j0broni

Best Surf Fishing spots in Long Island?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

How is the fishing in NYC? Every time I'm there I never see anyone fishing and when I ask the locals they joke about catching 3 eyed fish.

1 hour ago, adam42 said:

How is the fishing in NYC? Every time I'm there I never see anyone fishing and when I ask the locals they joke about catching 3 eyed fish.

Plenty of good fishing in NYC ---last year  had bluefin---  including some giants ---from Early May to December --- within sight of the skyline.

6 hours ago, KironaFly said:

To be a better fisherman ... to be successful catching when fishing ... then you have to read all kinds of things.

Google was mentioned as in read a map and get the lay of the land and surrounding waters. Google will get you into a neighborhood by car .... but a nautical chart showing outflows, structure and contours of the land (boulder fields) underwater is useful knowledge to gain. Reading the water ... like a beach for troughs and riptides helps. What are the birds doing, etc.

In most places with waterfront ... property owners limit access and I'm sure that's a thing along Long Island shores. So local fishing clubs and local tackle shops will get you oriented to public / common access spots ... but after that ...explore and maximize your time on the water, whether they be local or in another state.

Good luck in your quest.

Awesome advice, thanks for your comment 

good fishing come from ,puting time and exploring local fishing.you have to learn what fish are aviable ,time off the year and you have to learn when is  feeding time for fish.some time you have 1 hour window and some time 3 hours.only to find out you have to put time in to it.

Posted (edited)

Read and subscribe to a certain surfcasting magazine, there’s a lot of really good articles about what makes a good spot and the 70 something articles is a good way to pass the time. As stated before, google maps is a tremendous help. Find places you can fish often, learn what tides and conditions work and which don’t. Certain times of year will also produce more than others, over by the city is great in the early spring and late fall. Not to say you can’t catch other times. Find a few spots, fish them hard and it’ll start to click. Half the fun is figuring it out 

Edited by bobbymoore

On 8/16/2022 at 2:06 PM, j0broni said:

Thanks for your comment. Totally understand that nobody will give me there best spots but was looking for broader advice (Long beach is good, far out by Montauk even better, etc) but I will take your advice and find some easily accessible spots from LIRR and just wing it

Thanks 

Broad areas... try Smith Point, Wildwood State Park, Orient Point. 

Best advice I ever got when starting out was to find a couple of fishy spots near home and learn them inside out.  Fish those spots at different tide stages, moons, wind directions, early, late and often.  What you gather learning those couple of spots well,  will help you identify and better fish new spots in the future.

1 hour ago, Sobe1knobe said:

Broad areas... try Smith Point, Wildwood State Park, Orient Point. 

Easily accessible from the LIRR? Is there a bus from the Mastic-Shirley station to Smith Point? I don't think the OP has a car.

On 8/16/2022 at 5:56 PM, pakalolo said:

Take the train to the end , find the ocean and fish

A

You forgot to add A

Took a break from fishing when living in NYC for half a decade and I kick myself for missing out on all the great fishing within a train ride. On the other hand if I had been fishing the surf then my gear habit would probably have been so bad I would never have been able to afford finally leaving NYC lol.

Take the LIRR to Montauk, buy a used bicycle and a sleeping bag, cruise around-fish-camp in woods.

18 hours ago, XBMX said:

Take the LIRR to Montauk, buy a used bicycle and a sleeping bag, cruise around-fish-camp in woods.

Go home with Lyme disease. :D