coastalfreak

Shimano Spheros SW vs Spinfisher VI

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey folks, 

My Battle 2 is finally dying on me after years of service. Looking to replace it with something more sealed. I’ve been very impressed with Spinfishers I’ve seen in stores, and I’ve heard great reviews coming in from the Spheros SW. 

Which one of these reels would you prefer for chunking 2-4 oz? I’ll be fishing dropper rigs and Carolina rigs for a variety of species, with dead and live bait. Probably will fish a 9 or 10 foot rod. 

Thanks in advance. 
CF

Edited by coastalfreak

Spheros SWA? I have the SWA 6000. It has a good seal. It doesn't throw windknots. High gear. Sort of a geary reel--or many of them seem to be geary. I know Snookslayr had a good experience with getting his reel serviced. 

Posted (edited)

II have the newer and older Spheros.  Been a reliable reel . Never a hiccup .saw some selling for 25% off. 

well only hiccup on the older one was i dropped reel and I think the clicker must have had something happen , cause it became silent. other than that, not a wind knot and no change in feel. the handle a little looser, but honestly thats all. 

Edited by jeffapeikin

Posted (edited)

Me & the boys got I think 7 or 8 swa's all together, most are a little geary but they're extremely free spinning. I used them for tarpon in the surf and from boat, dunked, splashed, 100-200 yard runs, heavy constant pressure on fish etc. they keep trucking. They replaced saltigas, torques, makairas and slammers lol. 

Edited by Snook_Slayr

Spheros 6k. I have 2 SSVI LLs, a 4500 and a 6500. 4500 is for small stuff and the 6500 is for heaving and heavier duties. My spheros fits in the niche of throwing 4-6 oz for medium chunking and also for general plugging. The spheros 6k if the way to go I think.

Having both they do there job,can't see any real advantage in either one over the other.

20 mins ago, ozifish said:

Having both they do their job, can't see any real advantage in either one over the other.

I also have both and I feel like the spinfisher 6 in larger sizes (6500+) is more rigid than the spheros. I don't think the spheros has a metal rotor, even in the larger sizes like the SSVI does, could be wrong. Not saying the spheros isn't rigid... it's a solid little thing. I also think the spheros has a nicer handle knob compared to the stock handles on the SSVI's. The spheros is lighter (6k is around 15-16 oz) while a 5500 SSVI is 18-19 oz. My spheros is a lot nicer feeling than the SSVI. My 6k is a lot less geary than either of my SSVI's. But with what he's fishing with I agree here, one really isn't that much better than the other, other than the weight, which is why I'd say spheros.

I have and use both, my Spheros SW is the original version, i don’t think these reels had similar price points but as I said I use and like both.

17 hours ago, Snook_Slayr said:

Me & the boys got I think 7 or 8 swa's all together, most are a little geary but they're extremely free spinning. I used them for tarpon in the surf and from boat, dunked, splashed, 100-200 yard runs, heavy constant pressure on fish etc. they keep trucking. They replaced saltigas, torques, makairas and slammers lol. 

This is what guys should take to the bank. 

Haven’t fished for tarpon myself, but I seem to hear that this is about as much stress as you can put on a reel while inshore fishing for the typical SOLer. 

And the Spheros SWA price is better than reasonable if your experiences are as taxing on the reel as I suspect. 

My 6K Spheros I bought this season put a beating on the gator blues up to 36" over the weekend. I must have landed over 15+ blues and the reel is still smooth.

Spheros SWA and it’s not as FUGLY as the previous model. It can pass as a Stella if you don’t have a 20/20 vision.

Have nothing but great things to say about the Spheros. Have a new 8000 from this year and it’s super smooth and a lot of horsepower to bring in fish. I even full on dunked it a few trips walking out to rocks and it never went bad with some washing