bridgerat

Surf shark

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

At a south shore beach on Sunday and watched kid land this nice brown shark.

932175CE-75DF-4968-8792-BD0BB76A311B.jpeg

I enjoy hooking into these during the summer months, it's easy fishing, nothing particularly specialized and entertaining enough on it's own.  to produce self aggrandizing youtube videos in my opinion, is silly....but so is most of what finds it's way to the platform, particularly from our local spots.  

9 mins ago, mark77 said:

It wasn't that long ago that  shark fishing was kept relatively quiet,  it wasn't some huge secret, but def wasn't on the nightly news.

I think this recent growth in targeting sharks will come to a head in the next few years. Towns are already starting to ban shark fishing on their local beaches. As clueless news stations pick up these stories there will be calls to ban the practice. Eventually, any shark fishing will have to be kept quiet, and filming it for YouTube likes will get you in trouble. Don't fret, those attention-seeking types will find something else to do, and the guys who have been doing it the right way for decades will be SOL. 

3 hours ago, mark77 said:

Some idiot made the  CBS news the other day for catching some browns at jones, pics of him with his name and @handle on screen. "He fishes for  these sharks and caught FIVE that day, the biggest was over 3' long! Catch of a lifetime!", says the talking head.  First off,  Illegal.  Why doesn't DEC go after this guy, do they not watch news or flip thru social media? He admits to targeting and catching prohibited species, seems like an open and shut case. Make the new headline "Shark Poacher caught and fined, loses license."  Educate the public, don't spread misinformation.  Second, not impressed at all with little browns. Maybe if he pulled up a bull or small great white, but still not really newsworthy.  These things are a dime a dozen once the water gets warm. I'm more impressed by the big ass cobia swimming out there or the black drum.

It wasn't that long ago that  shark fishing was kept relatively quiet,  it wasn't some huge secret, but def wasn't on the nightly news.  Like you said, an easy and entertaining way to kill a summer night. Then a certain internet fisherguy started posting his excursions at jones beach and the whole thing blew up.  I thought for sure the DEC would be going after these kids who paddle out bunker past the break on swimming beaches during the day and post themselves , instead they stop me at night on my town beach a mile from the entrance to ask questions.  They "heard" about shark fishing happening here. Ya, no **** sherlock, heard of LI Shark guy? He's here during the day,  scaring families, dragging em up into the sand right in front of the entrance. Go find him instead of hiding in the dunes at night. 

I’ve submitted proof of clear lawbreaking in media to officials before and it’s gotten somewhere, you’d just need the offenders name and the proof of lawbreaking, which would require a picture or video of him breaking the law, I don’t think him saying he breaks the law would do as much but who knows. 

On 8/17/2022 at 2:45 PM, HarryHood711 said:

ah a go pro strapped to his chest. herrrrrrb

Lol.

didn’t even notice the camera. 

23 hours ago, mark77 said:

Some idiot made the  CBS news the other day for catching some browns at jones, pics of him with his name and @handle on screen. "He fishes for  these sharks and caught FIVE that day, the biggest was over 3' long! Catch of a lifetime!", says the talking head.  First off,  Illegal.  Why doesn't DEC go after this guy, do they not watch news or flip thru social media? He admits to targeting and catching prohibited species, seems like an open and shut case. Make the new headline "Shark Poacher caught and fined, loses license."  Educate the public, don't spread misinformation.  Second, not impressed at all with little browns. Maybe if he pulled up a bull or small great white, but still not really newsworthy.  These things are a dime a dozen once the water gets warm. I'm more impressed by the big ass cobia swimming out there or the black drum.

It wasn't that long ago that  shark fishing was kept relatively quiet,  it wasn't some huge secret, but def wasn't on the nightly news.  Like you said, an easy and entertaining way to kill a summer night. Then a certain internet fisherguy started posting his excursions at jones beach and the whole thing blew up.  I thought for sure the DEC would be going after these kids who paddle out bunker past the break on swimming beaches during the day and post themselves , instead they stop me at night on my town beach a mile from the entrance to ask questions.  They "heard" about shark fishing happening here. Ya, no **** sherlock, heard of LI Shark guy? He's here during the day,  scaring families, dragging em up into the sand right in front of the entrance. Go find him instead of hiding in the dunes at night. 

I was surprised when I walked down the beach with my 7’ rod and deadly dick to target some blues and saw a line up of guys shark fishing. Had to be at least a dozen. This was at 12pm on a Sunday.

"I am targeting spinner and black tip sharks" biggest Bull**** ever. This goofball is all over youtube with the rest of them. Half the idiots don't even know how to cast they fly their bait out with drones/ kayak baits out. Sad state of affairs.