Camhabib

Sand spike recommendations

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I'm currently using a home-made PVC pipe with an angle cut end, but I'm looking for something a bit more secure. I've seen a few with aluminum spikes, foot pegs, etc, that look a lot easier to use and less likely to work its way out. Any (reasonable) size / weight is fine as this would be carried at most ~50 feet.

Like you I started out with simple PVC pipe arrangement. But I didn't like it when I wanted to move a spike. I cut down my spikes to about 24" and bolted them onto 4' green fence posts (u-posts?) from HD or Lowes. Quick and easy to place or move and haven't had any problem with them moving (yet anyway)

2 mins ago, Frank2104 said:

Like you I started out with simple PVC pipe arrangement. But I didn't like it when I wanted to move a spike. I cut down my spikes to about 24" and bolted them onto 4' green fence posts (u-posts?) from HD or Lowes. Quick and easy to place or move and haven't had any problem with them moving (yet anyway)

I saw some how-to guides on making something like this myself, but to be honest, I was hoping to save myself a little bit of time by throwing some money at the issue and just purchasing one. Not how I normally like to do things but, what the situation calls for at the moment unfortunately.

2 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

How long is yours now?   

I make mine about 5ft. 

I cut mine I believe at around 3 feet, but the larger issue is just getting it in the ground at my local beach with how many stones are around. Was thinking an aluminum spike might make things a bit easier for me.

Over The Waves Sand Spikes.  I made my own custom 5' spikes in the past but the OTW sand spikes are the best I've ever used.  Joe Moore in Avon, NC has them in stock.  His company is called One More Cast and he will ship.  They come in two sizes, I bought the smaller of the two.  You may also be able to buy direct from OTW, they are based out of Delaware.  

I've been using the Fish-N-Mate and love it.   It used to be sold by a company in North Carolina, but I've seen them at some local tackle shops.  Decent size with welded on foot pegs.   My first one gave out after about 8 years, and the second one is still going strong after about the same time.   I added 18 inches of PCV, held on with a hose clamp to give it even more height.   Highly recommended.   

The aluminum ones mentioned above are nice units. I have an anglers mate I use for baiting purposes if need be. I made my own with aluminum angle and tubing with SS hardware. I don’t encounter much rocks or stones in my fishing. I do use a rubber mallet to set them mine nice and secure. I’m also fishing from my truck.  5 feet is a good length to keep your line out of the near shore breakers with 11-12 foot rod. 

Posted (edited)

I will second the Fish-N-Mate 266 Aluminum Sand Spike. Good and strong, made of aluminum so it won't rust and is fairly lightweight to carry. Just make sure to pull out your file/deburring set and give all the edges a once over (including inside the tube). Nothing like having a stray burr cut into your rod or your hand...

I say this for any cut metal, as inspectors don't inspect every single item and things do get missed (and you don't want to be the one to have your nice epoxy coated rod destroyed by someone else's mistake or lose a day fishing because you sliced open your hand).

Edited by FallenKell
Clarified the version of the spike

Heavy snow fence post with pvc bolted near the top. Not flush so I can hammer it deep into the sand. 

I made mine out of angle iron and old piping laying around the house.

About 5 feet in length and notched at the end to drive her down deep in the sand. 

Sometimes my rod bends down to the butt when I get a strike while not paying attention.  Stays securely in place.

Message_1630155643540-1.jpg

Pretty Quick project if you already have PVC Spikes... Went to Home Depot and picked up 2 - 4' sections of 2"x2" Angle Aluminum and 4 Pipe clamps... Laid the PVC Spikes into the Angle Aluminum and clamped it down (2 Clamps per spike).. Not super pretty but only a 10 minute project and did the job.