Topside2

Kayak Etiquette/Law Question

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Kayaking guides should know the law. It is illegal to harass fisherman. If a guide is responsible to know the law and his environment for the welfare of his clients then it follows that he should be able to be prosecuted if indeed he did lead the group into the area you were fishing. I guided kayak tours and lessons for years on the NH coast , on the Cape, and inland NH. I would never allow my clients to paddle in the area a person was fishing whether from land or in a boat. I don't think the pogy snag is  the answer but some action is needed if we are going to get things to change. I have seen other fisherman do similar thing in power boats, in kayaks and recreational boater and kayakers as well. Our water ways are more and more crowded every day,  the only hope we have is to take the time and try to educate people when things like this happen. If the offender is unwilling to listen then we should take what ever legal action is appropriate for the situation. As to the best kayak guides on the east coast I have to call bull****. I have known many guides in my day a can;t think of one that would be that unaware. For a guide that is an opportunity to teach in the moment I can't believe any guide worth his salt would pass it up. Education is the only workable solution either by individuals explaining calmly, or by a law enforcement officer, or even a judge in a court of law.. Fishermen have rights

1 hour ago, Fishinjohny said:

Kayaking guides should know the law. It is illegal to harass fisherman. 

Let's not blow things out of proportion. Passing through is not harassment. It's a temporary inconvenience caused by them being inconsiderate. We don't need to all become Karens the minute we're mildly inconvenienced.

On 8/16/2022 at 10:36 PM, Topside2 said:

These kayakers were participants in a kayak outfitter course  and were being lead by "two of the best instructors on the east coast."  This according to the owner of the outfit when I asked for a little courtesy after the incident.

“Two of the best instructors on the east coast”

a few questions to the person who made that statement

where does she get her Volvo serviced?  
Does she know any good wine stores in Cambridge?

Posted (edited)

On 8/24/2022 at 10:15 PM, adam42 said:

Let's not blow things out of proportion. Passing through is not harassment. It's a temporary inconvenience caused by them being inconsiderate. We don't need to all become Karens the minute we're mildly inconvenienced.

If I was on fish and some kayakers spooked them I would not be able to stop myself and go full on Karen.

Edited by CotroneOnIce