Finneus

Casting Eggs

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

I’ve never used them, should I? Any tricks or just tie it in line with something small and cast away? Do they mess with the normal action of the lure? 

I have a few spots with shallow water that can get packed with some really small bait. Always a challenge to throw something that will match and get out more than 10 feet 

It's pretty simple.  

I like the wooden eggs. Bought a few then made a bunch. 

I use teasers alot.  Or a hook & gulp.   Small bucktail jigs too. Bout an arm length of leader.   

I just bomb them out and crawl em back.   

If the water is dead flat, Ill use em to launch a bait.  Just let it drift.  Same arm length of leader, but I'll use the hanger for the hook for the cast.  With teasers and lightweight stuff I don't both with it. 

I like using casting bobbers 

Maybe, because I was using them for bonitos on the West coast.

Those are casting floats; you fill them with water and you can regulate the weight you are casting out.

Could be anywhere from 1/4 oz to almost 2oz.

My teasers/flies are from 16 to 36 inches behind it.

They shine for me this time of year when fish can be keyed in on tiny bait. I also like to use them in the spring with a (relatively) large squid fly. 

12 hours ago, Popasilov said:

I like using casting bobbers 

Maybe, because I was using them for bonitos on the West coast.

Those are casting floats; you fill them with water and you can regulate the weight you are casting out.

Could be anywhere from 1/4 oz to almost 2oz.

My teasers/flies are from 16 to 36 inches behind it.

Do you fish for stripers on the right coast, like we do for the bonito on the left coast? Rip 'em in, or like you would for a trout with bobber and fly?

Butch

Could something like this be attached to a smaller crank bait (i.e. SP minnow, etc) to get it out a bit further or not the right application?

16 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

If you fish for stripers during the daylight you should be using the egg and a jig rig. It is probably THE best searching lure combo you can fish during the day. I've seen it out fish a lot of "killers". The egg usually weighs around two oz. and casts like a bullet. You can usually buy them on line or in local B and T's.  Tie a 40 or 50 pound test leader to it and a small white bucktail (3/8 or 1/2 oz.) with trailer. As good as they are a lot of guys still don't know what they are. 

Cool man, how long of a leader do you typically use? do you find that you need to adjust the length often? 

9 hours ago, Camhabib said:

Could something like this be attached to a smaller crank bait (i.e. SP minnow, etc) to get it out a bit further or not the right application?

I can’t imagine a scenario where you would need or want a casting egg to deliver a typical SW plastic swimmer like an SP. It’s not likely to stay on the little screw or nail (hook hanger), and then the two objects would end up helicoptering in the air resulting in less overall distance.

Extra distance on a plastic swimmer: the first things coming to mind are Using thinner line, and a 9.5-11’ blank with that roughly 1 OZ sweet spot & a reel matched well to the guides/build. 

———

Even bucktails or jigs should be super lightweight or else hung off the little nail/screw hook hanger if your objective is distance. 

I don’t use that hanger just about ever. Too annoying to deal with when you are standing in the water and unnecessary for most offerings. 

But if you’re confined to the sand, the bank, or a jetty, it’s a nice option to have if you wanna use a .5 ounce or heavier jig/bucktail. Still, I don’t use the casting egg for distance per se. (gets decent to good distance though.) I use it to throw things like teasers and 1/4 - 3/8 OZ bucktails. 

10 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

Do you fish for stripers on the right coast, like we do for the bonito on the left coast? Rip 'em in, or like you would for a trout with bobber and fly?

Butch

LOL

Hi Butch

Yes, I do.

Did a lots of bonito fishing on Avalon pier and Two Harbors, Catalina Island

Every chance I had I was going over there.

Take care

Mike

16 mins ago, EricDice said:

Extra distance on a plastic swimmer: the first things coming to mind are Using thinner line, and a 9.5-11’ blank with that roughly 1 OZ sweet spot & a reel matched well to the guides/build. 

LOL

Should I name that tune?

:point:

7 hours ago, Popasilov said:

LOL

Should I name that tune?

:point:

it’s your call! ;-)

During one eventful Albie Season at Breezy Point pods were busting from Coney Island to the end of the Ambros. Among all the crazy's zooming about was a little 10hp tin skiff with two guys out-catching every other boat 3/4 to one. Both were using Snapper Poppers (the white plastic floats trailing little tubes) the ones you give your kids to toss. Go figure.

On 8/16/2022 at 11:47 AM, JimmyBean said:

Cool man, how long of a leader do you typically use? do you find that you need to adjust the length often? 

32"-36". No