j0broni

Best Surf Fishing spots in Long Island?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I'm a novice fisherman (just started 2 years ago) live in NYC and just quit my job. Am taking a month to myself to live the dream of fishing everyday and just enjoying life. I love surf fishing on Far Rockaway. I have a few good surf rods, a cooler, and a decent amount of spoons / diamond jigs / bucktails / gulp mullet.

I've really only surf fished far Rockaway. Would love to expand my horizons.

Where in Long Island are the best places to go surfcasting ?? Ideally accessible by the LIRR?

Thanks for your time.

Joe

12 mins ago, j0broni said:

I'm a novice fisherman (just started 2 years ago) live in NYC and just quit my job. Am taking a month to myself to live the dream of fishing everyday and just enjoying life. I love surf fishing on Far Rockaway. I have a few good surf rods, a cooler, and a decent amount of spoons / diamond jigs / bucktails / gulp mullet.

I've really only surf fished far Rockaway. Would love to expand my horizons.

Where in Long Island are the best places to go surfcasting ?? Ideally accessible by the LIRR?

Thanks for your time.

Joe

Easy and close for you would be Jones Beach field 6.

Park in the east lot, quick walk to the water, then continue east.

Go at low tide to see some real soft structure and take a few casts. 
Structure is key or you’re fishing blind.
Head east, past the nude beach at field 9 and there’s a few not so prominent points. Keep walking and you’ll find the Roda at Tobay. It’s a long walk, but often productive. 

Go on google maps and find places. That’s the best way to do it. Nobody is gonna tell you their favorite spots. I will say maybe go on google maps and look to the right and left of far rockaway and fish around there. Sombody once told me to fish in areas that you can easily access and consistently go to and I think that’s very helpful. 

41 mins ago, Chrishockey said:

Go on google maps and find places. That’s the best way to do it. Nobody is gonna tell you their favorite spots. I will say maybe go on google maps and look to the right and left of far rockaway and fish around there. Sombody once told me to fish in areas that you can easily access and consistently go to and I think that’s very helpful. 

Thanks for your comment. Totally understand that nobody will give me there best spots but was looking for broader advice (Long beach is good, far out by Montauk even better, etc) but I will take your advice and find some easily accessible spots from LIRR and just wing it

Thanks 

59 mins ago, jesgord said:

Google maps is your friend.

Anything in particular you recommend I look for ? There's like 70+ miles of coastline I can review on Google maps, plenty accessible by train, was looking for guidance on what I should look for to pick a good surf fishing spot.

Or is it basically all the same? 

Thanks for your comment 

23 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

Just fish the east river or Hudson River …

Definitely do! I live right on the east river in Williamsburg. Unfortunately without fresh bait (which isn't easy to come by near me) I've had very little luck this year

2 hours ago, j0broni said:

Definitely do! I live right on the east river in Williamsburg. Unfortunately without fresh bait (which isn't easy to come by near me) I've had very little luck this year

Just go to any fish store and ask them for anything they are going to discard and use it for bait..

2 hours ago, j0broni said:

Thanks for your comment. Totally understand that nobody will give me there best spots but was looking for broader advice (Long beach is good, far out by Montauk even better, etc) but I will take your advice and find some easily accessible spots from LIRR and just wing it

Thanks 

Your very welcome but another thing I want to comment on is how you said “Long beach is good, far out by Montauk even better” to me this is one thing I really don’t like. And what I say is totally my own opinion and everyone has an opinion. But I hate that statement. I too succumbed to that statement in the beginning of my fishing days. But I have found that fishing your close and local waters more often make you a more efficient fisherman. Instead of going to sit on a train for hours to fish montauk for the weekend and then go home. Find a local spot that you can go to easily. I don’t want to come acrosss as being uptight I’m just simply stating my opinion. I’m sorry if it sounds harsh. There’s times where I fish my local waters and have the absolute best nights of fishing and then I go to montauk and get skunked. That’s just part of the game. I’m not saying montauk is bad by any means we all know it’s an amazing place. Just think of your local spot first. I hope this will help.

To be a better fisherman ... to be successful catching when fishing ... then you have to read all kinds of things.

Google was mentioned as in read a map and get the lay of the land and surrounding waters. Google will get you into a neighborhood by car .... but a nautical chart showing outflows, structure and contours of the land (boulder fields) underwater is useful knowledge to gain. Reading the water ... like a beach for troughs and riptides helps. What are the birds doing, etc.

In most places with waterfront ... property owners limit access and I'm sure that's a thing along Long Island shores. So local fishing clubs and local tackle shops will get you oriented to public / common access spots ... but after that ...explore and maximize your time on the water, whether they be local or in another state.

Good luck in your quest.

46 mins ago, Chrishockey said:

Your very welcome but another thing I want to comment on is how you said “Long beach is good, far out by Montauk even better” to me this is one thing I really don’t like. And what I say is totally my own opinion and everyone has an opinion. But I hate that statement. I too succumbed to that statement in the beginning of my fishing days. But I have found that fishing your close and local waters more often make you a more efficient fisherman. Instead of going to sit on a train for hours to fish montauk for the weekend and then go home. Find a local spot that you can go to easily. I don’t want to come acrosss as being uptight I’m just simply stating my opinion. I’m sorry if it sounds harsh. There’s times where I fish my local waters and have the absolute best nights of fishing and then I go to montauk and get skunked. That’s just part of the game. I’m not saying montauk is bad by any means we all know it’s an amazing place. Just think of your local spot first. I hope this will help.

Hey thanks I really appreciate this insight ! 

Take the train to the end , find the ocean and fish back west. We have 100 miles of Atlantic coastline. Have fun. Fish at night. I