Drumfish420

Punta Cana from the beach?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Looking at taking a trip to Secrets Cap Cana in February, and am looking for any advice on whether its worth packing a travel rod and gear.  Been reading about tarpon and snook from the beaches early and late.  Thanks for any help!

Adam

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Drumfish420 said:

Looking at taking a trip to Secrets Cap Cana in February, and am looking for any advice on whether its worth packing a travel rod and gear.  Been reading about tarpon and snook from the beaches early and late.  Thanks for any help!

Adam

After our 2nd morning of surf fishing, we were told by the manger of the resort we were staying along with the police chief that it was illegal to surf fish the beaches of Cap Cano. It sucked cause we were hammering big snook, jacks, and did hook a tarpon briefly. Mostly at !st light till about 8am. That was 4yrs ago, maybe they changed the law.

Edited by bstriping

Hi Drum, I've been to a decent amount of all inclusive resorts in Mexico, The DR, and the Caribbean, most don't want you fishing out front.  I was at Secrets - Cap Cana in Spring 2021, one of my favorites, it's great, didn't see anyone surf fishing.

Screw that..

I'll be heading out on my honeymoon sometime November/december.  Not sure where yet..

I'm bringing my travel rod regardless and i'm fishing where ever I please.

That sucks.  Would never stay at a place that doesn't allow fishing.  F all inclussives....

Posted (edited)

Did our wedding last September at Dreams Macao Beach (same AMR ownership).    They were not cool about fishing from shore in dominica...

Did some diving off cap cana.. water was beautiful, tons of jacks and other small fish.  just be mindful there is a absolute ton of eel grass in the surf there with the onshore wind.

Edited by GarbageFish

Posted (edited)

I have been going to an all-inclusive north of Tulum Mx. for years, and have always fished... I think it was last year they told me it was illegal to fish in front of the resort... I think it was BS, but stopped... I'm taking my gear and giving it a try again this year... So we'll see... I have even given snapper to the head chef, and he prepared one for my lunch (and a couple for his) on one occasion.. I usually take 2 rigs, and let one of the other guest use it... All guest seem interested, but I guess someone could have gone behind my back, and complained...

Butch

ipr2BV9.jpg

Edited by Midnightpass

3 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Screw that..

I'll be heading out on my honeymoon sometime November/december.  Not sure where yet..

I'm bringing my travel rod regardless and i'm fishing where ever I please.

Breaking laws in third world countries is often a bad idea.

No US Constitution to protect the rich gringos can translate into being shaken down by local authorities with threats that, as a practical matter, they can enforce.  What might bring a slap on the wrist in the civilized Bahamas can turn into a very different situation in other places that do not benefit from the English legal traditions.

If you're willing to flout local laws, you might want to bring enough cash to cover the ensuing bribes.

1 hour ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Any particular reason resorts forbid fishing on their property?

Can be a lot of reasons.

The snorklers get upset, they might fear that struggling fish can draw sharks and barracuda, or the signt of people taking hooks out of fish can distress some of the folks who equate angling with torturing wildlife.  And sonetimes its as simple as trying to funnel any angling activity to guides/cvaptains who pay a commission if the resort gives them business.

But often, it;s not the resort's call, it's local law.  A lot of places that cater to divers have declared large areas of the shoreline no-take marine protected areas.  I ran into that on Grankd Turk, and have friends who have run into it elsewhere in the Caribbean.  And those are the places that you need to worry about, because as I mentijoned in my earler post, the lawst thing that you want is to put yourselves in the position of violating a local statute.

Posted (edited)

22 mins ago, CWitek said:

Can be a lot of reasons.

The snorklers get upset, they might fear that struggling fish can draw sharks and barracuda, or the signt of people taking hooks out of fish can distress some of the folks who equate angling with torturing wildlife.  And sonetimes its as simple as trying to funnel any angling activity to guides/cvaptains who pay a commission if the resort gives them business.

But often, it;s not the resort's call, it's local law.  A lot of places that cater to divers have declared large areas of the shoreline no-take marine protected areas.  I ran into that on Grankd Turk, and have friends who have run into it elsewhere in the Caribbean.  And those are the places that you need to worry about, because as I mentijoned in my earler post, the lawst thing that you want is to put yourselves in the position of violating a local statute.

Very good point regarding local laws. 

I should add that I have no intention of violating any local regulations, however, if surf fishing is forbidden because the "resort doesn't allow it", then i'll happily take my all-inclusive business to another resort.  Otherwise, i'm sneaking in a cast on the off hours.

So far from what i've researched, surf fishing regulations are pretty laxed in some areas (Mexico for instance)..  I'm strictly catch-n-release so no intention of harvesting anything. 

I haven't researched the other areas mentioned above.  But looks like i'm crossing Punta Cana off the list of potential. 

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

59 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Very good point regarding local laws. 

I should add that I have no intention of violating any local regulations, however, if surf fishing is forbidden because the "resort doesn't allow it", then i'll happily take my all-inclusive business to another resort.  Otherwise, i'm sneaking in a cast on the off hours.

So far from what i've researched, surf fishing regulations are pretty laxed in some areas (Mexico for instance)..  I'm strictly catch-n-release so no intention of harvesting anything. 

I haven't researched the other areas mentioned above.  But looks like i'm crossing Punta Cana off the list of potential. 

If you limit your fishing to off-hours, it’s not impossible, wherever you go, that a few dollars slipped into the right hands will lead to the local personnel developing a case of nearsightedness at the times the manager is off the premises.

Posted (edited)

48 mins ago, CWitek said:

If you limit your fishing to off-hours, it’s not impossible, wherever you go, that a few dollars slipped into the right hands will lead to the local personnel developing a case of nearsightedness at the times the manager is off the premises.

Strictly off-hours for me. 

Before 1st light, after sunset.  I've never enjoyed fishing on populated hours.

And way ahead of you, been saving all of my dollar bills for this day. 

I appreciate the feedback. 

@Drumfish420, sorry for hijacking your thread...  I'll have to report back here after my trip.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

Posted (edited)

lol this isnt sneaking onto long island north shore beaches.... they have guards sit on the beach.   

i did see a surf instructor bending a tourist over some driftwood.... i thought SOL would appreciate that story.

Edited by GarbageFish