some of you remember the BC comics.  It was all about cavemen and their new inventions.  One caveman would ride around on his stone one-wheeled mode of transportation.  It defied common sense because the stone axle was a fixed to the stone wheel.  But still he would ride around quite comfortably on his one wheeled stone thingy.
Now back to the present:  Several months, ago I saw a kid in the local park riding a similar one-wheeled thingy… except his one was battery powered and the rider was very skillful at traversing both paved and gravel paths.  Looks impossible to ride, as was the BC version, but he was having fun and definitely had stepped right out from the pages of BC, with only slight modifications from the original design.

Stone Age:

Caveman.png.945f34da1f0b648fef1630174f7dae42.png

To the present:

62fd25ee0f06d_Modernversion.png.c2342490cfe763dd1efa9d53ad5d592b.png

The first casualty of War, Politics, and now Covid is the truth.

10 hours ago, harley48 said:

I like both, I always thought they were apples and oranges.  Far Side are one liners, C&H tell a story

I like 'em both, too and your assessment is spot on. :th: 

I was away for work once and went into B&N to get something to read. I came out with two, count 'em, two!!, Calvin & Hobbes hardback books. Gonna have to give them a read again. 

Edited by MikeMc

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

5 hours ago, Jdeadman66 said:

Calvin and Hobbes helped me get through some difficult times as a kid. I read them all over and over. I loved those books.

Years before she passed away my Mother sent me this with a note that said, "This sums up our relationship when you were a kid ..." :laugh:

I've never understood this comic. : r/calvinandhobbes

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end -- which you can never afford to loose -- with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they may be .."

On 8/17/2022 at 4:51 PM, MikeMc said:

Gonna have to give them a read again. 

I grabbed one of them and was reading it today. I had tears rolling down my face I was laughing so hard. :laugh: 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

Despite the thread title......

I still have all of my volumes of Far Side but regret losing track of all of my volumes of Calvin and Hobbes

...methinks if I still had all volumes of both comics today...that I'd edit reverse thread title's < > symbol?