Striper46

Alternatives to AYC

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

After going through a lot to get my hands on AYC it turns out I'm allergic to it. So I'm looking for a wood that has similar characteristics, something that doesn't expand and contract so much I would say is on the top of the list for me. fyi I only build gliders.

I have used pine from lowes/homies and it was good to work with but seems to expand a lot, I was also doing a **** job at sealing lol so maybe I'll go to a actual lumbar yard and get some good pine and seal it properly.

Has anyone ever used Douglas Fur?

TIA!

Edited by Striper46

Striper46, 

I see you're in Monmouth county, so am I, I've been using white cedar to make my gliders, it's relatively easy to find, works well, and is light. Soft too, but it is what it is.

Medford cedar might have some, I found a guy south jersey who was milling blown down cedars off his property.

16 hours ago, mybosox3 said:

I use aspen 

Never heard of it, what do you like about it?

15 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Basswood is good, just seal it very well.

thank you, is there a specific way to seal it?

12 mins ago, Ed White said:

Striper46, 

I see you're in Monmouth county, so am I, I've been using white cedar to make my gliders, it's relatively easy to find, works well, and is light. Soft too, but it is what it is.

Medford cedar might have some, I found a guy south jersey who was milling blown down cedars off his property.

thanks ED but I thinK I will stay away from any Cypress trees, a quick search on white cedar shows its the same as ayc as far as allergies are concerned.

Capture20.PNG

4 hours ago, Striper46 said:

thank you, is there a specific way to seal it?

Epoxy.

Posted (edited)

I use a lot of Port Orford cedar. Similar but harder. But it is a cedar and you may have issue with it also. 

Edited by Steel Pulse

Yes that too if you can find some nice tight grain stuff. I’m always on the look out for it. 

1 hour ago, Big Dave said:

Clear Sugar Pine  what a great wood to work with 

58 mins ago, Steel Pulse said:

Yes that too if you can find some nice tight grain stuff. I’m always on the look out for it. 

That looks like the direction i have to go. I spoke to a lumbar yard yesterday and they said they have a clear tight grain pine but we'll see how it actually looks. thanks

I purchase better than C grade. It’s always clear and comes rough at a true 8 quarters thick and 18 inches wide. I buy it at a running board foot or if they have cut offs hanging around I take them. 

You can try Cypress. It has similar properties as far as rot resistance goes. It is very common in my area due to the mushroom business mecca of Southeastern PA. It can be more 'stringy' or coarse, but you just have to keep that in mind when turning and finishing the wood.

There is a lumber mill near me that sells to the growers and you can get rough milled dimensional, or even Kiln Dried. We use it for garden beds at local elementary schools, lasts a long time.