Eagles Dare

One dead one missing after jumping from "Jaws" bridge

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I can't imagine how. :headscratch:

I've jumped off that thing dozens of times. There's a steady stream of jumpers all day every day in the summer. Never heard of anyone getting hurt. It's only 12 feet or so.

I guess it was at night? Maybe they hit each other and both got knocked out.  :why:

Or maybe they couldnt swim or were "impaired" ? Id believe anything these days. 

Someone broke their neck there last year.  Low tide and the shallow water along the edges of the channel spells a disaster for anyone diving head first.

Channel is pretty distinctive in the daylight. I guess nighttime would make it more difficult.

They weren't tourists. Were living in OB for the summer and working in a restaurant.  You'd think they'd have been there numerous times in the day.

Always the possibility of being impaired as well.

It was late Sun nite when it happened and there were other people around, could they swim, you would think yes

1 hour ago, clambellies said:

Someone broke their neck there last year.  Low tide and the shallow water along the edges of the channel spells a disaster for anyone diving head first.

Little Bridge, much shallower

Posted (edited)

A day or two off the full moon tide, incoming at Big Bridge at that time. Around 11:30 pm. Nine jumped in, two didn't come out. Victims are two brothers working at Nomads for the season from Jamaica. Mid 20's. With a ripping moon tide through that channel, even a strong swimmer might not be able to swim cross-current over to either side, jetty. Yet seven did make it out but I haven't read their accounts. Did hear the two that went missing jumped in never to be seen again, perhaps an eddy or such pulled them under as well.  Their only chance might have been to float it in, treading water as best they can. Stay calm and maybe swim around towards shore or Sennet Island. After all that- even that scenario seems tough.  Right now police did not suspect intoxication or other artificial impairment. Tragic.

Edited by brushfly

I'd imagine they weren't great swimmers, maybe went with the crowd not knowing what it's like in that current. Can't imagine their parents' grief.

25 mins ago, flysully said:

In MV Times today's edition, both victims' bodies have been retrieved as of this morning.

https://www.mvtimes.com/2022/08/18/divers-will-continue-search-friday/

I thought I'd read somewhere that the current was flowing into the pond when they jumped. Not sure if that's correct but the fact that they found him along the western bank of the pond seems to back that up. Makes you wonder why it took so long to find him. Not THAT big of an area, especially compared to the open ocean.   

49 mins ago, shark lobster said:

I fished right near there this spring when i was working on the island seems pretty shallow!

As long as its over your head, it doesn't much matter how deep it is if you can't swim.

29 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

As long as its over your head, it doesn't much matter how deep it is if you can't swim.

If you HIT your head, it doesn't much matter if you can swim.