PAtroutbum

New forum member and new saltwater, help needed!

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Hello everyone I'm super glad to join your community and very excited to start my journey salt fishing! As my username suggests I'm from PA and typically fly fish for trout, steelhead, salmon, and small mouth but seeing as I am starting to run a project up in RI for about three to four months out of the year I figured it was the perfect time to get into saltwater fly fishing.

The time frame I'll be up so far this year is September 6-16 and nearly the entire month of October. I'll be staying in the west Warwick area and most days I'll finish work around 4 or so and have some weekdays off as well. I need some help with finding some spots that I can practice my casting a little more and get into some fish just so I can practice up and be ready for when I go down to Judith and really work for an albie. Like I said this is all very new to me so any tips, tricks, or even what I should be looking for/how to read water are greatly appreciated. I will be only shore fishing and I sort of have some spots lined up now but any help via a DM is greatly appreciated, and if anyone were to have a boat slot open count me in, I'll bring the beer/sandwiches. 

As for gear so far I have a 9' 9wt spooled up with 200yd. 30# Dacron and a striper intermediate line. As for flies I am so far mainly focused on albacore but I'd like to widen to include some striper and blue flies. I have surf candies in synthetic and bucktail, EP bay anchovies, albie whores, rays flies, and your generic clousers all in 1/0. What are some other patterns that I should tie that will work well for stripers and blues? I've heard poppers can be a lot of fun as well, is there a specific color or size I should look for?

Thanks in advance for all your help, hopefully I can hook into a few new species this fall and ultimately I'd love to hook an albie! 

Welcome aboard....I moved this to the Fly Fishing forum here...you'll get much more help with your fly fishing questions from these guys :)

TimS

5 mins ago, TimS said:

Welcome aboard....I moved this to the Fly Fishing forum here...you'll get much more help with your fly fishing questions from these guys :)

TimS

That was a good idea.

29 mins ago, PAtroutbum said:

Hello everyone I'm super glad to join your community and very excited to start my journey salt fishing! As my username suggests I'm from PA and typically fly fish for trout, steelhead, salmon, and small mouth but seeing as I am starting to run a project up in RI for about three to four months out of the year I figured it was the perfect time to get into saltwater fly fishing.

The time frame I'll be up so far this year is September 6-16 and nearly the entire month of October. I'll be staying in the west Warwick area and most days I'll finish work around 4 or so and have some weekdays off as well. I need some help with finding some spots that I can practice my casting a little more and get into some fish just so I can practice up and be ready for when I go down to Judith and really work for an albie. Like I said this is all very new to me so any tips, tricks, or even what I should be looking for/how to read water are greatly appreciated. I will be only shore fishing and I sort of have some spots lined up now but any help via a DM is greatly appreciated, and if anyone were to have a boat slot open count me in, I'll bring the beer/sandwiches. 

As for gear so far I have a 9' 9wt spooled up with 200yd. 30# Dacron and a striper intermediate line. As for flies I am so far mainly focused on albacore but I'd like to widen to include some striper and blue flies. I have surf candies in synthetic and bucktail, EP bay anchovies, albie whores, rays flies, and your generic clousers all in 1/0. What are some other patterns that I should tie that will work well for stripers and blues? I've heard poppers can be a lot of fun as well, is there a specific color or size I should look for?

Thanks in advance for all your help, hopefully I can hook into a few new species this fall and ultimately I'd love to hook an albie! 

The thing about Rhode Island ... it is a really small state with alot of shoreline and getting to fishing locations is a relatively short drive. And as a fly fisherman ... well saltwater fly fishing for Striped Bass was practically invented there. Certainly practiced there, going back to WWII and the "Harold Gibbs Striper Fly". 

RI has the oldest, still meeting Saltwater fly fishing club in the USA I believe. At SOL go to the RI Forum and follow Capt. Ray's fishing report to get an idea of the current state of fishing affairs. Beyond that ... break out a chart of Narragansett Bay ... look for tidal rivers & tidal pond outflows ... and you'll be catching Stripers (like fly fishing for Salmon) in the Spring. In the fall ... it's Rock & Jetty fishing along much of the coastline (Korkers a must have) ... with Bluefish, Albies and Stripers on the run. And of course rent a boat / get a guide and fly fish the blitzes. 

Good luck in your fly fishing quest.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, KironaFly said:

That was a good idea.

Are you sure. LOL :howdy:

To the poster. KironaFly just covered it.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Welcome!

To your question on flies - stripers and bluefish will eat all of the flies you've tied for albies, and more.  In fact, I believe the surf candy was developed as a bluefish fly.  In any event, you can go with just those flies you've mentioned and do well.  You'll find that there are lots and lots of esoteric striper flies (part of the fun, imo) but baitfish patterns like deceivers, EP minnows, flatwings will work, crab/shrimp patterns (even bonefish flies) and topwater stuff (especially gurglers or Bob's Bangers). 

I think the best piece of advice I can give you is to get yourself to the Saltwater Edge in Middletown and talk to Peter Jenkins - or any of the staff, really.  Deep experience in the area, will know what's going on at the time, and may even hip you to some good access points.  Good chance to stock up on the patterns you're missing.

A couple of last thoughts: starting with albies, especially from shore, is a tall task.  I can count on one hand the number of fly fishers - very experienced- I know that have landed an albie from shore.  Maybe starting with stripers or blues would be an easier intro.  Also, I know lots of people fish top water flies with an intermediate line, but I vastly prefer a floating line in that case.  Lastly, I'm not sure what the bluefish bite is like in RI these days, but best to have a spool of wire tippet, because if you get in them, they'll bite off all your flies.

