nightfighter

Work boots or light work shoes

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Been a fan of Keens since chiropractor recommended them to me. Have had 3 or 4 pairs of the Targhee 2 and Targhee 3 mid height hikers and they have been excellent on my wide feet. Tomorrow I am trying the Targhee 3 low cuts. Got them for the support that I could not find in sneakers.

What do you like?

PSA Olympia Sports parent company going out of business, so their shoes are heavily discounted. Saw different work boots/shoes in the 30-40 dollar range  marked down 60%

I abandoned work boots years ago for a ton of reasons. I've been wearing hikers every since. 

I tried the Targhee 2 and they lasted less than 6 months before falling apart. Merrell Moabs were even less. I've been wearing Salomons for about 8 years, getting about 2 years from a pair. After Salomon changed the GTX 3D a few years ago, I ditched them. The quality was not the same. 

I'm wearing Lowa Renegades now and absolutely love them. Been wearing them about a year with zero complaints. No signs of wear, other than the outsole, which is normal and minimal. 

I wear boots 12+ hours a day. 

Sketchers for me.

So what if I'm slightly gay now, they're comfortable.                                        And not having long boot laces makes me feel safer when listening to Chris Cornell songs.

Timberland for me. 8" tall.  Wearing Timberland boots over 50 years. They will probably bury me with these.

IMG_4795.PNG

6” Timberland Pro 26078 waterproof and insulated 

Chippewa 6” 72250

Added toe guards to both and have had them for 4 years beat but still going strong. They’re available in Xw or were at the time of purchase.

For on board boat work New Balance 627v2 steel toe or soft toe

I wear sneakers at work. Used to wear boots, but they're just too heavy, and honestly, uncomfortable. Moved to Merrills, then some LL Bean hiker-type things, and they were all just okay, not great. Been wearing Brooks sneakers to work now for the last 5 or 6 years, and my feet feel great.

I just got a pair of Keen Dover’s, very comfortable. Waterproof, composite safety toe, and they’re made in the USA. Tried on a couple pairs of boots, Danners, Red Wings, Thorogood, the Danners were the most comfortable but all had that wedge sole which is no bueno in the snow…

Once upon a time in my youth I wore nothing but steel toed zipped combat boots. Now I wear whatever trail runners I can buy cheap at Costco or BJ's, with off the shelf orthotic insoles.

Pushing almost 30 years in construction, I've found the only boots I can wear are the insulated Red wings, no matter how hot it is. The best thing about them, is I get 3 solid years out of them, with daily abuse, and zero maintenance.

13 hours ago, PI Guy said:

I just got a pair of Keen Dover’s, very comfortable. Waterproof, composite safety toe, and they’re made in the USA. Tried on a couple pairs of boots, Danners, Red Wings, Thorogood, the Danners were the most comfortable but all had that wedge sole which is no bueno in the snow…

I wear moc toe boots for casual wear in the winter. I had my danners for about 5 before the seams gave out. Extremely comfortable. I bought Whites Boots this time around. Hoping to get more life out of them as they're a bit more pricey and seem to be more durable. Thicker leather, harder sole and better stitching. Not as comfortable as the danners out of the box though. Wedge sucks in the snow for sure though. Like being in skis. 

On 8/16/2022 at 4:00 PM, nightfighter said:

Been a fan of Keens since chiropractor recommended them to me. Have had 3 or 4 pairs of the Targhee 2 and Targhee 3 mid height hikers and they have been excellent on my wide feet. Tomorrow I am trying the Targhee 3 low cuts. Got them for the support that I could not find in sneakers.

What do you like?

PSA Olympia Sports parent company going out of business, so their shoes are heavily discounted. Saw different work boots/shoes in the 30-40 dollar range  marked down 60%

Keens all the way. I’m probably on my 8th or 9th pair by now. I have to wear steel toe boots at work and they are the only brand I’ve found that fit my feet without pinching or rubbing somewhere. I get a year out of each pair and by then the soles are usually pretty worn but I’m on my feet all day on concrete and gravel so they take some abuse. 

They have good customer service too. You can order right from their website and they have free returns. 

Oboz.  

Especially if you have a high arch 

They are so good they sell their insoles separately.

Waterproof, breathable, lightweight.

That being said, the last pair I bought from REI started to peel between the rubber & leather. First problem I have had with any of them