JLew

Daiwa 3500- maintenance or get a new reel?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I’ve had a bg 3500 for two years. Originally thought most of my use would be bay fluking, sea bass, porgy and an occasional striper here and there. I’ve started to find myself in some spots with bigger fish - after two days where ive ended up catching 20 stripers (20-29 inches) and 10 gator blues on the reel it just isn’t the same. It’s grinding on the reel in now and just doesn’t feel smooth anymore. Is that just too much fish for that reel in peoples opinion? Ie should I be getting another reel if I’m gonna continue fishing for that kind of action and if so what reel do people recommend? I have a spheros 8000 that has caught similar fish without issue in a heavier rod, but it weighs too much for a light tackle setup. I’m pairing the reel with a st croix inshore rod- so I’m looking for something light but also has the firepower to withstand 10 pound blues and 15 pound stripers with regularity. Thanks for the help. Also, is it worth getting the bg serviced for $40 with shipping when it costs $120 new or just retire it?

Might just be a bad bearing or two.  Might be a cheap fix but sometimes those thrust bearings cost a fair amount to replace.  That's a lot of strain for a 4000 size spinning reel.  You might get better longevity by going up in price point to the BG MQ or Ballistic, or higher  but that's a lot to ask out of a reel that size.  I've put some 4000 Shimano Stradics through some torture and they held up.  On the other hand, I trashed a 5000 Stradic with what I thought was pretty ordinary work.  My experience has been you usually get what you pay for and all the major manufacturers have good products at their moderate and high end offerings.  A little maintenance and TLC when you're done for the day and a little luck can go a long way.  If it were me, I'd move up to a higher end reel.  See if the BG can be repaired for relatively cheap and if so, use it as a backup.   

Pretty simple reel. Alan hawk has a good review on the insides of them. 

Open up the side plate and slap some grease in there and oil the bearing. 

back off the line roller screw and put some corrosion x in there. 

open the right side handle cover and add some corrosion x on that bearing. 

clean out the drag stack and add cals. 

See if that solves your problem. 

if not, I would not spend $40 to service. 

Yes, may be a little light for gator blues. 

Thanks guys for your input. If I were to retire, what is a good reel that can hold up to that kind of fishing but is good for a light tackle setup and is in that 10-12 oz range? It’s nice to not have to use a 24 Oz reel and correspondingly heavy rod all day!

6 mins ago, JLew said:

Thanks guys for your input. If I were to retire, what is a good reel that can hold up to that kind of fishing but is good for a light tackle setup and is in that 10-12 oz range? It’s nice to not have to use a 24 Oz reel and correspondingly heavy rod all day!

Not sure on the weight, but the Penn Slammer III 4500 was a steal when they went on sale from $250 to $150 a few weeks back. 

I grabbed three. 

3 hours ago, JLew said:

Meant to ask what would be good that is in the 15 oz range and can stand up 

Price range?

$200 or less ideally. But if what im looking for doesn’t exist in that price range (that will hold up) then can be higher

Do people have a view on whether a Stradic 5000, a Spheros 6000 or a Daiwa MG 5000/6000 would do the trick for pulling in 10-15 pound stripers / blues without it overpowering the reel and wearing out as it seems to have done to my bg 3500? Seems like these are all 15 ounces or less so keeps it light. If so, which is the best in people’s minds?

48 mins ago, JLew said:

Do people have a view on whether a Stradic 5000, a Spheros 6000 or a Daiwa MG 5000/6000 would do the trick for pulling in 10-15 pound stripers / blues without it overpowering the reel and wearing out as it seems to have done to my bg 3500? Seems like these are all 15 ounces or less so keeps it light. If so, which is the best in people’s minds?

My stradic 4k went through alot of hard use for a spinning reel of that class and just recently started making some noises indicating a needed indepth, 5k is same reel bigger spool and egg handle. Caught over slot bass, big blues, and drug plenty of fluke and sea bass up on it fishing up to 130ft.

18 hours ago, JLew said:

$200 or less ideally. But if what im looking for doesn’t exist in that price range (that will hold up) then can be higher

I take stripers up into the 30"+ range and use a 3000, sometimes a 2500. Found my 4000 size was just too big and heavy plugging for 5-8hrs strait. But I've been beyond pleased over the  last year moving to a Penn Clash ll primarily the 3000 size I mentioned. Has about the same drag as your BG of 15lbs. A Clash ll 4000 is 10.6oz for weight. In any case it might be worth a look to you and comes in at $199 with Amazon prime. A 3000 size comes in at $175. 

23 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

Not sure on the weight, but the Penn Slammer III 4500 was a steal when they went on sale from $250 to $150 a few weeks back. 

I grabbed three. 

I was also going to suggest a slammer 3 4500 - you can find them cheaper and they are a step up from the BG.

I have several Saragossa 4000 size and it is a tough reel that can hold  up to what you are catching.but the price is over $200 at this time..I also have a 3000 series that feels as strong as other shimano 4000"s. "Don't go to a gun fight with a pocket knife".

1 hour ago, animalbarrie said:

I was also going to suggest a slammer 3 4500 - you can find them cheaper and they are a step up from the BG.

Solid piece of machinery for sure.