X2 for the Salt Waters Edge, great shop with good helpful people. You can also go on line a get their updates on what is going on in RI.

if you do the podcast thing, check out the one called seven stripes. 

the host is based out of wareham mass i think but most the episodes are pretty fly fishing centric and a lot of his guests fish rhode island.

the episodes with peter jenkins or jerry audet may be good jumping off points.

good luck.

Welcome, @PAtroutbum!  A few things to keep in mind when moving from freshwater to salt:

• Get yourself a stripping basket to help with line management
  • Always wear eye protection.  You may be used to wearing polarized glasses during the day, but if you're fishing at night, or low light, you'll still want something to protect your eyes from errant casts with relatively large flies coming back toward you (especially dangerous in windy conditions).
  • Be mindful of the surf when fishing ocean beaches.  Always keep an eye on the incoming waves.  If you need to tend to your fly or gear, step out of the water to do it so you don't get knocked down by an unexpected breaker.
  • While most people think of the salt as the enemy of your gear, sand is a bigger problem.  Don't rest your reel on the beach, and be aware that sand will accumulate in your boots and abrade your stockingfoot wader feet.  Plan accordingly.
  • Unlike river/stream fishing, where the fish are holding in fairly predictable positions depending on flow, tides play a major role in where the fish will be.  You'll need to spend the time to learn which tidal stage/conditions are best for the places you're planning to fish.

I started fishing the salt a few years ago after a long time flyfishing for trout, and it's been a ton of fun, but I still have a lot to learn.  Good luck!

Everything mentioned above, and be sure to check out the Saltwater Edge in Middletown RI and chat with Peter Jenkins and his staff. They are the best in the business and are really good people that will steer you in the right direction. Be sure to check out the Saltwater Edge Podcast for some additional information while driving to a fishing spot. A stripping basket is necessary and being MINDFUL of the wind, waves, tides, will go a long way and make it a safe and enjoyable experience. Getting up EARLY, after hours,  and exploring spots can pay off.

Tight lines.

First off I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome, it is very nice. I also want to thank everyone very very much for all of the help they were generous enough to give. A fly shop recommended Striper Moon and my copy just arrived while I was out on the last trip so I am looking forward to combing through it. At a glance it looks like it will be very helpful in many ways.

I'm looking into getting a WFF line and spooling up my backup salmon reel with it so I can try my luck with poppers as that sounds like a ton of fun. I've heard how difficult an albie from shore is and honestly I most likely won't hook one let alone land it but I'm for sure going to try my little heart out. I do plan on trying to find some good spots to practice on blues and schoolies first hopefully, it seems like Striper Moon might help some with access points and general what I'm looking for when reading water/charts and when I should be going out. I do have 15# tieable steel leader for the blues as well, I've heard they can be really rough on leaders and flies.

Thanks everyone for the fly shop recommendation, I'll be sure to stop in there when I'm up there. Inevitably I'm going to need something also so it's good to know there's a good shop nearby with a great staff. I did make myself a stripping basket based off some online recipes so I should be good there also. Those tips @East Coaster are excellent, thank you so much. I think my next mission is to take some notes on the podcasts mentioned and try and make a plan of attack with some charts. Thanks again everyone for all of the help, it's going to be super exciting to hook into some new species and maybe even see my backing once or twice!

I remember just starting out 25 years ago - and I still have a ton to learn! (And I had NO flyfishing background when I started.)

Your 9 wt outfit is a good start and IMHO set up correctly. At some point you will likely want a spare spool with either a sinking line or a floater - eventually you'll most likely want both. But your intermediate will do most of what you'll want/need and probably be your go-to line 80 to 90 per cent of the time.

If you haven't already, get a basket! Unlike a trout stream or lake scenario you need to control your line. One cast without a basket will demonstrate this immediately. Start there.

If you will be fishing rock or jetty areas you will need Korkers. But there'll be plenty of places you can wade fish without them.

You'll have more striper / bluefish opportunities than anything  else. Carry some wire just in case - if you find blues in numbers they can clean out your flybox quickly.

Capt. (Ray) Castafly can point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the obsession!

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, PAtroutbum said:

First off I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome, it is very nice. I also want to thank everyone very very much for all of the help they were generous enough to give. A fly shop recommended Striper Moon and my copy just arrived while I was out on the last trip so I am looking forward to combing through it. At a glance it looks like it will be very helpful in many ways.

I'm looking into getting a WFF line and spooling up my backup salmon reel with it so I can try my luck with poppers as that sounds like a ton of fun. I've heard how difficult an albie from shore is and honestly I most likely won't hook one let alone land it but I'm for sure going to try my little heart out. I do plan on trying to find some good spots to practice on blues and schoolies first hopefully, it seems like Striper Moon might help some with access points and general what I'm looking for when reading water/charts and when I should be going out. I do have 15# tieable steel leader for the blues as well, I've heard they can be really rough on leaders and flies.

Thanks everyone for the fly shop recommendation, I'll be sure to stop in there when I'm up there. Inevitably I'm going to need something also so it's good to know there's a good shop nearby with a great staff. I did make myself a stripping basket based off some online recipes so I should be good there also. Those tips @East Coaster are excellent, thank you so much. I think my next mission is to take some notes on the podcasts mentioned and try and make a plan of attack with some charts. Thanks again everyone for all of the help, it's going to be super exciting to hook into some new species and maybe even see my backing once or twice!

When you get to the SOL posting threshold ... and can receive PM / private messages, let me know. I'll send you some useful information about fishing around RI.

And incase you where wondering about Rhode Island fishing potential. This video recently popped up. Nothing like fish at your feet ... when you have a fly rod in hand.

Edited by KironaFly
Additional information added.